• CSX opposes NYS high speed plans

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Railjunkie

PTC is a federal mandate. Cabs would be nice but that then means a dedicated group of freight locomotives be in either Buffalo or Selkirk for the trip on the Mohawk, no more run through power. Cab signal would help the capacity a little. Don't know much about the PTC system but according to what Ive read it will have even more capacity to handle trains than just plain cabs. Part of CSX signal replacement is because the older NYC signals couldn't handle the new PTYC software, along with CSX wanting a common signal system through out the company
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Jishnu wrote:Are you then suggesting that CSX will not even do PTC on the Empire Corridor? What is it that you get with "cab signal" that you do not basically get with PTC?
CSX is implementing (ITCS?) positive train control on the line, like all Class I's are mandated to. PTC doesn't require cab signals underneath; it can be implemented anywhere if/when all the wireless spectrum issues are worked out. The ACSES-over-cab-signals that Amtrak does and nearly all east coast commuter rail operators are doing merely bootstraps the PTC overlay on top of the existing trackside infrastructure. Both accomplish the same thing; the cab signal overlay just doesn't require nearly as much scarce wireless spectrum bandwidth and has more redundancy/reliability being backed by the fixed infrastructure. Especially once you get past a certain passenger trains per hour saturation point...a wireless signal dropout is not going to slow a freight much, but if it dings as much as 1 passenger train per week past Albany and the cascading delays from that blown schedule stretch back down the Hudson it's going to stick out like a sore thumb. I'm not sure if ACSES-on-cabs territory is going to terminate at Albany or Schenectady before it transitions to CSX's cabless ITCS, but this dispute is entirely a Water Level Route thing.

So that's one sore point where freight + HSR are at odds. Amtrak and NYS would much rather build out from the existing and massive east coast cab signal network with ACSES-on-cabs (or ITCS-on-cabs) west of Albany. That's economy of scale for them as a buildout of the east coast passenger network...it is cheaper for them to do fresh-install cabs + PTC as an extension of that network. It's not good economy of scale for CSX. Right now Selkirk is the dividing line between CSX power that runs in cab territory and power that doesn't. The B&A east to Boston was cabbed by Conrail in the mid-80's. The Hudson is cabbed. Much of what goes down the non-cabbed River Line eventually proceeds into cab territory: anything on commuter rail in NY/NJ/PA, a bunch of Norfolk Southern-originating lines bleeding into Conrail Shared territory, the RF&P sub down to Richmond. But nothing west of Selkirk is cabbed, and no traffic interchanged in/out of Selkirk from Canada or Northern New England is cabbed. So right now they have a pretty neat-and-tidy power segregation where all stuff heading to/from Boston and nearly all stuff heading to/from NYC and points on the coast get cabbed power swapped in, and the cabless power gets sent right back out west. This is why they haven't complained about anyone's signals or PTC in commuter territory...they've got ample cabbed (and ACSES) equipment already traveling daily through all this territory, and because power swaps are easy at Selkirk they pretty much have a pre-existing, naturally-occurring ops separation of east coast vs. non- east coast fleets.

Make the WLR cabs and it totally screws up that balance. So much of the entire CSX nationwide fleet either makes regular trips to Selkirk or has to be ready on short notice to take reassignment to the WLR that forcing them to swallow cab signals basically requires them to install the units on all Chicago-hub locos. Or...vast majority of their whole fleet, even when majority of them won't venture into cab territory or ONLY would have to to get from Buffalo to Selkirk. That's the assumption you'd have to make here. And who's going to pay for all the hundreds of loco installations and staff training 4 states away so CSX doesn't get its ops constrained by this? I don't see NYS volunteering for that. Yes...it's a very big deal and a very big burden to change the way they cycle power. That's another reason why the Hudson and WLR are almost totally separate projects. I really can't see cab signals being practical anywhere past Schenectady.

