• Did the electricfication plans for the PJ go on the shelf?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by RetiredLIRRConductor

I dont know about you, but I think the m-7's acceleration is faster from a stop, then the M-1's or M-3's I do know I can feel the acceleration more, and in fact sometimes have to hold on because i get knocked back.

by NIMBYkiller

Doing a half assed job on the PJ when it comes to electrification would a huge waste. The only way I would agree to cutting it short on the PJ would be if it continued down a line via 454 to the main.

by Nasadowsk

For such a short distance, going only part of the way to PJ makes no sense. I mean, really, it's only a few miles from northport to the end anyway, and heck, it's only a few miles from the current end to Northport in any case. Just go to the end, look at Wading river as a future shuttle line, maybe using a GTW 2/6 or some other neighborhood friendly DMU. Realistically, people wouldn't complain about an extension if they never heard the trains passing by.

by NIMBYkiller

I'm not too sure what exactly you've been smoking, but PJ is certainly NOT just a few miles. In fact, it's over 20 miles. And if there is going to be a Wading River extension, then electrify that too. It's a fairly straight shot, which could allow for shorter running times on that section.

by alcoc420

One thing I concur with jtr1962 on is the lack of good long term planning on the LIRR's part. This is somewhat ironic in that the lirr has more planners than we can shake sticks at.

It seems to me that the greatest potential for growth of the LIRR system and benefit to LI is east of KO and on the south fork, not the port jeff. The lirr seems to be writing off those two corridors.

Little population growth will occur near the port jeff branch, yet the south fork is incredibly congested in the summer, and (fortunately) they don't want a new highway. Using the lirr to ease congestion seems so natural, I wonder why the lirr has not stepped up to the plate.

Most of the home construction on LI is and will be east of KO. Why isn't the LIRR adding service there? They seem to have no plan for future service there either. Why not have good service BEFORE people move there and get set in their car driving ways?

Regardless of my (or others') opinions on the wisdom of electrification of the PJ branch, the lirr should plan for the future, in addition to the present. They could add frequent service for about 5 stops east of ko. DMU's would probably be a good interim measure.

by Long Island 7285

LIRR has Planers?

Maby some of them need to open the history book and read a few pages?

look at the area they served when this place was all farms, then put that same line in withen today's society and look at the potencial to tap a new costomer body. wow with a little force and correct statistical data they can get PJ-Wadeing river and GC-Beth opened again, and then worry about mannor-eastport, you build on the ROW good by you used our land when it was not needed now we need it to better transportation for you, so take off

by emfinite

So much for the houses and parks they would have to plow right through to build the Garden City to Bethpage line again! I guess that doesn't account for anything!

Joe

by NIMBYkiller

The only place section of the former CRRLI that has homes or any other significant structure is just northwest of Floral Park. The ROW from Endo east to Beth Jct is entirely clear.

And Eisenhower Park has more than enough room to compensate for any loss suffered by rebuilding the CRRLI. The old ROW is now a walkway. Just put the walkway off to the sides of the tracks.

by Long Island 7285

alll of GC is clear and the park needs gradeing and somewhat, the jail one of 2 things, there government so they either get re postitioned or re located either or, and if non of them build the dam ROW on a EL above them that will also eliminate Xings,

there are very un educated people when it comes to common sence in this great staate, instead of looking into the future there 1 selfish way narrow minded indivisuals that thing the LIRR is a lost cause, the fact that the current LIRR is not stabe for the future and there not gaining a dime in revenue by following what they have, railroads built communities and were the whole reason for them communities to strive, now to tape a more diverse market (LIRR loves diversity) and to take the long shot at gaining more passengers and even freight, the CRRLI is needed, the ROW tapes the heart of Nassau county and is more centralized for thoes not near the main or the montauk lines. many people will be able to use the CRR instead of the main/montauk withch will caus a chain reaction of haveing the main/montauk stations re gain the people it looses due to parking and what not.

LIRR/NYS will have a major issue to contend with. the CRR ROW and the CLP-WM is MUCH needed and will clearly provide for better combanations for passenger travel.

look at maps look at riders ship to a % look at statictics look at local population look at distance to nearest RR station. all add up to the CRR is needed,

by NIMBYkiller

hooooookeded on fonix workeded for mes!

Sorry Joe, just had to say that. Forgot about the jail.

Honestly, I'm looking at CRRLI as soley passenger, NO FREIGHT except up til the Meadowbrook.

by Long Island 7285

NIMBY the hub is where most freight coulda happen, but we live in a HIGHLY ANTI RAIL ROAD society on LONG ISLAND and the raceway commercial properity is now becomeing privite residance. seald the fate for that. GC unless LIRR gage moves out or re postitons is useless, but thats the only area for freight, how ever i see it as if the branch can tap any freight costomer either team track or direct i say DO IT as its just a few more buck revenue.

I want the LIRR to stop running all trains for 1 week period, to teach this ANTI rail society a nice loveing lesson as to why RAIL is just as important as everything else when it comes to long islands transportation. just imagine the hell that would cause :-D that day im staying home, or takeing the bike out :-D

by NIMBYkiller

I said no freight PAST the Meadowbrook, which means the hub would get freight.

by Long Island 7285

right nimby, how ever, if you can get a car spotted between the meadowbrook and Btower why loose that business

by NIMBYkiller

As far as I know, the ROW is along residential propoerty only east of Eisenhower Park.

by Long Island 7285

most of that is, right, but waht about the RESIDENCIAL properity ON literlly ON the former track bed by B tower,

What un educated sould very poorly educated in transportation and lacks common sence when it comes to LI transportation dicided to sell that properity? that person should be held responsible to further dicline to LI transportation.

If any of you buff are really interested in improveing the systeam and wanting to creat a more broader E/W combanation and inraisland servace, why don't any one try to start a group or stare some petition
get it noticed, get it made real get it buring, such actions will delay any further demise if done right.