• Farewell to Fellow Contributor and Friend, Jtgshu

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by jlr3266

Disbelief is a good way to describe how everyone feels. I am surprised to learn how young JT was. His posts were of a very mature, patient, funny, and extremely knowledgeable man. Let's get that popcorn...
  by MBTA1016

jlr3266 wrote:Disbelief is a good way to describe how everyone feels. I am surprised to learn how young JT was. His posts were of a very mature, patient, funny, and extremely knowledgeable man. Let's get that popcorn...

Great way to put it jlr, keep a bag of popcorn warm for jt
  by 25Hz

jlr3266 wrote:Disbelief is a good way to describe how everyone feels. I am surprised to learn how young JT was. His posts were of a very mature, patient, funny, and extremely knowledgeable man. Let's get that popcorn...
He was, as they say, "one of the good ones".

Even i am feeling the loss at this point as the shock is wearing off. I always thought i'd get to meet him one day, as i've talked to dozens of engineers over the years. Did see him at hoboken one time a few years back, but I was too in a hurry to stop and say hello. I saw him at newark penn as well, but he only popped out of the cab for a moment beyond the fence on the west end of D platform.

To those who knew and worked with JT i have some words for you, i hope they help you.

Losing a friend is like losing part of yourself. It's as if a part of yourself is now on the other side a river to wide to cross, and there are no bridges. But you can still see that distant bank, and remember how it was, the good times and bad times, inside jokes, the triumphs, tragedies, and stories shared. That part of you will always be over there, in your hearts and minds forever.
  by Head-end View

I too was surprised to learn how young Jt was. He definitely came across with the wisdom and experience of an older person.
  by Silverliner II

I am saddened to just be finding this... this comes as a shock indeed... :(
Happy rails, Jt... all clears from here on out!
  by E-44

I wonder if NJT could be persuaded to name one of its geeps for JT? Is there any precedent nowadays?
  by Kaback9

E-44 wrote:I wonder if NJT could be persuaded to name one of its geeps for JT? Is there any precedent nowadays?
We went over this a few pages back.

1.) There have been several employees lost over the years, it's not fair to single one person out.

2.) Having known John pretty well that's the last thing he ever would have wanted. To be memorialized like that, he'd say something like "you people are nuts". The best thing you can do is go out there and live your life as best and as positive as you can.
  by Olton Hall

Wow. Here I thought I was doing a good job lurking but I only just found this thread. I met him but chance for a few seconds one day a few years ago. As everyone has said John was a great contributor to this board and will be very much missed.
  by GSC

Like many of you, I only knew JT from this website. But we clicked early on, sharing a mutual love for all kinds of history, whether railroad, general local, and even otherwise useless trivia.

Watching the NY&LB and NJCL for all these years, I have probably seen him in action, but didn't know him personally.

He always gave a dignified air about himself here. A man worthy of respect. An intelligent man. A guy you'd want to have a beer with.

Although I only knew him via keyboard and screen, I too will miss his presence here. A good man who will be missed.

It has been my distinct pleasure in knowing you, John. Green light - clear block ahead.

Gary Crawford
  by Earle Baldwin

I just found this thread now as I don't look at the NJT board much anymore. I'm shocked and saddened. I never met John in person but we did exchange some wonderful correspondence via this site. I am praying for him, his family and friends.

As someone whose own family has suffered several sudden and very premature passings, the best advice I can offer to all is the belief that, for whatever reason unknown to us at this point in time, John has "gone home" and is experiencing joy we cannot imagine in our own earthy existence. Let us look forward to the day that, when our work is done here, we are reunited with him and all those we hold dear in the kingdom.

Judging by the many posts in this thread, he touched a lot of lives and I can feel your pain. I extend my sincerest best wishes to all that we be granted the strength to conquer our grief.

Bob Callahan
  by Chessie GM50

Wow. I had logged in tonight for the first time in a great while and happened upon this thread. When I was an active participant on this forum (2007- 2009 or so) JT was definitely one of my favorite members. Like many others on this board, I never had the chance to knowingly meet him in person. Having said that, the overall character, knowledge and demeanor purveyed through his posts told me that he was a great guy in real life. RIP JT.
  by charlie6017

Just saw this thread today.......very shocking and sad. I only had a few interactions with JT, as we
just didn't frequent the same boards often but those few conversations were always great. My heart
goes out to his family and his friends, and it sure looks like he had a great amount of friends here alone.

May John always Rest In Peace and receive "high-greens" into eternity.....

Charlie
  by Gilbert B Norman

To Mr. John T. Gaughran; graduate of Seton Hall University

Your knowledge of railroad operations was always a guiding light for me when wading through some of the less than informed opinons expressed in a less than mature and less than respectful manner at the NJT Forum. Your informed posts often made the only reason I had to visit that 'internet cesspool'.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/app/ob ... bLoggedOut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In view of that your family has asked that contributions go to the Komen Foundation, I'm fearful your all too early departure was attributed to 'big C', may you rest in peace my cyberfriend. Possibly I will be honored to meet you when it is my turn (now age 72) to go 'topside'.

GBN
  by Kaback9

Gilbert B Norman wrote:To Mr. John T. Gaughran; graduate of Seton Hall University

Your knowledge of railroad operations was always a guiding light for me when wading through some of the less than informed opinons expressed in a less than mature and less than respectful manner at the NJT Forum. Your informed posts often made the only reason I had to visit that 'internet cesspool'.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/app/ob ... bLoggedOut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In view of that your family has asked that contributions go to the Komen Foundation, I'm fearful your all too early departure was attributed to 'big C', may you rest in peace my cyberfriend. Possibly I will be honored to meet you when it is my turn (now age 72) to go 'topside'.

GBN
Mr. Norman, John's death was not cancer related. The reasoning behind the contributions going to the Komen Foundation, have more to do with his mothers early passing from breast cancer. Anyone who knew him well would tell you that the passing of his mother hit him very hard. From that point he tried to support any organization that was trying to find a cure, when he could.

As I keep telling people here, and other places please no speculation on what he passed from. The family would like to keep it private and it's best we respect their wishes.

Thank you,

-Brandon.