Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by alcoc420

Number 171 pulled 516 WB thru Smithtown slowly on the siding at 9:10AM Thursday Aug 25. The dm was idling.

by DutchRailnut

if it was Ideling it was not dead, just not powering.

by mjb777

Does anyone know why 171 was pulling 516?

by M1 9147

Most likely it was a Rost-About move to take place of another engine that had to be towed back. It occurs frequently on trains to Port Jeff.

by mjb777

Neil , 516 went out to Port Jeff on the second 8 car from Penn on Wednesday . When I got on #615 on Thursday 512 took the place of 516 and this morning Friday 500 was replaced by 511 . I cannot figure out why they would change an engine after 2 days.

by M1 9147

Curious, does 500 still have the old herald on the nose with the old number underneath the headlight, or was it finally redecalled with the flag, and new numbers?
  by Sean 418

The 500 and the 517 still have the old one number in the center of the nose under the headlights. For trivia buffs. The 520 was the first to receive the new treatment. I believe the 503 still has the old one number.

by badneighbor

Back on friday, the 516 was in service on the Montauk Branch, pulling the Cannonball. Through Bay Shore at 5:05pm

by bagpiper516

Pardon my stupidity but what do you mean by "old numbers" in relation to 500 and 517?

by AmtrakPhill629

I saw 516 being pulled by 510 Passing by lynbrook on Sunday at 5:55 pm.

by M1 9147

The "OLD NUMBERS" meaning where the new flag "WSWP" logo is underneath the headllight which took the place where the old # of the engine was. That scheme was put in place when the horns were relocated to above the cab window blocking the original front number which is still above the cab window, but behind the horns.
  by Sean 418

What I mean by "old numbers" is the placement of the numbers for the engine under the headlights as they were in the begining when the de/dms were first brought out to the LIRR. Presently, only the 500,517 and 503 still have this type of number board. Starting in 2003, the numbers were moved to the left and right of the headlights with the new emblem of the flag and " We serve with Pride" placed on the front ( which we do!) The 520 was the first to receive that scheme. Incidently , the 516 and 512 are on the Montauk branch currently.

by tushykushy

You can add 401 to the deadline. It'll be OOS for a long time.

2711 was towed by 157 9/2 @ 3:30am.

by Lirr168

tushykushy wrote:You can add 401 to the deadline. It'll be OOS for a long time.

2711 was towed by 157 9/2 @ 3:30am.
any idea what put 401 OOS?

by tushykushy

Yup. I forget the exact name of the part but it's something that was part of the alternator that supplies voltage. The part was seriously deformed and out of the entire fleet of engines for the 5-6 years of ownership it's only happened twice. It's like breaking a camshaft in a car, that's how rare it is.