• History of the Broad Street Line

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by Franklin Gowen

Clearfield wrote:
Franklin Gowen wrote:a BVTA-sponsored railfan charter trip operated in September 1991.
Was it really that long ago?? I remember that trip.
I'm afraid so, my friend. Time flies like an arrow, eh? :wink:
  by Bill R.

Clearfield wrote:
Franklin Gowen wrote:a BVTA-sponsored railfan charter trip operated in September 1991.
Yes, and the one before that was run in 1988. I'm not into railfanning, but I did go on both of these trips and had a good time. I still have the pamphlets, produced for the most part by George Metz, from both trips.
  by chuchubob

by radioboy

Franklin Gowen wrote:
Clearfield wrote:
I'm afraid so, my friend. Time flies like an arrow, eh? :wink:
Fruit flies like a banana.
  by Midvale

Long time follower. Had to register after scimming this thread yesterday. As a child I spent plenty of time on the orange line and had many questions while tatooed to the window. I have absolutely no rail training, but subways have always intrigued me. I have a bunch of questions. I hope that someone may answer...

1. As a child I remember the Erie station being much larger than it currently is. What happened?
2. Does anyone know how far the upper levels just north of Olney and Erie go? I once asked an engineer and he said that there was a empty tunnel that ran up the boulevard which originated from the Erie station upper level. I was also in the barber shop and heard a firefighter mention that the PFD conducts disaster training in an empty subway tunnel. Neither made since, because if said tunnel existed we would not be pressing for a boulevard extention. Unless..? there is some clandestine plan within Septa to hide this from us because management is to cheap to lay the tracks (possible, but not likely to be hidden for that long).
3.There is a trackless tunnel that shoots north as you travel south bound from Fern Rock. Does anyone know how long that tunnel is and where does it go?
4. There is also an empty tunnel as you exit city hall on the south bound side. Is that part of the old El loop?
5. Are there other tunnels through out the city or within the subway/el system that are not used?
6. Most important. Are there any photos available for any of the aforementioned?

Sorry for the pile up. I'm 33, and for the last 25 years I have had these questions.
  by Clearfield

2. Olney as far as Grange. Erie, enough to hold (I believe) two trains deep.
3. grade separated interlocking ramps that go as far as Grange
  by Suburban Station

I'd guess that extending the tunnel from grange to godfrey, to ogontz to cheltenham is the most effective 2.5 mi extension around, feeding right into the express tracks the the 13 min ride from olney (17-20 min to chelthenham ave)?
Last edited by Suburban Station on Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Clearfield

Actually, the express tracks line up with the ramps to the grade separated interlocking nicely.

When the BSL opened, Olney was the northern terminus.

All of the trackage to Fern Rock was non-revenue. Fern Rock did not have a passenger station until the 1950's
  by Midvale

Extentions to the BSS would make a lot of sense, especially with possible service to the northwestern part of the city (Cheltenham & Ogontz) the boulevard or the naval business center. I really believe that the boulevard extention absolutely be worth the investment. Any ideas of how the other two would fair. I also used to work in the naval business center. I remember my supervisor saying the DOD had a clause stating that it reserved the right re-activate the base if need be. How would that affect mass transit service. Is anyone familiar with this?
  by radioboy

I found this on PhillyHistory.org and thought it was neat. The proposed Center City subway loop circa 1916.

by AlexC

That's a great map... if it was updated for modern times, it would be reach westward, perhaps including University City.
  by John Scott, PA-TEC

Most of that Arch St tunnel was actually built, and is still sitting down there (it was converted to a trail for rats.) You can still find the grates. Also, the concourse runs all the way to Race-Vine. But I had no idea there was a plan to interchange Arch St and Broad St.

That map is worth keeping in mind for the day when 1) They're afraid to run trains over the Ben Franklin and start talking about a river tunnel 2) They give up trying to modernize City Hall station or 3) They bite the bullet and re-guage the MFL. Arch St would probably serve the city better than Market St. Amazing map though.
  by bikentransit

What we could have had....

Out of curiosity, what happend to the Y2K study on the subway? Did it just get shelved because of price?

Does anyone know the original purpose of the turnaround ramp north of Olney Station? Was that for another extension? Last time I went railfanning on the BSL it was used to spin the Ridge Avenue Subway trains.
  by Clearfield

bikentransit wrote:Does anyone know the original purpose of the turnaround ramp north of Olney Station? Was that for another extension? Last time I went railfanning on the BSL it was used to spin the Ridge Avenue Subway trains.
Its a turnaround ramp now, but it was originally built as a grade-separated junction for a route extension north eastward.

There are actually 2 ramps. The other one is the home for the signal bungalow as part of the modernization a few years ago replacing the old US&S Model 14 interlocking machine.