• Green Line Type 9 Thread

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by MBTA3247

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:There may have only been two, because of the Build in Massachusetts clause?
Or because the other companies saw the amount of customization needed and decided it wasn't worth it.
  by octr202

Or just a general fear of getting involved in MBTA contracts. It's expensive to put in a bid, so I can imagine many are just saying "it ain't worth it" especially if their order books are sufficiently full from elsewhere. They may also question whether the Commonwealth has the financial stability to follow through on all of these orders.
  by 3rdrail

I couldn't help but be reminded of ancient history with the LRV's as I read these articles tonight. The first is an article about a recent malfunction on the Muni written by San Francisco Chronicle staff and the second is an article with a brief history of Ansaldo Breda's (their current name) overall performance. The Muni car in the SF Chronicle article is a Breda, #1439.
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/D ... 318644.php

http://transittalk.proboards.com/index. ... thread=761
  by caduceus

diburning wrote:Doesn't Breda still have that Littleton plant? I'd be shocked if the MBTA awarded them the contract though.
I think it has closed...I noticed the AnsaldoBreda sign is finally gone.
  by CircusFreakGRITZ

So has anyone heard any details about the Type 9 procurement? I thought I heard the T was going to announce the winner sometime this month. It's already the 26th and I haven't heard anything.
  by Mcoov

caduceus wrote:
diburning wrote:Doesn't Breda still have that Littleton plant? I'd be shocked if the MBTA awarded them the contract though.
I think it has closed...I noticed the AnsaldoBreda sign is finally gone.
Littleton resident here. It was bought by another company, and half of it has been completely rebuilt.
  by BostonUrbEx

CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:So has anyone heard any details about the Type 9 procurement? I thought I heard the T was going to announce the winner sometime this month. It's already the 26th and I haven't heard anything.
I was unaware there was ever even a bid. Where did you hear this? There's nothing to indicate this in the MBTA's bidding documents.
  by RailBus63

BostonUrbEx wrote:
CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:So has anyone heard any details about the Type 9 procurement? I thought I heard the T was going to announce the winner sometime this month. It's already the 26th and I haven't heard anything.
I was unaware there was ever even a bid. Where did you hear this? There's nothing to indicate this in the MBTA's bidding documents.
The bid is mentioned on the NE Transit inventory page. The additional cars are needed for the Tufts extension.
  by BostonUrbEx

RailBus63 wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:
The bid is mentioned on the NE Transit inventory page. The additional cars are needed for the Tufts extension.
Yes, without the order, there is no way to sustain GLX beyond Brickbottom and Union Square. Which is why I've been skeptical of the current deadline for GLX. I find it highly unlikely that anyone in MassDOT remains committed to such a deadline where I've not seen any bid requests.
  by houseman86

With the transportation bond bill passed and signed finally we will most likely start hearing about all different types of contracts being put of for bid
  by orange1234

It looks like the Type 9 contract will be awarded to CAF USA. Does anyone know what their track record is in the USA besides building the WMATA 5000 series vehicles?
  by deathtopumpkins

CAF is currently building Amtrak's new Viewliner cars.
  by Finch

orange1234 wrote:It looks like the Type 9 contract will be awarded to CAF USA. Does anyone know what their track record is in the USA besides building the WMATA 5000 series vehicles?
Some light rail work in Pittsburgh.