Railroad Forums 

• CSX Acquisition of Pan Am Railways

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1589217  by Shortline614

Sounds like CSX agreed to the conditions because they just wanted Amtrak to go away...

But hey more Amtrak. I ain't complaining.
 #1589233  by johnpbarlow

And Joseph C. Szabo, former Federal Railroad Administrator 2009-2015, weighs with strong support for the acquisition with a January 12, 2022 Railway Age Article titled "CSX/Pan Am: Bringing New England
Into the Class I Railroad Network"/
I am a life-long railroader. In my six-year tenure as Federal Railroad Administrator, I saw the importance of safety and infrastructure investment in our national rail network. I am a strong supporter of our short line railroads, with their entrepreneurial focus on serving local transportation needs. Meanwhile, Class I railroads bring the financial resources to make necessary capital investments that strengthen the safety and efficiency of the rail network. This transaction draws on the strengths of both and offers exceptional benefits.

This acquisition extends the nationwide Class I railroad network into New England, a region that is critical to our nation’s economy, and that is today primarily served by regional and short line railroads. CSX’s acquisition of PAR will ensure first-class rail service in New England locations served by PAR and will allow for a seamless single-line connection to the Class I rail network and the global economy.
https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... 303510.pdf
 #1589239  by jamoldover

<Sarcasm on> It's amazing how many people seem to be using the exact same words and phrases in stating their support for this. Every single one of them clearly came up with that language on their own, right? <Sarcasm off>

Seriously - I'd like to see someone speak in favor of this who doesn't sound like they're reading it directly from the CSX press release... Someone has to have an original thought or two. Maybe?
 #1589241  by Gilbert B Norman

May I perfect Mr. Barlow's link to the Railway Age material with such direct from its source, as distinct from a download attachment to other material, and thereby potentially saving a "peekaboo from a 404"?

https://www.railwayage.com/freight/clas ... ad-network

All told, even if I have had no connection to the region since my Fairfield Navy Cadet days, I think it is just great that the Region's natural resources, which includes two maritime ports (we've pretty well debunked Searsport as little more than CP propaganda) will now have access to Class I railroad transportation, which will only result in the creation of better paying Union jobs.

Why Topper "bolted" still escapes me.

The "biggest loser" from what now seems the inevitable combination of CSX/PAR will be the PAS parties in interest. I could even foresee its abandonment West of the Connecticut River once the Commonwealth gives up on its apparent idea of having a passenger train running over every last mile of track within such. From the discussion here, it appears there is not too much industry to the West, and at this time, it would appear that any displaced PAS employee could quickly get hired on by Chessie.
 #1589242  by newpylong

That is never going to happen.

I have summarized why PAS is going to be a worthy operation (for someone) time and time again.
Last edited by newpylong on Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1589243  by newpylong

jamoldover wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:50 am <Sarcasm on> It's amazing how many people seem to be using the exact same words and phrases in stating their support for this. Every single one of them clearly came up with that language on their own, right? <Sarcasm off>

Seriously - I'd like to see someone speak in favor of this who doesn't sound like they're reading it directly from the CSX press release... Someone has to have an original thought or two. Maybe?
There were quite a few but impossible to recall within the tide of all the canned responses. Either NH or Maine DOT and Congress Critters had some original thoughts.
 #1589245  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Newpy, I respect that you were "once upon a time" a PAS hand.

But the discussion here has established there is not much in the way of on-line industry west of the Connecticut River; or people if the Commonwealth wants their passenger trains.

We have also established West of Fitchburg, the line is at best Class 2. Chessie is promising Class 3 throughout the MEC, and presently has Class 4 over the B&A. Further, who knows when Hoosac will next have a cave-in? (I trust there are emergency procedures in place to evacuate a Train/Engine crew on the pronto should such occur).

Finally, drawing from the Railway Age material Mr. Barlow linked, I note a double stacked Container in one of the photos. Presume such is away from the PAS West of Deerfield. Also of interest from the "Downeaster" photo is how much vestiges remain of the double track that Pat chopped up as soon as he got on the property.
 #1589248  by newpylong

It has nothing to do with being a former employee, the property has too much tonnage potential that is not economically "divertible" nor can it be in many cases. It's really as simple as that.
 #1589249  by CN9634

I've been asked to submit a letter of support in a past life... it's pretty straight forward process, the railroad solicits letters of support by sending out a generic template that you copy onto your letter head and fill in a few details. Not rocket science and no one outside of this thread really cares other than to say "xyz entity has formally filed support".
 #1589251  by CN9634

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:25 am Finally, drawing from the Railway Age material Mr. Barlow linked, I note a double stacked Container in one of the photos. Presume such is away from the PAS West of Deerfield.
Took a look at that picture... the US Xpress van is a TOFC not a double
 #1589254  by MEC407

An interesting/intriguing statistic from Szabo's opinion piece that I hadn't previously seen:
Genesee & Wyoming’s affiliated railroads in New England have an FRA-reportable injury ratio of 0.54 per every 200,000 working hours between 2018 and 2020—less than half that of the Springfield Terminal injury ratio (1.22 over the same period).
That certainly makes a compelling case for GWI to take over operation of PAS. What Szabo doesn't mention, however, is that CSX's injury ratio for the same period was 1.10 — not significantly better than ST's.
 #1589255  by Gilbert B Norman

Agreed, after a very hard look by 80yo eyes, such is a TOFC, which I presume PAS can clear.

Finally to Messrs. MEC and Newpy, I pray you both know how much I respect your collective thoughts regarding the Region's roads, and how participating at this topic has been one of the most expansive learning experiences I have had in twenty three years around here. But I still must wonder if PAS falls into the hands of a Short Line operator, where will the capital come from to transform such into a competitive road (by that I would think Hoosac dug out with a 21ft vertical clearance and not less than FRA Class 3 to Fitchburg where, thank you "T", there is Class 4) for an East-West line haul?
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1589257  by MEC407

Regarding capital improvements, that'll still be the responsibility of NS and CSX as owners of the property. If Chessie bolts from the PAS paddock — which she is widely expected to do in the not-distant future — capital improvements will be the responsibility of Topper and whoever takes Chessie's place (assuming Topper chooses to continue owning half of PAS, which at this point is not entirely certain).