• Diesel Action @ Port Wash - 10/16

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by 9C1LT1

Hi Again Everyone,

Diesel Action in Port Wash today! At about 12 noon LIRR Work Extra 1 was laying up 4 side dump gondolas on track 1 in Port Washington. Power was MP-15 #167 & 170. The interesting part was how I heard about it... I was at home doing homework, I heard a 5 chime, sounded to close to be from Roslyn, I turned on the scanner and sure enough "Long Island Work Extra 1 to Section A". So off to the station I go, the homework could wait...

The view is from the Willowdale Ave. Overpass

This picture sums it up! A lot of people heard that nice horn and wondered what was going on... A future railfan stares at the idleing 170.

The 4 side dump gondola's LI 6003, 6004, etc... are still on track 1. I guess some trackwork? If anyone knows when the MP-15's will be returning, please post! I'd like to get some shots of the train passing other stations on the branch.

-Barry

by Clemuel

There will be some minor rearranging of Port Washington Yard. Track 1 will be made longer as will a few of the station tracks. The hoppers are to provide for right-of-way work in preparation for the tracks and they should be gone before the end of the week -- not sure when they will be done.

Clem

by Frank

Clemuel wrote:There will be some minor rearranging of Port Washington Yard. Track 1 will be made longer as will a few of the station tracks. The hoppers are to provide for right-of-way work in preparation for the tracks and they should be gone before the end of the week -- not sure when they will be done.

Clem
Will there be any platform extensions.

by NIMBYkiller

I take it this is why they are bustituting next week. Will track one be extended all the way to the end of the rest of the tracks? So long to that row of parking that has always let me be level with the 3rd rail shoe.....I doubt any platform extensions will be done. They're about as long as they need to be and as long as they can be. The only platform that I could see is a new platform for track 1 if it is extended all the way.

BTW, Barry, I am going to KICK YOUR ASS for not calling me! Hell, knowing me, I would've had a new record for getting up to Main St(12 minutes walking is my current record).

So Clem, you say this action will be going on for the rest of the week, huh? That includes the MP15s? And to think, I got a photo of that track just yesterday on my way home from Croton. It's last day as a short stub track.

I take it track 8 will be extended as well?

by 9C1LT1

Thanks for the info Clem! I take it they will extend track 1 on the southern side? If its extended on the northern side, that would cut the number of parking spaces. I guess the MP-15's will be around next weekend as well?

NIMBY, Don't forget track 8, the crew/mant. building... I thought I saw you on the N23 that passed PW station yesterday? Didn't ya hear that 5 chime each time they reversed?

-Barry

by RetiredLIRRConductor

From what I have been told by supervision, they will move the switch on track 1 west, so that 1, 2, and 3 tracks will hold 12 cars. Guess that will involve taking out or moving the west crossover too. By The way barry, nice photos!

by Clemuel

Track 1 will be extended west, mainly to provide room for a western extension of 2 & 3. There will be no platform extension.

Looks like the hoppers will be around through next week, without engines. Then they'll go west.

The weekend work is unrelated track and drainage work on the branch.

Clem

by 9C1LT1

Glad everyone likes the photos! I passed by PW station today, there was a track crew surveying in the yard, thats about it. So we are finally going to see 12 car trains on the PW branch. Even if the platforms aren't long enough at most stations, just the extra sitting room will help!

-Barry

by 9C1LT1

Update:
Today at 11am the famous #160 was in Port Washington moving those gondolas on track one, well first trying to hold air... Very nice crew today! More equipment arrived on track 8. Thanks again for the info Mr. Clem!

If anyone wants I do have photos of #160 from today. Hopefully there will be more diesel action on the branch this weekend!

Jared, you can't complain this time I called ya :wink:

-Barry

by M1 9147

Funny guys, looks like we have a young railfan in training here seeing the sights there, LOL! You predicted well on Saturday on seeing MP15's there at Port Washington, Barry!

by Long Island 7285

Its a matter of time before a particulat branch sees a MP15. and i beleive all but the FBA Branch get the leaf crusher and the sandite/alchol trains?

so get your scanners on and be perpaired to make the rubber meet the road at a moments notice to get trackside. last fall i chased the sandite train from white castles on the longbeach at 2am - hewlett on the "low level" then at valley, then again at westwood where I ended the chase as he was going back west or east on the babylon/montauk.

2 MPs and E401 Im going by memory i dont have footage on me but i beleive that 171/154 was on this train but i gota look.

by emfinite

Look for DE30s on the sandite trains this season :wink:

by Long Island 7285

is 503 going to be dead weight for the leaf crusher this year, to make some one happy :-D lol

by M1 9147

That would be nice. Lets all hope from the 503 fan here, LOL. JT, nice numberboard, LOL. JV, glad you helped me on that subject.

by Long Island 7285

Neil,

I still think 503 would make a nice garden decoration in the front of your house :-D