Other stuff too...the WLR's signals are already optimized for all manner of their freight traffic and freight blocks. So what self-interest do they have in redoing it all for something that doesn't add efficiency, and could potentially harm their efficiency if the signal block length gets shortened and starts fouling 100+ car freights. NYS seems to want them to not only share in the costs for trenching all that signal cable, but also get them to voluntarily give up control of the block layout. And that's a ton of wishful thinking and arguably a lot of arrogance on the state's part. Public money has to pay for the construction, and the passenger interests are the ones that have to compromise or build wholly segregated tracks when somebody's ideal signal block length is in conflict with somebody else's.

CSX is not unreasonable to deal with if you deal with them on their turf. Massachusetts learned that after years of similarly butting heads with them on the B&A. Give them the price they want for control of the tracks and speak to them in terms of enhancing freight efficiency. Jacksonville is wholly rational, and quite cooperative with passenger interests after you've piqued their rational interest in freight margins. But the state first has to drop its abstract pretenses of what's "right and just" and approach them like a rationally-acting business, not a charity. And New York doesn't seem to want to do that, or learn from anyone else's example. Probably because the pols floating this aren't serious about seeing this through to fruition any further than can enrich themselves today and tee it up as their successors' problem to solve. You don't have to go the CAHSR megaproject comparison to see the difference in attitude at getting something done vs. making lots of noise and setting it up as someone else's problem to solve. Just look at what formerly CSX-antagonistic MA did during Gov. Patrick's tenure at approaching Jacksonville from a different, more productive angle to get what it wanted re: Worcester Line control and Beacon Park redevelopment.
  by Greg Moore

BTW, as evidence (in my mind, feel free to correct me) of CSX being willing to work with Amtrak (and NYS) is them handing over (well leasing) control of the Empire Service tracks south of Albany.

They don't run that much freight there (compared to the west shore) and really didn't want to deal with the hassle of 110mph passenger trains.

Amtrak/NYS made them an offer they apparently could live with and now everyone appears happier.

Amtrak/NYS get to upgrade/replace the signals (I long for the day a bad storm doesn't cause slow orders for portions of the way due to wet wires/etc).

CSX still gets access, but doesn't have to deal with the maintenance.

As for west of SDY, personally, I think NYS will have to bite the bullet and go with a 3rd track. You really can't pay CSX enough to tell them, "get your long, heavy, slow oil trains ou of the way for my passenger train." The oil trains represent far too large of a source of revenue for CSX to be amicable to that.

On the other hand, build a new 3rd track (or even 4th as needed) and allow CSX trackage rights as needed (with a priority for Amtrak of course) and you improve everyone's world.

The problem is the upfront costs are huge, but I wouldn't be surprised if the operating costs overtime are lower.
  by lpetrich

High Speed Rail Controversy - RochesterHomepage.net
After balking at several plans to bring a bullet train to Rochester, CSX is finally on board. At 125 miles per hour, high speed rail promises to get you to your destination in lightning speed.

Congresswoman Louise Slaughter has always been on board, securing federal funds for the multi-billion dollar project.
CSX Railroad has never supported the idea, until now.

"We're in line with Slaughter's, the125 proposal," said Carla Groleau, CSX Communications Director.

Past proposals have called for sharing the CSX rail lines, impacting its freight operation. The latest plan, "Proposal 125," calls for building a whole new rail line.
The article did not go into detail, but I suspect that this new line will be in the ex-NYC right of way that CSX now owns. Is it wide enough for an additional track?
  by Noel Weaver

I have said this before, the ROW is wide enough for four tracks practically all the way between Amsterdam and Buffalo. The best way would be to build two entirely new tracks for CSX freight operations as their freight yards are all on the north side of the ROW and most of the passenger facilities are on the south side of the ROW. This dates back many, many years to the New York Central days. CSX still has a few industrial sidings on the south side of the ROW so they would have to be able to access them as necessary. Not only would CSX get big bucks for the ROW but they would also gain a brand new freight railroad in the process so I guess it leaves to reason that YES they would be on board IF this ever happens. Still unanswered is just exactly where all the money is going to come from to accomplish this one. To say the least, I have my doubts.
Noel Weaver
  by Matt Johnson

