• Disposition of the FA-1/-2 and F-7/-9 powerpacks

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Alcoman

The 600 never had the Detroit diesel. It aways had the 244 engine intact.
This is also true of a few others including 610 and 618.

by Lirr168

Alcoman wrote:The 600 never had the Detroit diesel. It aways had the 244 engine intact.
This is also true of a few others including 610 and 618.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure if it ever had the Detriot diesel, but I knew the last time I heard it that it sounded like a 244!

by M1 9147

600, 601, 602, 603, 604, 610 and 618 had the 244's intact. The others were modified with the Detroit HEP diesels. 605, 606, 612, 615, and 617 had modifications in them to quiet the noisy Detroit sounds. I'm not sure if those engines had CAT's placed in them in the 90's, but they were modified to quieter HEP's at that time. 607, 609, 611, 613, 614, and 616 retained the Detroit's until retired. You would notice the quieter engine by the modified grille in the back of the FA unit. 605, 606, and 612 were the first FA's to have the mod's in the Detroit's.

by de402

The Detroits were always dirtier too. Famous for blowing oil at least in buses.

by EDM5970

Cats? I had heard that a few of the Detroits were replaced by Cummins engines, but not by Cats. Anyone know which units got the Cummins?

I've been in 611 and 614, and they had Detroits, now long gone. I can also attest to the oil all over the place. Either 611 or 614 (I've lost track) had an alternator fire that caused it's retirement. Looking at all the oil sprayed on the walls from the rear (flywheel end) seals, I can see how it happened.

by Richard Glueck

Evidently the 244's were not replaced due to failure on their part. The year of replacement makes me think the ALCO PM's were probably cut up as scrap, and not resold or preserved for a "higher purpose". I am told that four of the preserved FA's will be rebuilt to look like FA's; and the hideous plastic surgery some underwent will be replaced. Other than the NH 0401, are any of the others being faithfully restored? I hate to see ex-LIRR power cars looking like neglected hulks, appreciated solely by vandals with spray cans and homeless in need of a latrine. Perhaps it's time for a photo update on the current status of ex-LIRR FA's?

by M1 9147

That was the 612 that had that fire in 1990.

by Frank Hicks

604 at IRM is in pretty rough shape; no significant work has been done on it since it arrived from Portola. The museum hopes to acquire a parts locomotive for traction motors, etc and restore 604 as an L&N unit.

Frank Hicks
  by Ricshaw

There is an FA unit at the old LIRR 35 site in Mitchell field. It's just the cab, with a few coats of primer. Did the LIRR donate this unit to the club? What was it's original number?

by Crabman1130

Is that the old cab from the Worlds Fair?

by RRChef

The FA cab at Mitchell is the World's Fair display from 1964. It is not a LIRR unit but in fact New Haven FA O402 I beleive. The LIRR was not an original owner of FA1's & 2's and purchased their fleet second and third hand in the late 60's and early 70's. The cab along with the parlor car platform was owned for many years by Camp Tanglewood on Ocean Ave in Lynbrook. When the camp closed several years ago both pieces were moved to Mitchell. The camp property is now an assisted living complex.
Last edited by RRChef on Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Long island Joe

:( Image

by RRChef

LI Joe
Where was that pic taken? Do you have any info on the Alco(MLW?) in front of the FA?

by Long island Joe

Winchester and Western Taking Bridgeton New Jersey I Seen More Photos They Have EX-LI FA 601 602 611 614 They Don't Look Very Good I Don't Know What They Are Doing with Them.

by Richard Glueck

Without going into details that I am privileged to know, do not worry about the FA's in Bridgeton, New Jersey. The 601 and 602 are currently being heavily refurbished inside. The RS11's are donating parts. 611 and 614 will get the same treatment as soon as possible. You should expect lovely, filthy, ALCO Diesel smoke erupting from all four of these locomotives in a few years.