• Did the electricfication plans for the PJ go on the shelf?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Bensalem SEPTA rider

Is the PJ still getting third rail? Or is that plan now dead in the water?

BTW, Anyone think they're going to double track the Ronkonkoma while they're at it (main line improvements)?

by Clem

Not on the shelf , not dead in the water -- dead in the garbage is more like it for now.

Clem

by NIMBYkiller

I too haven't heard anything about the project in probably a year now.

I think they should take care of double tracking the PJ to Smithtown and the Ronkonkoma for now(as well as ESA and 3rd track of course).

by Form 19

They spent a half-billion dollars on diesel equipment and dual mode locomotives. I seriously doubt they would get the funding to electrify to Port Jefferson.

by Nester

With no yard to store the trains, and no money to do the work, I don't see this happening anytime soon. The chance to electrify PJ came and went when Hoppe decided to go with the Dual-Mode gear instead of electrification.

As for your other question, I was told by Demody himself (back when he was CTO) that double-tracking the main line from Farmingdale to Ronkonkoma would not happen until there was a third track between Queens and Divide. I don't know if management's position has changed since then, but it makes sense given the capacity issues they have on that section of track.

Nester

by 9C1LT1

Hi everyone,

I don't think theres anything at all about Electricfication to Port Jeff in the 10 year plan on the MTA website. Might be on a wish list somewhere... Aren't they still "fighting" over where to place a yard on that branch for the current end of third rail? Form 19's right, the DM equipment isn't even that old yet, maybe in another 10 years when the DM equipment is 15 years old and ESA is complete. Then theirs also the third track project for the mainline... I think we will be seeing diesels to Port Jeff for quite a while, can't say I complaining!!

-Barry

by Long Island 7285

If they were to eletrify the branch in its entirity, then a mid branch yard would not be needed to store the motors and diesels as they plan now. even just eletrify to North Port and that will free up some place to lay up and MU by running some MUs streight to North Port instead of Huntington.

by M1 9147

Guys, that will never happen especially with the DM30AC's now here. The original plans were to put the DM's on all Port Jeff trains leaving the DE's on the other diesel lines. When The ESA project is done, the plan is to place more direct runs from Port Jeff into Penn using the DM's if they are still around, or with a newer Dual-Mode locomotive. Locomotives are cheaper than laying third rail.

by Long Island 7285

Welcome to this wonderfull place call New York, or better yet pay taxes and vote for me and get F**ed. ESA will probly not happen for another 30 year. this is all royal bullshit, there is no real federal state or local interest or that would have been done 20-30 years ago and done MUCH cheeper and SAVED TAXPAYERS MILLIONS. and TODAY we would have been utalizing GCT and would have lagitly been able to plan to get FBA extended to the Ex WTC site.

but no that will never happen caus of this political $hit hole of a state we live in. and every one in support of it needs to get the hell up and and fight for it and demand that your wonderfull government brakes there asses and finds a way with out increasing taxes to fund this project and work round the clock till its done. imagan if they worked 9-5 cleaning WTC out, i bet it would have still been going on.. i dont mean that in disrespect to the surivors or relitives, but to show that if Americans unite and work together we can do a dam project and get it DONE and UNDER buget. but no Modern America don't understand that or is it not America but rather MODERN New York State? where is the "Derail" set in our improvement system and what can be done to remove that derail and start running trains.

for this wonderfull place we call New York, I have a beleife of our transportation system that I Yet to see be Defeted.

If it were not built by bruite force and man power in the early 20th century or eairler it will either never be built or will take many years to build today what our great gerand parents did in much less time and with primitive tools when compared to today.
  by manumuskin

Simulations were done in the past on the benefits of electrifying the Port Jefferson Branch. There were no real benefits since the curves on the branch obviated any real time savings.

The LIRR was pretty smart in the 80's in building HLP on the PJ branch but not building third rail. The HLP decision was politically driven as a carrot to the townships on the branch.

Electrification to Yaphank, Manorville or Calverton would make a lot more sense since the track is largely straight and the land is mostly flat. Grades and curves do consume bigtime power dollars. The railroad's priority has got to continue to focus on KO.

[i]Yip Yip Yaphank[/i] is the way this was expressed by Irving Berlin. The Main Line is the LIRR's future.

Dick Makse

by Long island Joe

I Like To See third rail From Babylon To PD :-)

by Long Island 7285

I think they can push SK then Riverhead. but first undertake to PD then run all the scoots at motors then slowly progress to SK and LD withen the next 25 years either MY or GY will see motors,

by NIMBYkiller

Please don't tell me you mean 3rd rail to Montauk and Greenport? Sorry...but the furthest I envision 3rd rail is Riverhead/Southampton. It will be a sad day when the rest is developed so much that 3rd rail is necesary....or even remotely feasible.

by Long Island 7285

nimby how many years u think the DEs will last, i bet that its all going to be eletrfied unless some ultra modern new spangled thing that is 100% PC operated ruines my likes to become an engineer. but hopefully we still got a chance

by Long Island 7285

This might be off topic but i need some input.

Look at the channel tunnel england to france. that project was talked about and actully completed, not only was the tunnel completed but trains actully run through them....

lets see. ESA is not even half as deep or half as long is it?

whats the problem here, is it our system of state governement here?

why is it that when it comes to rail that europe is leuges ahead of any american railroad. a countury built by the iron and steel road, seems to frown upon its existence.

Why was the channel tunnel completed in a few years, but ESA is more then 30 years of bull defication?

there is a big problem in this place spicificly NY State, Does any one see this. Does any one feel that the state is responsible for this delay. What can we do as American to better our selves to move on in to the 21 century.. Before we eletrify the east, lets quit anything and everything and focus 100% on ESA and make it happen in 3 years
thats it
3 years

the tunnel in england was not only done on time but under budget, simply because it did not take 30 years to build. whats the American problem? is it Government, State Government, or just a bunch of citizans that need a reality check in terms of transportation.

what is the problem here?

It's a shame, I beleive in America and hate to be anit american, but why does this countury fail in this subject. I think its more a Local thing then national thing, but there not off the hook