The state that can't even rebuild a fleet of Turboliners properly is going to build new high speed rail all the way to Buffalo. Right. In my book, when you fail spectacularly, the best approach is to regroup and start small, not take on an even bigger project than the one you just screwed up!
  by DogBert

With the pols approach to rail on CMRR & ADIX, maybe they should forget high speed rail and simply build a trail for people to bike and snowmobile on. :P
  by Matt Johnson

I'd settle for restoring the ability to buy a sandwich and coffee in the cafe car on the New York - Albany trains!
  by Greg Moore

Matt Johnson wrote:The state that can't even rebuild a fleet of Turboliners properly is going to build new high speed rail all the way to Buffalo. Right. In my book, when you fail spectacularly, the best approach is to regroup and start small, not take on an even bigger project than the one you just screwed up!
Seriously, that was over a decade ago, and was a bad decision from the get-go. That said, it did accomplish it's real goal. Job creation in Schenectady.

On the other hand NYS built the Barge Canal and the Thruway which are arguably both great successes. So by that metric, this would be too.

Seriously, I do think there's merit to the "combined" approach. To a certain extent, what's good for CSX is good for NYS. If you can give them a better ROW and get HSR at the same time, everyone wins.
  by Tadman

Mod note: We're getting perilously close to being really annoying on the Turboliners topic again. The analogy does't even make sense. Are you really implying that one mid-sized failure means NYS can never spend more again successfully? Don't tell that to the guys that bought the M7 or M8 fleet.

Suggestion: http://www.turbolinerblog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Matt Johnson

If New York produces anything on the high speed rail front other than empty promises in the next 20 years, I'll run through the streets of Albany naked!
  by Greg Moore

Matt Johnson wrote:If New York produces anything on the high speed rail front other than empty promises in the next 20 years, I'll run through the streets of Albany naked!
Please, we WANT HSR here in NYS, please don't give them reason not to! :-)
  by umtrr-author

From the article (fair use):
"High speed rail is not some pie in the sky... In the late 1800's, a trip from New York to Buffalo reached speeds of 112 miles per hour and took an hour less than it does today. If we did it a century ago, we can and should do it today," said Congresswoman Louise Slaughter (D).
Embarrassing if true... although it's also fair to say that 100 plus years ago, your alternatives to rail were, let us say, limited.

Louise (we call her by her first name here in her district) has indeed been behind rail since day one... but she's also 84 years old. She is a nearly permanent fixture in Congress (I'm saying this only for context, not politics) but one wonders how much longer she will physically be able to be present there. The next Congressional representative we send probably won't be able to spell "HSR" much less understand what it is... and projects taking as long as they do these days, I'm afraid that the support will be gone long before the first shovel is turned. Of course, there still is Chuck Schumer... an aside: I don't recall where I read this but I saw "The most dangerous place in Washington is between Chuck Schumer and a television camera."

Meanwhile, I still think CSX in private does not want to have anything to do with HSR, regardless of what they are saying publicly. My prediction: look for an infeasible set of demands to be met in order to secure their cooperation.
  by Adirondacker

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
Jishnu wrote:Are you then suggesting that CSX will not even do PTC on the Empire Corridor? What is it that you get with "cab signal" that you do not basically get with PTC?
CSX is implementing (ITCS?) positive train control on the line, like all Class I's are mandated to. ...long list of technical problems from 1996...
Those computer screens the railroads have been whining about putting in locomotives are computer screens. They can display almost anything the programmers little hearts desire. Or that they can put their sweaty little hands on. Including the current authorized speed which the PTC system, being a PTC system, has. However it's deriving that information. In the cab. Where the computer screens are.