• Do they still hand up train orders at PD Tower?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Lirr168

I'm not an expert, but I am reasonably sure that they still do at PD Tower and possibly also at Nassau Tower.
  by henry6

OK. So my next question is, is Nassau Tower visible from a station platform...my LI geography is in lapse mode.
  by Lirr168

henry6 wrote:OK. So my next question is, is Nassau Tower visible from a station platform...my LI geography is in lapse mode.
Yes, looking east from the Mineola Station.

by Dave Keller

This view is from Steve Lynch's website, photo by Brian Weinberg:

The striped, fabric awnings are a nice touch: reminiscent of the old days of interlocking towers!!! :-D

Dave Keller

by Dave Keller

This was from the old end of platform back in 1966:

Of course, the Garden City freight spur was still in at the time. Quite a bit of platform rebuilding and extension was done over the years!!

Dave Keller

by badneighbor

absolutely yes at PD. All the time.

by Long Island 7285

Does Valley hand up Orders/cards.

I seen the train order light on valley west but i havent seen it illuminated?

by Fla East Coast Chris

PD Tower......
24 Hours a day 7 days a week...
All you do is write write and write..
Crossings out of order,Meets, New York & Atlantic run orders,MYSK,MYJ,annullments. The list goes on and on and on. Also if there is assorted live stock on the tracks up ahead...
Chris
  by henry6

Thanks guys...it looks like I'll have to get down and out to PD this Fall.

by Dave Keller

Hey Chris:

Any cows on the tracks out there! :wink:

Seriously, I saw a train order once from the Bostom & Maine (unfortunately it was in someone else's collection) that read something to the effect of:
"Approach XX with caution. Fire hoses stretched across the main track due to depot being on fire."

Ain't it great?

Dave Keller

by SeldenJrFireman

Thats what happened when Gershow went on fire. They stretched a feeder line from the other side of the tracks from a hydrant. Well, the Greenport Scoot came along and chopped that line right up. Nobody called the RR to tell them to stop the trains. That's why I was told you should dig out the ballest in between the ties and put the hose under the rail, not on it!

by Clemuel

That's not the first time the fire department had to roll up three hoses...

Clem

by SeldenJrFireman

Gershow, should be having their invitational soon, i'll let you guys know.