• Juniata Terminal PRR E-8s Return to NY&LB 6/15

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by kevikens

Echoing the PRR Tech writer electrical engineer and the GG1 . I live near the Juniata Terminal and will be among the first to volunteer my services to get a GG1 back in service. Any others ?

by Otto Vondrak

If you want to discuss reactivating a G, please start a new thread. Let's keep this thread about the successful NYLB trip.

-otto-

by OCtrainguy

I was born and raised in Point Pleasant, and my first real memories I have weren't until the fall of 1987. My soccer practice was at the VFW field behind the post office in Pt. Pleasant Beach. I remember seeing the NJT E8s come into Pt. Pleasant Beach, always paired, at the end of the day. And then they were retired in 1988, if memory serves me correctly. So when I was informed that the PRR E8A units would pull a special train in my neck of the woods, I couldn't wait to see it. And I was glad I did.

I picked up my photos over the weekend and I hope (key word) to start scanning them tonight. I never really anticipated seeing an excursion train on the ol' NY&LB. I am glad at least one has worked out so far!

by BlockLine_4111

So Amtrak did not object to running these E8s on the NEC? (My prior question).

by nick11a

BlockLine_4111 wrote:So Amtrak did not object to running these E8s on the NEC? (My prior question).
Well, these have run on Amtrak territory before I do believe, so, they've been prior cleared on the NEC. I'm sure Amtrak didn't necessarily like though that this train was late coming back east during the rush hour but oh well. :-)

by Bennett Levin

The locomotives are specifically listed in the Amtrak ETT by road number and are limited to 90 MPH. They carry the full compliment of FRA mandated electronics for operation on the NEC.

The cars on the train are rated to run at 110MPH.

by nick11a

Bennett Levin wrote:The locomotives are specifically listed in the Amtrak ETT by road number and are limited to 90 MPH. They carry the full compliment of FRA mandated electronics for operation on the NEC.

The cars on the train are rated to run at 110MPH.
That's pretty impressive and not bad there. Kudos.

by BlockLine_4111

Thanks for clarifying.

Visions of summer, surf, and six axled covered wagons returning to the shore.

Nice! :wink:

by Bennett Levin

If you have some time to kill and are interested in restoration of the E units here is a link to the PRRTHS site. The photographs are by Steve Agostini and he documented the almost day by day performance of the work.

If you want to see the same story about the 5711, just change the number in the link from 5809 to 5711.

Enjoy!

http://www.prrths.com/Phila_PRR5809_Res ... n_Menu.htm

by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Tri-State Tom wrote:All -

* Who of you were the 3 gents up by the Shark River draw for the southbound run ?

* Who of you were among the 8-10 guys on the Rt.35 bridge at Brielle awaiting the northbound run ?

* There was a crowd of about 25-30 folks at Bay Head when we arrived after chasing ( slowly ! ) the E's down from Belmar. Anyone from here ?

Hey, let's do this again soon, eh ?
I was one of those on the Rte. 35 bridge at Brielle for the northbound run. I was the one in the grey shirt, green shorts, backwards purple SU hat.

I was also shooting at Bay Head after missing him at Point Pleasant Beach on the southbound run.

As for the 'let's do it again'...all I have to say is HECK YEA!!!!!! That was a very fun and memorable day. It was my first solo chase which I will be makign a full trip report soon! A very special thanks goes out to Bennett Levin as well as NJT and everyone else involved in making June 15th happen!!!

by Tri-State Tom

Bennett -

**** From 1944 through 1955 I spent my summers in Belmar watching trains when I was supposed to be at the Beach.

Belmar was a great place to grow up with trains. K4s and a daily E6 on the train that came the back way from Mommouth Jct. CNJ T class Camelback and Pacificis as well as Blue and Tangerine (with a red stripe) double ended Baldwins and FM road switchers in the 1500 series.

Belmar had a remore baggage room at 9th St on the NB side. The agent was a man whose name was Duncan. Mr. Fenton had a green truck and met each train carrying mail and ferried the mail to and from the PO at 13th and F Sts. Every morning the frieght peddler (CNJ) work north.

Then there was Freedman's Bakery, The Rivoli and Realto movies, Sidderoff's hot dog stand, and Caplan's newstand at 8th and F where I found my first RMC.

There was a NB CNJ train that departed at 4:14 with an RPO with a mail slot. Needless to say it was never to great a chore to take the mail to the "mail box". ****

I'd forgotten from a previous conversation that we had shared Belmar summers in our respective childhoods.

Sounds like you've got just a few years on me. We annually rented a house on 18th Ave. for a month just a block in from Ocean Ave. from about 1949 thru 1965 or so. Blimps, miniature golf on the beach, daily lunch breaks at Sideroff's, the 16th Ave. pier, the Dairy Queen, pony rides in a small pen on the corner of 15th and Ocean and of course, the early evening trips over to Belmar station to meet Pop who commuted to/from NYC Monday thru Thursday when we were on vacation.

As a youngster, I can vividly recall being scared to death of those big black beasts with one 'eye' belching black smoke as it passed under the Shark River draw and rolled to a whistle-blowin' stop at the station. Decades later I learned to call them K4's. I can also vividly recall being on the beach during the day and being able to hear the whistles of those K4's as they made their way down to Bay Head - AND - follow their progress by the black smoke gently rising above the trees just behind them.

Later came the steady evening parade of green and yellow CNJ and tuscan and yellow Pennsy diesels hauling old green or matching tuscan coaches in trains that often were 10-12 cars in length. Years later I learned these diesels were Baldwins, Geeps and E6's.

Last Thursday afternoon....well, for a couple hours it was 1962 or 63 again. The day was sunny with a wiff of showers about, Sideroff's had dogs and burgers grillin' and a couple tuscan E units were once again passin' over Shark River draw with heritage coaches on the NY&LB....

Thanks again !

by OCtrainguy

Here are my photos from Brielle, where the Brielle station once stood, as the train made its way to Bay Head.

http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... x?id=13563

I hope to have my Manasquan photos for the northbound run scanned between tonight and tomorrow morning before work. Enjoy!

by transit383

OCtrainguy wrote:Here are my photos from Brielle, where the Brielle station once stood, as the train made its way to Bay Head.

http://octrainguy.rrpicturearchives.net ... x?id=13563

I hope to have my Manasquan photos for the northbound run scanned between tonight and tomorrow morning before work. Enjoy!

Just out of curiousity, where was the old Brielle station? The area in your photos looks to be near the Fisk Avenue crossing.

by PRRTechFan

transit383 wrote:
Just out of curiousity, where was the old Brielle station? The area in your photos looks to be near the Fisk Avenue crossing.
It is Fisk Avenue, and the old Brielle Station was located just about where the photographer was standing while taking the shots that show the crossing gates.