Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DutchRailnut

The old cars used lots less air then the C3's do.
The C3's need air for toilets for airbags and braking.
Seeing a GP38 with twelve cars is great but it won't accelerate to fast.
Last edited by DutchRailnut on Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

by bluebelly

Deleted !! :wink:
Last edited by bluebelly on Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by DutchRailnut

:-D corrected

by SeldenJrFireman

DE/DM have the 710 prime mover. Union Pacific has I think 1,000 units with the 710 prime mover. Could the reliability of the LIRR units be worse since the 710 P.M. is being put on freight trains, and is not the best engine for a stop/go/push/pull/repeat work?

by DutchRailnut

Were does it say or who said there are problems with the 710 powerplant ??? the DE30/DM30 do have their problems but not with the engine.
oil on outside ?? yup you let it Idle to much thats what they do.
  by N340SG

Possible note of interest re long trains:

Way back when I was a coach cleaner in Babylon Yard, they used to send these long diesel trains ("Superwash Train") our way to use the Babylon car wash. New York City had drought restrictions in effect at that particular time. Long Island did not.
The trains were on the order of around 22 cars and a couple of engines. (Don't remember exactly how many engines...sorry.) The moves would of course be considered roustabout equipment moves. They were done late at night, fouling the Higbie Lane crossing for a considerable length of time.

Tom

by Nasadowsk

Nova! :-D

hehehe.

BTW Tom, my neighbor has a '70 Roadrunner with a (worked over) Hemi in it. He owes me a ride in it too!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D

(One of these days, I need to get a '68 - '71 Nova and put a good motor in it.....)

by alcoc420

Hearing of a GP and 12 cars not accelerating too fast reminds me of when I was a kid my friend an I used to run on the platform parallel to 664 as it started out of Kings Park circa 1965 to 67. We used to see how far we could keep up with the train. It had one c420 and 16 cars including some ancient heavy looking things.