• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by joesirr

What train did I see on the bridge over Rt. 34? Just saw the last 4 or 5 cars, not the engine heading East (left to right) as I was driving North on 34 at 3:17 today. I was too far away but cars looked like white box cars. Earle?
  by TOMSTV1

That would be one of the Navy trains at Earle.
  by bluedash2

RailsEast wrote:Yup, that's a first for me, very strange unless they lost headlights/ditchlights or horn. Did they make the switch in Farmingdale? Everything was normal as they went west through Shrewsbury.......
You never what can go wrong with an engine, especially given how old (and unrebuilt) they are. CA-51 was at Winslow Jct a couple weeks ago with 5285/5271 that day when they had to use 5285 leading both ways because the 5271 would only go in reverse. Anything is possible.
  by bluedash2

That should read - you never know what can go wrong. Don't know why I can't edit it.
  by NY&LB

Church lined and locked at 4:41....running a little late today
  by NJT4149

SA-31 clear Bank at 5:18 PM
  by RailsEast

NS 5313 shf + 4, appear to be all Woodhavens, approaching Eatontown at 5:30 in the pm.......
  by riffian

carloads have really dropped off the last three weeks.
  by RailsEast

Indeed; I always wondered when the current construction boom would subside, or pause. It's been a good 3 & a half years since the big trains started rolling down the Southern...

http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=3643341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've lived in southern Monmouth County all my life, and I have never seen a local 'expansion' like I've seen in Lakewood over the last decade. This is from The Press Of Atlantic City, May, 2016...

"In 1990, its population was 45,000. Ten years later it was just over 60,000, and the 2010 census counted 92,843. It is home today to about 100,000, and the township projects that will rise to 225,000 by 2030. That would put it in league with Newark, which has 277,000 residents, and Jersey City, with 247,000, to make it the state’s third-largest municipality."

They're running out of room to build in Lakewood itself, although other projects further south in Ocean county should keep Woodhaven somewhat busy for awhile. It will be interesting to see what happens this summer....
Chris
  by RailsEast

Eastbound through Shrewsbury at 0245 hours.
  by NJT4149

SA-31 lined and locked normal at Church 4:14 PM
  by RailsEast

Ah, back to normal....NS 5311, CSX 4415 (elephant style) + 17, approaching Maxwell Rd. in Eatontown at 5:40 in the pm. Looks like one tank & 16 Woodhavens this week.....
  by RailsEast

Eastbound through Shrewsbury at 0330 hours...
  by NJT4149

SA-31 lined and locked normal at the Church Connecting Track 4:13 PM
  by RailsEast

NS 5313, NS 5311 + 11, approaching Maxwell Road in Eatontown at 5:15 in the pm. 10 Woodhavens & one tank this week.........