• Do they still hand up train orders at PD Tower?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Long Island 7285

And the firedept cant route them under the rails my moving balast? and in an emergency situation depending on what it is. does the railroad have ROW of the fire dept?
  by henry6

New TT's show bus service out of Babylon and Patchogue from Sept 10 through November! Do they hand up orders to buses or just hold thier noses?

Now I must wait until when?!!

by SeldenJrFireman

From the Packets I have read and the pictures I have seen, A FF with a shovel will remove the ballest from in between the ties. The FF must make that "trench" 5" deep for the supply line to go through. The trench should also be about 2-4" deeper than that of the hose to account for the weight of the train when it goes over and it doesen't pinch the hose when charged. Hopefully, before this even begins, the Commanding Officer/Chief will have contacted the movement section to let them know there are FF on or about the tracks. Hopefully the train gets the message and does restricted speed through the area.

Hope I answered you question, 7285.

Mike

by badneighbor

There are a number of fire departments on LI with pipes laid under tracks to feed hoses through in the event of a major incident. Also, I have seen plenty of hoses stretched over the tracks, and as a fire dispatcher, I have called on numerous times to stop trains. As a fireman, i have put hoses under tracks myself. As a caution, when the request to stop or slow is first made to the RR, we set out highway flares on the tracks in the affected area, 1/4 mile away from the incident, on both sides to warn engineers in the event the radio message is delayed. If you live and respond in a district with railroads, you learn this is something you have to do. You have to keep your ears and eyes open all the time. My department has had plenty of interaction with the RR (train vs. pedestrians) so we are familiar with these safety rules. I don't live in third rail territory, I wouldn't be in a big rush to stretch hoses across the tracks in electric territory. Maybe a fireman in that area could fill us in...

I know it turns the RR on its ear, and the movement bureau gets bent. However, emergency situations take presidence, and as far as I know a fire chief or police officer handling any emergency has authority over the entire scene, with authority to close roads, rail lines, and direct evacuations if the public is in harms way.

by RetiredLIRRConductor

The Long Island railroad Timetable Appendix B Train Evacuation.

"The decision to evacuate a Train must be confirmed by the movement bureau in all instances unless there is imminent danger to the life of passengers or employees.

CHAIN OF RESPONSIBILITY

On any train, the CONDUCTOR is in Charge and responsible for the train and its passengers untill he is relived. In the event of his inability or failure to act, the responsibility shall flow as follows:
-Engineer
-Any train crew member
-Transportation department management personnel
-MTA police department
-any other railroad employee

by badneighbor

for a fire chief to order any evacuation, it would be an imminent threat

by trackml2

The striped, fabric awnings are a nice touch: reminiscent of the old days of interlocking towers!!!
Those awnings, if I remember correctly, are the old awnings off of the Davenport Press restaurant right behind the tower.
  by freightguy

I actually got to witness the last "Scoot" that afternnoon through Medford. The timeframe it was probably train 251. I was on one of the first arriving fire trucks there. We came in through the gate on Peconic Ave. which is on the Southside of the tracks. Yaphank fire dept was stretching off Long Island Ave and they were the ones that had the hoses run over by the Scoot. I remember I still had time to buff and Scoot had a powerpack in the lead(the number escapes me). I'd say the normal chauffer that everybody associates with the Greenport Scoot was off that day!
  by Head-end View

Let me get this straight: Some department actually stretched lines across the tracks and didn't notify the railroad ?? !!. And a train passing by actually cut the line(s)? Well what did they expect? BTW, was it a 5" line or something smaller like 2 1/2 or 3 inch?

by badneighbor

i have pulled hoses over tracks, and as my previous post says, we used road flares up the line at least a quarter mile. but you have to think of it, and have enough men and time to deploy those along with the hose. as always, keep yer friggen eyes and ears open!

by Form 19

I ran over a firehose on the tracks years ago coming into Mineola from the OB Branch. A car drove onto the tracks and hit the 3rd rail and exploded. I came around the curve and saw the commotion...and stopped. A Police Officer gave me a proceed handsign..vertically up and down..he meant for me to stay put..I thought he meant go so I went..when he began flailing his arms, i tried to stop but the slack rolled in and I ran over the hose..

by bingdude

I have seen B&W news footage of firefighters working on a blaze, with 3 or 4 hoses stretched across 2 tracks. After a few seconds a freight pulled by 4 F-units zooms by in the front of the frame snipping all the hoses. Obviously it is old footage. I don't remember where I saw it.

by badneighbor

takes me back to the early 80s, and the tire fires in Bay Shore at 4th Ave and the LIRR. The one time, the branch was closed for several hours, another time the RR, on a Sunday afternoon in the summer, the trains werent stopped, and i recall seeing the firefighters washing down the coaches as they went by... and soaking the riders hanging in the open doorways on the older coaches. funny...