Railroad Forums 

• Housatonic Railroad Thread (Maybrook, Berkshire, Pittsfield)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1630325  by Jeff Smith

First time I fanned Hopewell Junction it was the mid-80’s or so and although the Maybrook proper westward towards the bridge was gone the Beacon secondary was still active with ConRail. Shame. From a foamer perspective it would be a neat route for Hudson trains into White Plains.
 #1632120  by Jeff Smith

Already discussed:
Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:03 am Eastern portion of Maybrook to be rehabbed: PDF link (railroads.dot.gov)
Connecticut – Housatonic Railroad Service Restoration and Safety Investment Project (Up to $5,372,500) Housatonic Railroad Company Inc. (HRRC) The proposed project involves final design and construction activities for various track-related improvements and upgrades to multiple bridges. The project aligns with the selection criteria by improving system and service performance and ability to meet existing and anticipated demand as it will restore a portion of HRRC’s rail line that is out of service and improve approximately 18 miles of rail line to increase freight rail capacity and improve operational safety. Also, the project will help HRRC maintain its connection with Pan Am Southern/CSX Transportation and Metro-North. A combination of funds from HRRC and two customers (Oak Ridge Waste and Interstate and Lakeland Lumber) will provide a 30 percent non-Federal match.
 #1634172  by Jeff Smith

This is true. But there have been occasional equipment moves, MNRR would LOVE to get P&W's stone train off of WALK bridge and the Danbury branch, and as a backup for WALK should something happen (not a very good backup, mind you).
 #1634208  by Gilbert B Norman

As I've previously noted here, I'm a bit surprised that the Commonwealth of Tax fixed up the New Haven Pittsfield-Canaan to benefit Becton Dickinson, a Connecticut industry.

Since they seem to be."on a kick" to have a passenger train on every line of consequence in the Commonwealth, I can't dismiss a Pittsfield-Canaan passenger train, even if it is a sure fire loser.
 #1634269  by BandA

I think MA talked up their plans for passenger service, then had to pay extra to buy track. If they had done the reverse it would have saved money. By spending money on trains in western MA, they got support to spend money on the MBTA in eastern MA. Meanwhile the Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum is still embargoed from their home rails by the Housatonic (AFAIK)
 #1634289  by Jeff Smith

BandA wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:02 pm <snip> Meanwhile the Berkshire Scenic Railway Museum is still embargoed from their home rails by the Housatonic (AFAIK)
Which is ironic as (IIRC) Housatonic’s rebirth was , at least in part, for scenic excursions. Considering the amount MA has sunk into their portion of the line, I would think BSRM would be able to run from Lenox now. AFAIK Housy has no scheduled runs on Saturdays.
 #1636612  by shepaug

Unfortunately I have little hope for the Housatonic. How many customers ? Lose one or two ? A railroad going through 'suburban' 'residential' type territory and future customers ? Surely any passenger service would be zero profitable. I still have funny feeling giving up the New York connection is the END. The last rail connection for Connecticut to the west and I-95 and slowly I-84 a total parking lot of trucks. No business now but the only part of system that has ability to support any rail customer. (zoning etc.) New Haven/Danbury/NY Any NYC traffic goes via Selkirk-Beacon ? (CSX) (besides NY and Atlantic and ferry) Maybe crazy speculation stuff but ----- Seems like somebody in Connecticut would like to save a rail link westbound.