Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Legio X

I'd like to get a discussion started about the Evergreen Branch, so have at it, lads, if you have anything about it.

by lirrmike

Ok, I'll get it going.
What's left of the branch? Was the branch longer then it is today?

Mike

by Dave Keller

O.K. Here’s what I’ve got for your information, dating back to Bob Emery’s maps of November, 1958.

The Evergreen branch curved off the Bay Ridge branch just north of the Queens/Kings County line at a spot referred to as “Cooper Avenue Junction.”

It proceeded northwest with some sidings for warehouses and factories at Decatur, Covert and Halsey Streets. The old B&QT trolley line ran along Halsey St. and the trolley frogs crossing the LIRR tracks were still visible as of November, 1958.

For some reason the track was shifted so it dipped at Cornelia St. then went back to the regular alignment beyond Cornelia St.

At Putnam Avenue was the start of the “Evergreen Yard” at Evergreen freight station, identified as “E-6.” The Evergreen freight office was a small, square block building. I have a photo of it taken back in 1956 when a fan trip was run up the branch with the Budd RDCs. The Evergreen Yard consisted of a private siding and two team tracks, stubbing behind the freight office mentioned above.

The tracks crossed Palmetto Avenue and something unusual happened: Instead of the crossing gates being across the street to protect the tracks, the gates were all across the tracks, protecting the streets!

The rails went under the Myrtle Avenue EL at Gates Avenue, at the old site of Ridgewood station in much earlier years, and continued along with an occasional siding. There was one between Gates and Linden. There was one between Grove and Menahan. There was one between Stockholm and DeKalb.

The unusual arrangement of the crossing gates ended at Nimrod St. After that were only the old diamond crossing signs which were later removed.

Between Jefferson Street and Flushing Avenue there were some more sidings and factories. The B&QT trolley ran along Flushing Avenue. On the northwest side of Flushing Ave was the Varick Ave Yard, a rather substantial yard with a number of team tracks and sidings. It consisted of a passing siding which allowed access to the 7 team tracks, the house track and 4 tracks stubbing against the Bushwick freight house which was located along Varick Avenue.

Also along the Varick Avenue side of the yard was located the LIRR’s freight shed along with some other warehouses.

There was a traveling overhead crane that straddled two shorter sidings paralleling Varick Avenue. There was also a scale track and scale house on the other side of the main, opposite the team tracks.

The Varick Avenue yard was removed in 1963 and the LIRR freight houses along Varick Avenue were torn down.

The tracks then continued across Johnson Avenue, crossed over Varick Ave, and connected into the LIRR’s Bushwick branch.

That was the extent of the Evergreen branch.

Dave Keller

by RRChef

I haven't been down in that area in a long time so I don't know if this is accurate info. Remnants of the branch were visable crossing Varick and Johnson Aves near the Bushwick branch and then headed between buildings towards Flushing Ave. East of Flushing Ave it was diffilcult to follow as the ROW was behind fences or was bullt over. Another interesting feature in that area was the trolley tracks along Flushing Ave set in cobblestones. Again I don't know if they are still visable as it been awhile since I was there.

by 7 Train

Hagstrom's 1998/1999 maps still show the Evergreen branch. I'm not so sure about the 2001/2004 "digital" editions.

Geographia (formerly Rand McNally) still shows the branch, even on the 2004 5-Borough atlas.

by RRChef

Hagstroms are notoriously outdated. There was a discussion on another LIRR thread a few months ago (can't remember which thread)about the inaccurate info on them.

by NIMBYkiller

I think there is still a RxR Crossing sign still there.

by Frank

Was there any part of the Evergreen Branch that was still in use in the early 1980's?

by Dave Keller

Back in the days of passenger service the road was called the G & E R.R. and was part of the New York & Manhattan Beach Railroad system.

I believe, but am not totally sure without further research, that "G & E R.R." stood for Greenpoint and Evergreen Railroad.

Dave Keller

by Dave Keller

OK.

So I'm wrong!

So sue me! :wink:

"G & E" stood for the Glendale and East River R.R. and it was later considered the Greenpoint Division of the New York & Manhattan Beach Railway.

Here's some more info from Bob Andersen's site:

http://www.lirrhistory.com/evergrn.html

There's a hyperlink to Art Huneke's Evergreen page of his website at the top of the page. Check it out as Well!

Dave Keller

by robertwa

That link I have to Art Huneke's Evergreen page is incorrect. The correct link is:

Art Huneke's Evergreen Branch page

by Dave Keller

Thanks Bob!

And . . . . a correction.

My earlier description of the track locations referred to Nimrod Street. It should read "Himrod Street." (it was a typo.)

My apologies to all those railfans living on Himrod St.! :wink:

Dave

by Legio X

So the lumber yard was Conrail's last customer at Putnam Ave., and service to it ended in 1984 with the LIRR's takeover of the Bay Ridge Branch. I guess Conrail threw the Evergreen Branch into the deal to be rid of it.

by Knife-Switch

Where the Evergreen branch came off of the Bushwick, all that is left is a a cracked frog (which we are ordered over every day). Those tracks disappear under the asphalt of Waste Mgt.s parking lot were several switchers were dug up or buried. There are a few bumper blocks at the end of thier parking lot but no sign of track.

Up on the irons at Fremont, appx 30 cars West of the old tower, south of the tracks is an Evergreen Park. Perhaps this is where it came back around....?