• Finally New Walthers HO Amfleets are on the way!!

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by M1 9147

Now if only Athearn made an AMD 103 model in the P40, P42, and P32AC-DM models! Their first release also included the Metro North, but of coarse it was a P40 model (original look with rear hostler window, and door)!
  by ATK

Amtrak207 wrote:As far as the price for the new Amfleets go, I can see their point in regards to the steep price tag, HOWEVER... with the older models, it was easy to add $50 worth of detail parts, etc to bring them up to "realistic" standards, so I personally don't mind the steeper price tag (as long as Walthers addresses what was wrong with their previous run, which is appears they have.) Looking forward to pre-production photos!
I have to ask, what was "wrong" with the previous run of Amfleet cars? Besides not having enough details? I would have to see one of these new cars in person before making a decision to buy one or not. And most certainly I'm not going to trade in my old fleet just because the new cars are more expensive and might have a few extra detail parts attached to them. Walthers may think that they are justified in charging $75 for a passenger car, but quite frankly they are light years behind Rapido with the level that they set with their passenger cars in terms of details and authenticity.
  by mlrr

ATK wrote:
Amtrak207 wrote:As far as the price for the new Amfleets go, I can see their point in regards to the steep price tag, HOWEVER... with the older models, it was easy to add $50 worth of detail parts, etc to bring them up to "realistic" standards, so I personally don't mind the steeper price tag (as long as Walthers addresses what was wrong with their previous run, which is appears they have.) Looking forward to pre-production photos!
I have to ask, what was "wrong" with the previous run of Amfleet cars? Besides not having enough details? I would have to see one of these new cars in person before making a decision to buy one or not. And most certainly I'm not going to trade in my old fleet just because the new cars are more expensive and might have a few extra detail parts attached to them. Walthers may think that they are justified in charging $75 for a passenger car, but quite frankly they are light years behind Rapido with the level that they set with their passenger cars in terms of details and authenticity.
With all due respect to Walthers...EVERYTHING!!! (especially compared to today's standards)

Wrong cross section
oversized roof vents
Not the best truck design (although conductalube would help)
Incorrect wheelsets
No interior
Windows tinted way too dark (I was ok with this given no interior)
Windows were not truly flush mounted (one side was more flush than the other)

Lets be clear. This is not a re-release of the same model that retailed for about $30. If it were, I'd definitely have a problem with that! New tooling costs money and since this is a new tool "from roof to rails", development costs in general were going to be higher compared to the older model.

Again, let there be no mistake. IT'S NOT JUST ADDED DETAIL!!!! It's a COMPLETELY NEW model.
  by peanut1

I don't own any of the older amfleet cars that walthers put out. I own the bachmann ones. I do plan on getting these as well as the metroliner cab. I have seen the older walthers amfleet cars and really was not crazy about them. The one disadvantage I have with them is no interrior and no lights. The inside is not big enough to put an interrior into it. I am glad walthers is coming out with a new model as it will be more updated with more features than what the older cars have. Was just hoping they come out with Phase V,VB,and maybe the old "Northeast Direct" scheme.
  by Amtrak207

Peanut, give it time for additional phases. It would be ludicrous for them to spend $$$ on research, tooling, molds, marketing, etc for just Ph II and Ph III. :-)

I believe these cars are going to pave the way for new Amtrak models (Horizon, Viewliner, etc.) <--- personal opinion.

But as for other phases, I am willing to bet vital parts of my anatomy that Ph IVb will debut on these models. (Look how quick the AMD-103's sell out!)

But as I have said before, PLEASE keep the requests going to Walthers and let them hear your desires for other Phases, it only adds fuel to the fire.

Please thank them for their "Amfleet project", we have waited a LONG time for this, and many (including myself) wondered if it would ever be undertaken. I cannot thank Walthers enough for this.

Tom
  by Backshophoss

I'm at a point now where I need 1-2 cars to allow me to change up the look of a train at shows(I'm part of a moduler RR club)
To me at least ph IV is the best paint scheme Amtrak has ever done,both on Superliners and Amfleet. Amtrak should repaint the power
back to ph IV. Corridor Clipper hauling the markers is 1 way to change up the look,or having pvt cars on the rear.
Having a mixed set of ph III +ph IV Amfleets is another look.

Both my Superliner and Amfleet cars ran well out of the box,the only change was coupler swap outs for KD#5's,
and wheel cleaning as needed. The bachman ph I's run ok after some needed tweaks and coupler swapouts
(early 1st run bachman),all food service cars are Walters. The only other change was to "rust out" the wheel sets
on the Amfleet cars(hated the "chrome" look on wheelsets)
I'm not fond of "lighted" cars due to draw on (DCC)Power supply,but have a few lighted cars to trip block detectors
on the Fairgrounds layout.
Have been working on creating a "what if" married pair of SPV-2000's using the Bachmann Metroliner shells,along with a cab car conversion.
Years back found a set of "metroliner" cars missing all the roof top details at a swap meet, 1 of the chassis was totally shot but kept the body shell.
(Set was 4 cars/2 married pairs)
  by peanut1

Sent off some scheme suggestions to walthers for the future, see if they take any of them. I suggested Phases V,VB & Northeast direct.
  by mlrr

peanut1 wrote:Sent off some scheme suggestions to walthers for the future, see if they take any of them. I suggested Phases V,VB & Northeast direct.
Nothing to suggest. More like a request as they're well aware of the "demand" for other phases. It would be in their best interest to do other phases than just phase II considering the investment that must have gone into these things.

