Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1589260  by newpylong

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:03 am Agreed, after a very hard look by 80yo eyes, such is a TOFC, which I presume PAS can clear.

Finally to Messrs. MEC and Newpy, I pray you both know how much I respect your collective thoughts regarding the Region's roads, and how participating at this topic has been one of the most expansive learning experiences I have had in twenty three years around here. But I still must wonder if PAS falls into the hands of a Short Line operator, where will the capital come from to transform such into a competitive road (by that I would think Hoosac dug out with a 21ft vertical clearance and not less than FRA Class 3 to Fitchburg where, thank you "T", there is Class 4) for an East-West line haul?
Who says PAS has to be anything more than Class 2? Why does the tunnel need to be raised if the NS traffic is going to the B&A? Who are they going to compete with where these need to happen. The railroad can improve service and gain volume if the trains simply move when they are supposed to and go 25.
 #1589263  by newpylong

Yes I am watching, on a computer. The link did not work on mobile. If on Mobile try searching for STB Hearing - January 13-14, 2022.
 #1589266  by F74265A

State and federal taxpayers - deepest pockets of all- are the likely capital source to fix tunnel if it needs major repairs or upgrade
State won’t let that transport link fail in my view
 #1589270  by MEC407

It's sort of entertaining to hear all the glowing remarks like "PAR has done such an amazing job of maintaining their network over the years" juxtaposed with photos intended to demonstrate the absolutely deplorable condition of the physical plant.

Also: "The Hillsboro Branch is just up north of Watersville [sic]..." *cringe*
 #1589275  by newpylong

MEC407 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:12 am It's sort of entertaining to hear all the glowing remarks like "PAR has done such an amazing job of maintaining their network over the years" juxtaposed with photos intended to demonstrate the absolutely deplorable condition of the physical plant.

Also: "The Hillsboro Branch is just up north of Watersville [sic]..." *cringe*
He's been up here numerous times but he isn't going to know where every location is.
 #1589277  by taracer

The shoofly was put in when they rebuilt Springfield station. They swung Main 1 there, 10 MPH max speed no switches. Main 1 was removed through here during this time. Looks like MBTA wants to use it at some point, probably tied into CP98 and CP97.

It's basically track three as seen in the map in this thread,

station-tracks-in-springfield-ma-during ... 73691.html
 #1589283  by J.D. Lang

They may want to use it for future west of Springfield passenger service or possibly tie into the existing NE quadrant wye track that ties int the Conn. River line for direct service north toward Vermont.
 #1589293  by Pensyfan19

Trains Magazine Article

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-reviews ... r-service/
WASHINGTON – CSX Transportation has reached an 11th hour agreement with Amtrak regarding passenger service in New England in advance of today’s scheduled public hearing on CSX’s proposed acquisition of Pan Am Railways.

Amtrak on Jan. 3 said it would oppose the CSX-Pan Am deal unless the Surface Transportation Board imposed seven conditions on the merger. Yesterday, in a letter to regulators, CSX asked the board to include Amtrak’s conditions.

Among the conditions CSX agreed to:
  • Cooperate with proposed expansion of passenger service between Albany, N.Y., and Boston via CSX’s Boston & Albany main line from the Albany area to Worcester, Mass.
    Work with Amtrak and the Northern New England Passenger Authority to expand and improve Downeaster service linking Maine and Boston, including the addition of positive train control on trackage in New Hampshire and Maine.
    Host seasonal Berkshire Flyer trains between Albany and Pittsfield, Mass., this year as special trains, pending construction of a 1,000-foot station track in Pittsfield.
    Give Amtrak trains priority over freight traffic.
    Ensure that Norfolk Southern intermodal and automotive trains, which are shifting from Pan Am Southern to new trackage rights over CSX’s B&A, do not interfere with current or proposed Amtrak service between Albany and Worcester.
Other than seasonal service to Pittsfield from Albany (if not starting from NY, then a total of 40 miles: perfect for commuter rail service instead of intercity) one of the main concerns is increasing passenger service on the Boston and Albany Main via Worcester. If anything, I'm hoping for them to restore service to Bangor along Pan Am trackage, in addition to various other routes in New England owned by other regional roads (Boston to Montreal via Concord, Boston to Halifax via Bangor, also Pan Am trackage, New York to Portland via Worcester, also Pan Am, Portland to Montreal)