• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by bmwr12

It is hidden in an old post.
Last edited by bmwr12 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by nomis

https://facebook.com/NewJerseySeashoreLines its on a comment on a post on there.
  by OCtrainguy

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
OCtrainguy wrote:
RailsEast wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, this is the first trip down the Southern for CSX 4402 (ex-CR 3284, blt 5/77). I know it's the first time I've shot her anywhere....
As the train looked at MP 39.6......

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4115493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
Chris, the CSX 4402 was down on the Southern, but a long time ago. It wasn't in a galaxy far, far away (Sorry, couldn't resist), but over a decade ago. I have some JPEGS on my computer of the SA35 with that engine. The photos I saw were from December 2001 and January 2002.
That sounds about right, she was either CR Blue or Yn2.........
The latter, CSX YN2 paint.
  by scottso699

bluedash2 wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:
OCtrainguy wrote:
RailsEast wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, this is the first trip down the Southern for CSX 4402 (ex-CR 3284, blt 5/77). I know it's the first time I've shot her anywhere....
As the train looked at MP 39.6......

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4115493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
Chris, the CSX 4402 was down on the Southern, but a long time ago. It wasn't in a galaxy far, far away (Sorry, couldn't resist), but over a decade ago. I have some JPEGS on my computer of the SA35 with that engine. The photos I saw were from December 2001 and January 2002.
That sounds about right, she was either CR Blue or Yn2.........
Nice shot. Didn't know she was painted again- and got dirty very quickly
She's looks to be in pretty good shape for being built in 1977! Just goes to show the dependability and resilience of these units. It's interesting to thing that since the GP38/40 line there really hasn't been much in the way of GPs produced. Of course there were the GP50 and GP60 lines but as far as I know they weren't nearly as popular as the GP38/40 lines. All the development has been in high horse power 6 axle units. I mean could you imagine what Utility pick up truck from 1977 would look like at this point if used as much as one of these units? Amazing that they are all still in such good shape. Pretty cool to think about.
  by bluedash2

Great point Scott but those locos have had a lot of work done over the years too the same way we nickel and dime our cars. That being said, the 40's, 50's and 60's were more designed for intermodal than anything as that's where they were usually used when new. To run locals that we see, it doesn't take much HP to get the train going. The 38's especially are ideal for that altho the 40's are ideal these days too...
  by NJT4149

SA31 permission to open up Church at 3:29 PM
Lined and locked normal 3:45 PM
  by RailsEast

CSX 4405 lhf + 10, 1 gon & looked like 9 lumber.
Chris
  by NJT4149

RailsEast wrote:CSX 4405 lhf + 10, 1 gon & looked like 9 lumber.
Chris
Through Farmingdale at 7:27 PM, 4 man crew
  by RailsEast

4 man crew.....let me guess, Engineer, Conductor, and 2 crewmen to keep the fire going, to heat the cab. A wee bit chilly (ok, really f***ing cold) this afternoon..........

'Frozen in time' in Shrewsbury.....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4122093" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
  by scottso699

bluedash2 wrote:Great point Scott but those locos have had a lot of work done over the years too the same way we nickel and dime our cars. That being said, the 40's, 50's and 60's were more designed for intermodal than anything as that's where they were usually used when new. To run locals that we see, it doesn't take much HP to get the train going. The 38's especially are ideal for that altho the 40's are ideal these days too...
Yeah that's true - I guess that is why we are seeing a whole new generation of engines in the "GenSet" construction. As you mentioned and I didn't think about, why waste a whole lot of HP on a local freight. The GP38s/GP40s won't last forever I guess and a GenSet engine makes more sense as it is recycled from whatever is laying around, is fuel economic and has power on demand. And in most cases their hoods have been lowered and it gives the crews better visibility. So some day what used to be RS3s and GP7s and what is now GP38-2s and GP40-2s will some day be GenSets. (Unless of course the magic railroad fairy grants our wish for Clayton Sand and Gravel to start moving sand trains - and then we would need... Six Axle diesels! Yes!)
  by NJT4149

SA31 permission to open Church at 3:29 PM
  by gravelyfan

NJT4149 wrote:SA31 permission to open Church at 3:29 PM
CSXT 4405 shf + 10 (half box, half lumber flat)
  by NJT4149

Lined and locked normal 3:40 PM