They seem to be dangling with "old school Amtrak" announcing the Metroliner, phase II Amfleet I and Phase III Amfleet II. Next thing you know, they'll be announcing an E60 (tell me you saw THAT coming!). At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if they offer an accurate, as-delivered E60 with DCC/Sound, etc. to compliment the most recent announcements, all of which were around during the same timeframe. Not sure if they'll do the modified modern version of the E60 but it's a good start.

Just FYI, there's no such thing as phase VB. Amtrak identifies it as phase VI. We rail fans have identified it as phase IVb. Vb only applies to the P42, low, red stripe version of the "shamu" scheme ;)

(Ok, I'm done with having my geek moment)
  by Backshophoss

Proto 1000 could make the needed chassis for the E-60's(ch+cg versions)and make them workable for the "Bachman" shell(hopefully).
The "Bachman" shells were decent enough to work with,but had real crappy drives(1pwred truck!) and totally useless pans!
Hopefully Walters will do a NJT version,so you can recreate the"Bay Head Builder".

GG-1's,E60's and Metroliners co-existed during the early years of Amtrak and Amfleet service,
all thats needed now are the Power Cars and Baggage cars created from the ex-US Army "kitchen" cars.

Edit,were AMTK 686-692 Power cars,AMTK 1350-1379 Baggage cars.
  by AMTK1007

Backshophoss wrote:Proto 1000 could make the needed chassis for the E-60's(ch+cg versions)and make them workable for the "Bachman" shell(hopefully).
The "Bachman" shells were decent enough to work with,but had real crappy drives(1pwred truck!) and totally useless pans!
Hopefully Walters will do a NJT version,so you can recreate the"Bay Head Builder".
Certainly, you have forgoten that in adition to the American GK tooling for the Amfleets ( Note - Walthers did not tool their current Amfllets, they just acquired the tooling that had already been produced) Walthers also acquired the tooling for an E60 ( actually both single and double cab versions)..
  by peanut1

So theirs a possibility they do E60's also. Would be nice if they did AEM7's in all three phases.
  by mlrr

E60 could be a player considering the Metroliner announcement (which was a surprise and unanticipated) but highly doubt AEM7s. Atlas did a great job with them. If Walthers acquired the tooling that would be "big news" but who knows. Atlas may have future plans for the AEM7 at some point and thus may hold onto it.
  by Backshophoss

Never saw much of "American GK" stuff,just the Bachman stuff,have a pair of E-60cf's in primer in storage,also missing most of the details
for the HV side. not sure if the even run.
  by mlrr

Backshophoss wrote:Never saw much of "American GK" stuff,just the Bachman stuff,have a pair of E-60cf's in primer in storage,also missing most of the details
for the HV side. not sure if the even run.
I have two of the GK's. I feeel they were better than the original bachmann if for nothing else, their running and pulling quality (they can be a bit noisey though but given that its virtually an Athearn drive, it's easy to make adjustments to fix that problem). I have been told that the bachmann E60's proportions are more accurate/to-scale. I always favored the GKs when comparing both, especially after modifiying both to represent their latest appearance.

I think most folks forget (especially my generation) that Walthers always had the GK E60 tooling (even sold E60s at one point).

In my opinion GK still wins out (even over the re-tooled Bachmann) because it's bulling power and potential is far superior. I thought Bachmann would have given their new E60 a metal chassis when they announced it but it's pulling power is far from a good representation of the respective prototype :(.

It was not my intention to start a rumor about a Walthers E60. This is PURE SPECULATION. Re-tooling or re-doing the entire engine to bring it up to today's standards makes sense, especially since Bachmann "Botched" their E60 re-release by not running it in their "Spectrum" line. By pursuing the E60, Walthers could capitalize on the overall sentiment of disappointment expressed by the more "hard core" model railroader who had much to say about the improvements (or lack thereof) Bachmann made to the E60.
  by ajp31

Kyle et al,

For what it's worth, I believe the original GK E60 molds that Walthers owned are long gone. 12 years ago a hobby shop owner told me that the molds had cracked and been discarded, which is why the models disappeared from the Walthers product line in the mid-1980s. All of which is to say, the fact that Walthers offered this model in the past is of pretty much no predictive value as to whether they would offer it again. Don't get me wrong--I'd certainly buy a few--but unlike the Amfleet cars, where there is a sizable demand and a prototype with hundreds and hundreds of examples running all over the country, I don't see how tooling up a new niche model like the E60 would make any sense for Walthers. (And I still maintain that the Metroliners are being done because they share so much with the much-more-in demand Amfleets.)