Railroad Forums 

• Lake Shore Limited

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1634915  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:25 am The Rennselaer shop is "the place" for maintenance on P42s according to Amtrak. They love the work they do to the point most if not all problem children show up there. It will be the last hold out for GE products on the Amtrak system this was straight from upper upper level Amtrak. I personally have yet to receive any classes on the new Yugos I mean ALC42s nor have any of my brother racoons in the E part of T&E or the folks at the shop. They will not just show up there will be a test train or 5 so Amtrak can be sure the cab signal, ACSES, and I-ETMS work as intended until it goes into revenue service, because it always happens, never fails. Plus they will need to train about fifty of us to start. On how to make it stop and go, troubleshooting issues and so forth.
Did P42 #130 make it to the shop last week? I was surprised they ran it on the following run on 48 after we hit a car in Toledo (see above). It had a bad equipment order when it hit Chicago.
 #1634921  by Champlain Division

Well, I pretty much surmised that, but now I know for sure. Gonna be a loooong time! Give me a heads up if one sneaks up on us, k?
 #1634922  by RandallW

Railjunkie wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:25 am The Rennselaer shop is "the place" for maintenance on P42s according to Amtrak. They love the work they do to the point most if not all problem children show up there. It will be the last hold out for GE products on the Amtrak system this was straight from upper upper level Amtrak. I personally have yet to receive any classes on the new Yugos I mean ALC42s nor have any of my brother racoons in the E part of T&E or the folks at the shop. They will not just show up there will be a test train or 5 so Amtrak can be sure the cab signal, ACSES, and I-ETMS work as intended until it goes into revenue service, because it always happens, never fails. Plus they will need to train about fifty of us to start. On how to make it stop and go, troubleshooting issues and so forth.
Is this because the P32AC-DMs are not being replaced by the ALC42s, so all remaining GEs will eventually be handled out of Rennselaer?
 #1634931  by CSRR573

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:25 pm
Did P42 #130 make it to the shop last week? I was surprised they ran it on the following run on 48 after we hit a car in Toledo (see above). It had a bad equipment order when it hit Chicago.
I believe we sent the 130 up to Maine for use on the DE. I think i saw it had anew plow on it.

And to RailJunkie, I know our siemens techs were supposed to go to Albany to help set up that place for when ever the ALC's come your way, however that plan fell through and im not sure what the plan is now. I've had some very basic mechanical training on the ALC's. Basically a ACS with one cab and a diesel engine. Trucks are the same (nightmare design for Maintenace vs a P42) and I've been told that Amtrak mechanical forces wont be allowed to touch the prime mover, that is supposed to be contracted out to a CAT mechanic when issues arise. Howver i think that might just be a rumer for now. And good luck to you driving the things. The engineers i talk to hate the ACS'
 #1634949  by Railjunkie

Maybe I read it on here maybe I didn't but after your trip with with the intercourse with the car the 130 lost its plow on a crossing derailing the lead truck on the café car. It made to Rennselaer eventually that night if I remember correctly.
 #1634950  by Railjunkie

RandallW wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:50 pm
Is this because the P32AC-DMs are not being replaced by the ALC42s, so all remaining GEs will eventually be handled out of Rennselaer?
I have heard through the rumor mill it could be 5 years or more before my fellow raccoons see a replacement for the P32ACDM. By that time I will be sipping high quality bourbon and smoking a cigar on my deck somewhere other than NYS.
 #1634951  by Railjunkie

CSRR573 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:25 pm
I believe we sent the 130 up to Maine for use on the DE. I think i saw it had anew plow on it.

And to RailJunkie, I know our siemens techs were supposed to go to Albany to help set up that place for when ever the ALC's come your way, however that plan fell through and im not sure what the plan is now. I've had some very basic mechanical training on the ALC's. Basically a ACS with one cab and a diesel engine. Trucks are the same (nightmare design for Maintenace vs a P42) and I've been told that Amtrak mechanical forces wont be allowed to touch the prime mover, that is supposed to be contracted out to a CAT mechanic when issues arise. Howver i think that might just be a rumer for now. And good luck to you driving the things. The engineers i talk to hate the ACS'
Plan, its the railroad we don't plan...
I heard the shop boys talking a while back about the possibility of a whole new building for these things. Then a machinist I know pretty well said he was in a meeting with some pretty high ranking officials and they were told Rennselaer = P42s
 #1634952  by Railjunkie

Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:30 am “YUGOS”! Now that’s a great cultural reference!
Lastly Mr Smith

Younger brother had one. It was cheaply made you could maybe get it up to 70mph downhill with a tailwind forget climbing any steep grades. It was like a semi truck you were always down shifting. Heat what heat no A/C I think it would have killed the car.
I will say my brother did survive a roll down a hill with it he rolled the car a couple of times all he had were some bumps and bruises. The car a giant blue paperweight. Remined me of my mom's Le Car or Le Junk as I was fond of calling it.
 #1634981  by CSRR573

Railjunkie wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:11 am Plan, its the railroad we don't plan...
I heard the shop boys talking a while back about the possibility of a whole new building for these things. Then a machinist I know pretty well said he was in a meeting with some pretty high ranking officials and they were told Rennselaer = P42s
Aint the the truth! Speaking of new buildings, we're supposed to get new buildings for the A2's and the Airos in 2026. I joke I'll be retired before that happens and I've got 15+ years left! I for one hope the P42s last as long as possible, they're just easier to work on
 #1634985  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:01 am
Maybe I read it on here maybe I didn't but after your trip with with the intercourse with the car the 130 lost its plow on a crossing derailing the lead truck on the café car. It made to Rennselaer eventually that night if I remember correctly.
130 was the lead on 49(29) when it hit the car outside Toledo, and the plow was askew. From some rail fans (and some Amtrak folk in the same circles) it got hit with a bad equipment order in Chicago and was supposed to be repaired there, but instead it got sent out on 48(30) or 48(1) without any work on it and dropped the plow on route.

That is when I was glad I was taking Cap Limited 30(4) home.

I don't know what the mechanical forces in Chicago did, but I gotta assume it was "nothing."
 #1635059  by Railjunkie

STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:34 am
Railjunkie wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:01 am
130 was the lead on 49(29) when it hit the car outside Toledo, and the plow was askew. From some rail fans (and some Amtrak folk in the same circles) it got hit with a bad equipment order in Chicago and was supposed to be repaired there, but instead it got sent out on 48(30) or 48(1) without any work on it and dropped the plow on route.

I don't know what the mechanical forces in Chicago did, but I gotta assume it was "nothing."
I just go with a old Conrail saying, it was "Lopez" who took care of it.
 #1635067  by STrRedWolf

Railjunkie wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:34 am
STrRedWolf wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:34 am 130 was the lead on 49(29) when it hit the car outside Toledo, and the plow was askew. From some rail fans (and some Amtrak folk in the same circles) it got hit with a bad equipment order in Chicago and was supposed to be repaired there, but instead it got sent out on 48(30) or 48(1) without any work on it and dropped the plow on route.

I just go with a old Conrail saying, it was "Lopez" who took care of it.
This reminds me of a Bugs Bunny cartoon where Yosemite Sam was playing a jail warden named "Shultz" that kept getting called into the office for reprimands.
 #1635153  by NHV 669

Smoke, as noted in the article... the only access from across the tracks is a gated road next to the sludge treatment plant, so unlikely they would have run hoses across the tracks. The only way in is a road that crosses the parallel NS line.
Screenshot_20231217_161452_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20231217_161452_Maps.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 531 times
48 lost roughly 3 hours.
Last edited by NHV 669 on Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.