Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Dave Keller

It came off the Bay Ridge branch where Irving St. (Ave?) dead-ends at the tracks, according to my map.

The point was called "Cooper Junction" because of the proximity to Cooper Street.

Dave Keller

by 7 Train

Forgotten-NY.com (Kevin Walsh) revises that the crossbuck has been removed, as of early 2005.

by robertwa

That's my (long-gone and donated to charity) Black 1995 Monte Carlo Z-34 in the picture that Jeff posted. I forgot to shut the door before I took the picture :-D

by GP38

Robert, is that the RR Xing sign that was at Cornelia or Jefferson St? If it is, I remember stumbling upon that around 1991, and the tracks were gone then already on that block!!
BTW, the tracks still cross the street at Halsey St, near the entrance to the Halsey St station of the L train.

Here's a photo from about two weeks ago:

by robertwa

Chris, it's Hancock St.

Bob Andersen

by GP38

Ah Hancock. I was just there two weeks ago too, but unfortunately, don't think the sign is there anymore, because I didn't notice it.

Anyway, here's the one I thought it was that I accidentally found in 1991 (when I took the photo). This one was on Cornelia Street. This photo is facing north on Cornelia. Actually, on the street the tracks were ripped up, but were still noticable on the sidewalk. I think this one has also since been removed. Some of the ROW had even had homes built on it (although not necessarily here).

by Knife-Switch

Not to get too specific :-D , but now with Google Earth, you can track the Evergreen Branch along "Old Railroad Alley"

From Bushwick Branch: 40 degrees 42'33.88" North
73 degrees 55'46.49" West

To Bayridge Branch: 40 degrees 41'30.12" North
73 degrees 55'46.49" West

It doesn't require too much imagination to see the remains of all the old sidings.

[Big Hit Off Crack Pipe]
Maybe NYAR could refurbish the branch under eminent domain :-D :P :-D :P :wink:

by Long Island 7285

Maybe NYAR could refurbish the branch under eminent domain
If hell forze over and NYA did get legal right to refurbish the branch, who would be the costomers? is there any of the former cosomers of the evergreen branch that would go to NYA over trucks?

by Sir Ray

Long Island 7285 wrote:
Maybe NYAR could refurbish the branch under eminent domain
If hell forze over and NYA did get legal right to refurbish the branch, who would be the costomers? is there any of the former cosomers of the evergreen branch that would go to NYA over trucks?
I always thought the Evergreen branch became more or less redundant with the building of the NY Connecting Line and associated branches (and which Kevin indicates in the relevant Forgotten NY page http://www.forgotten-ny.com/SUBWAYS/eve ... green.html.
Anyway, I believe now the only real industries which might use the Evergreen are pretty much located at the two (former) junctions (Bushwick, and Bay Ridge), so that they wouldn't need the entire branch, just a block or two (and clearly they are uninterested in even that at this time), and the reminder of the Evergreen ROW is lined by housing or small commercial establishments not capable of using car-load freight.

by BMT

A manufacturer of crack viles would be one. :wink:
  by dukeoq

I remember working the job one time in the late seventies when we had two or three sidings to place between Varick and Flushing Ave.
That's as far as the track went.
Mckesson Warehouse, Goldberger Doll, U. S. Envelope were on what was called Varick Lead.
One day, I had a rail-fan brakeman who was all over the move. First on the rear car to spot it up and the next thing I knew he ran up to the engine to be there when we crossed back over after the cars were spotted.
"What are you doing up here" I scolded.
"I've only got a short time in freight, so I want to make as many miles as I can'
He was right. It wasn't long before his seniority wouldn't allow him to hold a job in freight and he became a

......................................... :-D BLUEBELLY. :P
  by Clem

There I was, a new employee making the rounds with a more seasoned guy -- someone like The Duke or Teddy Lombard. August. Humid.:

This gentlemen walked The Clemuel over to the garage doors lining the back of Goldberger Doll Company's factory.

We peaked through the accordion gates inside at the fifty or so Spanish women sewing wigs on plastic doll heads under the din of the wagging floor fans and sewing machines.

"Kid," he said. "If you ever come to think the Railroad's a bad place to work, remember, you could be sewing dolls' heads..."

I've never forgotten the doll heads.

Clem
  by dukeoq

Clem, that sounds like something Teddy would have said.
I would've given you a five and sent you out for six. :wink: