Railroad Forums 

• DO-1

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#876507  by roberttosh

Saw a video recently of DO-1 returning to Portland with what appeared to be LPG Tankcars, probably from the NHN. Is that a new local out of Portland and am curious as to where the LPG that goes to the NHN at Rochester comes from? Does it come down the SLR via Danville or perhaps from Saint John, NB? Any info would be appreciated!
 #876690  by newpylong

Dover. Cars come from CSX at Rotterdam usually. Have been known to come down from White River but might not be happening anymore.
 #876767  by Trinnau

DO1 is somewhat new out of Rigby (used to be out of Dover). Apparently Pan Am considers it far easier to handle the cars in to Rigby then bring them back with the local as opposed to stopping a road job to work at Dover.
 #876818  by roberttosh

Thanks guys! That's interesting that they feel it's easier to run a dedicated train to Dover vs stopping an existing train that's already going through Dover. Maybe it allows them to get to Rigby without a recrew, or perhaps it's a pain to block the cars west of Dover? Am guessing they must do intermediate work at Biddeford/Saco and Wells when necessary?
 #876862  by Trinnau

Yes the local customers are also serviced at Biddeford/Saco and Portsmouth by this job as well.
 #878459  by Bulkheadflat

It's a pleasure seeing ARMN reefers appearing in Rigby on a regular basis now due to the Portsmouth traffic being brought up. There have also been a trickle of the light blue "Coldtrain" reefers showing up now and then, not certain if these are for/from that same customer though ?
 #878564  by drcrf93

I've been seeing reports of a PH-1 in the Portsmouth-Dover area lately as well as DO-1. I hadn't heard about PH-1 since pre-2009. Are these considered two seperate trains or do they just use whatever symbol seems most accurate for the day? (They do that alot in Maine!)
Thanks.
 #878618  by emdpower75

I have heard the District 2 dispatcher calling DOBO(Dover, NH-Boston, MA) before when actually the train with this crew was on the Portsmouth Branch. This leads me to believe that it was the DOBO crew on a different train but is being called that by the dispatcher. I do not remember the specifics but a possibility could be that the crew had to bring in a train off the Portsmouth branch before heading to their own regularly assigned job as DOBO.
 #879038  by MECFAN

Hi, been lurking here for awhile so I finally signed up. I live in Newington so I'll try and report local stuff, so here we go. Found DO-1 (Name for today, sometimes its PH-1) coming south on the Newington branch around 2:00 pm today. They had 6 cars in tow 1 reefer, tankcar, reefer , boxcar, centerbeam and a boxcar on the end, they all appeared to be empty. They ran to Rockingham arriving around 4:30 pm and then it sounded like they were headed to Wells but couldn't quite make out what was happening because scanner was breaking up. Also dispatch was talking to NHN in Dover this afternoon also.

John
 #879051  by rb

Does anyone know exactly what is in the reefers that go to Portsmouth?
 #879057  by Hux

rb wrote:Does anyone know exactly what is in the reefers that go to Portsmouth?
Frozen food. ;p
 #879102  by MEC407

Specifically, fish for High Liner Foods (if I'm not mistaken).
 #879146  by jlarose

Yes the reefers go to Highliner Foods on Borthwick Ave. I posted elsewhere on this forum earlier this year that Highliner had started receiving service again after a notable hiatus. I've also happened to catch those same cars in Dover a few afternoons lately as I live just off Broadway. I've noticed quite a bit more local activity of the Dover-Portsmouth area the past two weeks, though I don't have a scanner so I can't assist with train symbols. I do know there's been a higher frequency of DO-1/PH-1 type movement recently, there had been a lull for a while prior. Saw MEC 517 (I think) with a few cars ready to head south from Dover on Tuesday afternoon. Presumably this was DO or PH-1.
 #879209  by MECFAN

517 was on DO-1 yestarday.
 #881220  by MECFAN

My buddy Jon caught DO-1 coming across Rte-33 in Greenland headed into Portsmouth 18:30 hrs. Tuesday with to 2 reefers for Highliner Foods 1 box and 2 centerbeams for Boise. So today I went to Highliner to see if any cars were left outside there. Found DO-1 canned on the line just west of the switch to Highliner at 11.00 hrs. no crew. They must have switched out Highliner last night as the 2 reefers were not the same 2 he said were in the train that night. Crew arrived around 13:30 hours and went to Portsmouth where stopped at the office and put water in the 503 and then went up the Newington industial track to Boise. The switch to Boise was frozen and they couldn't free it so they called dispatch to send someone out to fix it, at that point I went home to cold to hang around. There are five loaded scrap gons sitting at the Sate pier for a couple of weeks now. The pier has a mountain of scrap steel so there must be a ship due soon. NMED was also at Rockingham at 13:30 dropping cars for Portsmouth.