Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Indiana_Doc

I am thinking about buying MS train sim. I was wondering what you guys thought of that program. Also are there any good LIRR add-ons (rocking stock and railroad extensions) for this program? Any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Indiana

by JoeLIRR

You can get some LIRR equpt @ train-sim.com (sreat a user name n password. its free)

I also have some costom LIRR equpt that I painted my self including the M1/M3's, GP38s/ MP15, in all 3 schemes. and so on.

Joe (enfinite) also has LIRR/NYA equpt for MSTS.

by jpsigchi

JoeLIRR, can you post screen shots of your rolling stock? thanks

by emfinite

I am still trying to finish them:

by Mr Met

Are you going to post the m-1's and m-3's on train-sim

by JoeLIRR

Currently none of the equpt will be posted on any WWW. I hope to post the mp15's and the geeps. due to testure maping there is a lil things that are not protipicaly accurat to LI but thats msts for you. ill see if i can get some more pics posted.

by JoeLIRR

Heres the screen shots.

most are in shape viewer.

by Indiana_Doc

Wow!!! Those are beautiful. Any one modeling some of the LIRR lines?

Indiana

by SeldenJrFireman

Uh, those are cool. I am in aw because I have no clue how to do that. Nice work guys!

by JoeLIRR

i learned mostly on my own. lota trial/error and way too much time
texture maping is a real pain. i also have some FAs but can post right now
i any one wants.

drop a post/ IM n ill try to upload it to train-sim .com

by lirrmike

Please send me those LIRR engines!

Mike

by alcoc420

I have been using MSTS for over a year and a half, and find it to be worth the money. Unfortunately, I have not worked on my HO layout since I got MSTS. The two US routes that come with the game are OK, but they are not my favorites. I bought Sandpatch, the DH Bridge Line, and the Erie mining RR, and I made my own LIRR Port Jeff Branch. I bought Erie Mining for the RS11's. Learning how to make my own was the hardest learning I have done in many years, but it was worth it.

Train-Sim.com has so many add-ons. Learning how to take cabs and sounds from one loco, and adding them to others can be quite a challenge.

It would be nice if there were one product with LI routes and equipment, but there is not. Nevertheless, you can piece together enough to make a good time. I have LIRR RS1's, RS3's, C420's, GP38-2's, MP15's, and FA's. One RS-3 I painted, all the others were from train-sim or a guy in Quebec. I have a C-liner and an H16-44 that I would like to repaint to LIRR livery.

I have found the PRR signals available at Train-Sim to be too faint to read until 50 feet away. So I use BO color/position signals.

Around January I felt I was spending too much time on this, and I drifted to other hobbies, but I returned last week. Just for fun I piloted train 656 with a GP38-2 and 8 coaches east from Hicksville circa 1984. I had a moving meet with RF61 (2 C420's, 8 coal empties and 8 salt empties) west of Syosset. I was 7 minutes behind schedule when I decided to quit at Northport.

The bottom line is: you can do OK with a minimum of effort, but if you want lots of realism, it will take a lot of time to customize your sim.

by JoeLIRR

It does take alot to coustomize your msts, im relitively good with aliasing souns & cabs it takes alota trial & error. i would love to learn to build routes. if i knew how to i woulda expended your lirrpj route, alcoc420.

i also took a copy of the NEC 4.1 route and put 1940's cars and run PRR & so on activites. the prr signals would really look great, but does any one know how to change the scripts to just change the colors of the lights.

i also organised my route and seperated my consists accordingly. only one rute at a time will load. "the game loads a bit faster."

ill try to up load these locos to train-sim.com. they still need to be zipped and need a "readme" and so on.

by alcoc420

JoeLIRR:

I started to extend the line to Jamaica, but it would not save. I'll figure out why and continue. Once I can save the the tiles, extending the tracks accurately should not be nearly as difficult as the first the Port Jeff. Not only are there fewer curves and grades, experience and a better technique will help. However, the switches at Jamaica will be a challenge.

I see there is the new MP15 on train-sim.com. Looks good.

by Mr Met

any more mp's