• Farewell to Fellow Contributor and Friend, Jtgshu

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by nick11a

Tadman wrote:I think we've had a lot of people here trying to understand how this could happen at a young age, and a lot of us have tried to understand how we can pay tribute to such a good guy. Ideas like naming a locomotive or piece of property have been floated, amongst others.

I think the best way to pay tribute to JT is this - embody the values that he held dear, the values that made him such a good guy.

1. Love what you do
2. Spread the love
3. Have patience with your fellow man
4. Try to keep things in perspective
5. Have a sense of humor - laugh at other stuff, laugh at yourself.

Guys, this is the kind of stuff that would totally make JT smile if he was watching over the train buffs of the internet. If you want to honor the guy, and I think we all agree he's worth it every bit, try to remember the above five things.
I think that those of us who know JT personally would agree. He couldn't of said it more perfectly himself. In the end, it's not about the trains. It's about the people.
  by Head-end View

My apologies for not posting here sooner; I haven't been on the NJ Transit board in a few weeks and had no idea this had happened until now. Besides echoing everything good that has been said here about our friend Jt, I have to say that I considered him a buddy on this forum, though I'd never met him personally. He and I had many exchanges here over the last 10 years or so, mostly good. Though he and I sometimes disagreed about some things like front window viewing, it was because he always said what he believed as a professional railroader. I'm sure it's obvious to all that he was a credit to the locomotive engineer profession. RIP Jt, your input will be greatly missed........ :(
  by MBTA1016

I'm sad to learn of the loss of Jtg and another contributor 3rdrail over in the mbta forum today. I was on a long hiatus becasue my account was acting up. I came back and I'm sad to see 2 great people have passed on. My thoughts and prayers go out to friends and families of both of these knowledgeable and respected people.

They got green all the way home. Put in notch 8 and enjoy the ride guys you've earned it.

RIP Jtg (NJT Engineer)
RIP 3rdrail(Sgt Paul Joyce) (Boston PD Ret)

It's been a sad day for me to come back to.

Why must the good die young?
  by PrimeMover

I don't post on here too much but I read posts on this forum often. JT always had great insight in to a lot of topics on here and seemed like he really loved railroading. He always seemed to keep it funny but informative. I always enjoyed reading his posts.

RIP JT
  by Tadman

Wait, Paul Joyce died too? I'm really sorry to hear that, he was a good guy, too.
  by MBTA1016

Sadly he did tadman, he passed away on August 5th a couple weeks before jt. Tadman there is a topic in the mbta forum. Here's the link to the page.

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=152153" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Head-end View

I'm not sure if this was answered previously. Was JT married; did he have a family? If yes, my sincerest condolences to his family members. I'm sure they're feeling the loss more than we are.......
  by MBTA1016

Head-end there's something else u might want to know. He was only 34 and still had his life ahead of him. Best wishes to his friends and family.
  by ApproachMedium

Head-end View wrote:I'm not sure if this was answered previously. Was JT married; did he have a family? If yes, my sincerest condolences to his family members. I'm sure they're feeling the loss more than we are.......
Getting in to peoples personal life details on here is probably not the best idea, esp after they have past. As someone who was a close friend with him, on behalf of all of his friends we greatly appreciate all of the great words, thoughts and condolences shared on here. To him we were all his best friends, and he was the same to all of us.
  by E-44

This is shocking and hard to believe for such a young guy. I remember our first meeting (he was then a conductor not too long out of training) at Friends in PJ with Brother Daniels in tow. We maintained a friendly Seton Hall - Rutgers rivalry and when I had to qualify on NORAC rules to start moving my test units off the East Erie Commercial, he grilled me mercilessly - as I suspect others had done for him. We'd laugh like kids when I messed up.

I cant believe he's gone, but I know I will never forget him. He was my idea of what a railroader ought to be.

You've got the railroad, Mr. Gaughran. All I have are the pictures and the memories. And that isn't enough.
  by MACTRAXX

AEM7AC920 wrote:Wow what a huge shock!! Rest in peace JT, definately one of my favorite posters on this forum you will be terribly missed. My thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, and fellow railroad workers.... :(
Everyone: After a long absence away from Railroad.Net I want to also offer my condolences and 920's post is exactly how
I feel about learning of John Gaughran's passing...I enjoyed his insight and thoughts about numerous subjects and no doubt
he was one of the best reads on this website...After reading the numerous posts in his memory it shows how respected he
was by those who knew him only online as well as his friends and co-workers...

I always wanted to ask him where that "JT" tag that he used as an avatar picture was and perhaps we can keep it and add
the words "In Memoriam" below to his memory here...

Rest in peace,John
MACTRAXX
  by kman73

My deepest condolences to John's loved ones. He passed away at such a young age. Awful.

Im very curious to know what happened, as I'm sure everyone else is too. Any info, please share.

Rest in peace, John. Clear signals forever.

K
  by 25Hz

Personally, I have been having some health issues lately, which is why i only saw this now. I read every post on this thread. A thread i really wish was not here. :(

I've been a bit of a thorn in people's sides on this site, not intentionally.... it's just who i am, and even though he's only 2 years older than me, only JT ever had enough patience to calmly explain stuff when i was acting a hot headed foamy fool, and for that he will always have my sincerest respect as a human being.

Always, always, always looked forward to reading a post with his avatar next to it. It never was a waste of time, and i will sorely miss that indeed.

You will be missed.
  by Otto Vondrak

ns3010 wrote:It is with great sadness that we learn of this morning's sudden passing of Railroad.net contrubutor and friend Jtgshu.

John was a friend to all, both those he knew personally, as well as those he did not. He was kind to everyone, putting others before himself. No matter what happened to him, he didn't complain, and helped his friends out first.

He loved his job as a NJT engineer. He did his work with pride and he did it well. He was a friend to the railfan community, always giving a wave as he rolled by, and happy to share his vast wealth of railroad knowledge with those who were willing to listen.

May John always have clear signals in the rest of his travels and watch over the railroad and railfan community. Rest in peace, buddy.

I am most sad that I just discovered this thread now. "Jtgshu" was a long-time contributor to this forum and many others. My respects and condolences.

-otto-
Former Railroad.net Site Admin/Co-Owner