• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Teeman1770

I practiced landings there in the late 60's. I learned out of Asbury in Neptune and Preston in Morganville. Also, all long gone. For many years after Red Bank closed, there were red warning spheres on the electric lines along Hance Avenue, in line with, and at the western end of the active runway. I think they are gone now.
  by RailsEast

Same power as last week, CSX 4415 with NS 5311 plus 18; one tank, one gon, 16 for Woodhaven, through Shrewsbury at 4:55 in the pm.
  by RailsEast

Eastbound by mp40 at 0255 hours...
  by snavely

Way off topic, but can't resist: temporarily living in South Florida and today got stopped at a crossing for a Florida East Coast northbound headed by two ES944C4's with hammer down pounding by with a 174 car consist. Impressive doesn't begin to do it justice. Southern Secondary, eat your heart out.
  by pdtrains

I'll take local freights and older power any day. If i never see another wide cab, I'll be fine.
  by RailsEast

Wide cab, schmide cab, bet you can't get this in sunny south Florida; ex-Conrail Geeps on ex-CNJ iron in fresh powder.......

http://njtwom.rrpicturearchives.net/sho ... id=4662276" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you, Brother pdtrains; repent now, Brother snavely, or face the RR gods.......
:wink:
  by snavely

I do not repent, Brother Rails East; I'm just a wayward son of the SouthernSec. deposited in a land of sun, palms, and totally incompetent drivers, suddenly dumbfounded by the appearance of that of which I had to now only fantasized....'twas as if the Loch Ness monster showed up in the Manasquan Inlet or Sasquatch visited Great Adventure- living proof that such things exist. :-D
  by David

snavely wrote:I do not repent, Brother Rails East; I'm just a wayward son of the SouthernSec. deposited in a land of sun, palms, and totally incompetent drivers, suddenly dumbfounded by the appearance of that of which I had to now only fantasized....'twas as if the Loch Ness monster showed up in the Manasquan Inlet or Sasquatch visited Great Adventure- living proof that such things exist. :-D

Hmmmmm Interesting--(from South Florida )
  by RailsEast

I know not of any recent serpent activity, but I did notice a ripple on the Glimmer Glass just last week. I hope the Loch Ness Monster is still in its original habitat.....

Carry on, my wayward son........
  by RailsEast

CSX 2810, NS 5311 + 9, approaching Eatontown at 5:00 in the pm. Looks like 1 gon & 8 Woodhavens this week.
  by NJT4149

Never heard of this happening before: the leader has changed. NS 5311 is now leading the train LHF with CSX 2810 taking the second spot; units are coupled nose to nose. Train should leave Farmingdale by 8
  by ApproachMedium

Possible cab signal or cab failure.
  by RailsEast

Yup, that's a first for me, very strange unless they lost headlights/ditchlights or horn. Did they make the switch in Farmingdale? Everything was normal as they went west through Shrewsbury.......
  by NJT4149

RailsEast wrote:Yup, that's a first for me, very strange unless they lost headlights/ditchlights or horn. Did they make the switch in Farmingdale? Everything was normal as they went west through Shrewsbury.......
They made the switch at Roosevelt, using Earle's siding. They apparently swapped the engine because 2810's alerter was having issues.
  by RailsEast

Cool, thanks much; a rare incident on the Southern.....