• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by NJ Operation Lifesaver

southern sec. kid wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:
southern sec. kid wrote:Crews were working on the bridge near 571 and the bridge under rt 70 today. No work on the bridge south of rt. 70 yet but you could tell a hi rail or some other type of rail vehicle has been out there by the shine on the rusty rail
The Three Conrail Bridges are 1. Between Rt. 527 and Glidden 2. South of Rt. 571. 3. Under Rt. 70. Any other bridges and especially anything South of Union Ave in Lakehurst are not part of this project.
I was aware on the the ownership of the bridges, just figured I would check it out while I was out there. As I watched from a distance on Monday, a bridge worker came up to me and let me know I'd be able to cross the bridge in 20 minutes once they were finished. I told him that I was actually interested in the work being done. He told me they expect trains back to Lakehurst in or around a years time.
You were going to cross the railroad bridge? Please tell me you were driving a train, and do not use the excuse that you knew there were no trains coming...

Note: I'm not trying to bust on southern sec. kid specifically or you guys on the Southern Division but one of the growing headaches is what is now termed 'Enthusiast Trespassing' which is supposedly knowledgeable fans who think that the trespassing statutes and/or the safety rules - that they are nowhere near as familiar with as they think they are - don't apply because of their status as fans.

Do me, for that matter do yourself, a favor out there and get out of the habit of using the tracks as a path now. it is not a public pathway. Nobody is saying don't watch or post the reports or take the pictures, but please stay out of the way and off of the track, even Out-of-Service track. (That's anywhere, not just around Lakehurst.)
Last edited by NJ Operation Lifesaver on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  by gravelyfan

NJT4149 wrote:SA31 permission to open up Church at 3:28 PM
Lined and locked normal 3:39 PM
Clear the Southern Secondary at Bank 4:19 PM
4402 shf + 9
Two Railboxes behind the loco - possible cars of brick?
  by RailsEast

Was wondering the same thing myself, gravely; folks in Farmingdale report back, would ya'?
Chris
  by southern sec. kid

NJ Operation Lifesaver wrote:
southern sec. kid wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:
southern sec. kid wrote:Crews were working on the bridge near 571 and the bridge under rt 70 today. No work on the bridge south of rt. 70 yet but you could tell a hi rail or some other type of rail vehicle has been out there by the shine on the rusty rail
The Three Conrail Bridges are 1. Between Rt. 527 and Glidden 2. South of Rt. 571. 3. Under Rt. 70. Any other bridges and especially anything South of Union Ave in Lakehurst are not part of this project.
I was aware on the the ownership of the bridges, just figured I would check it out while I was out there. As I watched from a distance on Monday, a bridge worker came up to me and let me know I'd be able to cross the bridge in 20 minutes once they were finished. I told him that I was actually interested in the work being done. He told me they expect trains back to Lakehurst in or around a years time.
You were going to cross the railroad bridge? Please tell me you were driving a train, and do not use the excuse that you knew there were no trains coming...

Note: I'm not trying to bust on southern sec. kid specifically or you guys on the Southern Division but one of the growing headaches is what is now termed 'Enthusiast Trespassing' which is supposedly knowledgeable fans who think that the trespassing statutes and/or the safety rules - that they are nowhere near as familiar with as they think they are - don't apply because of their status as fans.

Do me, for that matter do yourself, a favor out there and get out of the habit of using the tracks as a path now. it is not a public pathway. Nobody is saying don't watch or post the reports or take the pictures, but please stay out of the way and off of the track, even Out-of-Service track. (That's anywhere, not just around Lakehurst.)
Lifesaver, there were no intentions of actually going down to the bridge! I was just a viewing eye from that parking lot that they removed the tracks for. A railroad employee had his truck parked fairly close to mine. He thought I was waiting for their work to finish so I could walk down the tracks. He walked from his truck to mine which I was standing outside of to let me know they would be finished soon. That's when I told him that I'm not out for a walk but was actually just interested in the work being completed on the line. When I checked out NJSL's bridge, I walked on the side behind the condos until the little dirt road ended. Within my travels next to the condos I viewed the rail and noticed the shine on top of the rust.

As for the RailBox boxcars, they were indeed for Extech
  by RailsEast

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, this is the first trip down the Southern for CSX 4402 (ex-CR 3284, blt 5/77). I know it's the first time I've shot her anywhere....
As the train looked at MP 39.6......

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4115493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
  by RailsEast

Michael, after watching the locals over the years use the tracks beneath Rt.70 as a shortcut to somewhere (maybe the diner?), I'm sure the CR crew thought that sskid was looking to make that same move, when in fact, he wasn't. I think he could have worded his post a bit better......

We all do appreciate your input, sir; in fact, I wish it was mandatory for all railfans to take a real RR Safety class (BRW & BDRR Rules classes coming up, hint, hint), it gives one a better grasp as to the operations of the RR and what you should and should not do when on the property, and exactly what can happen if you don't adhere to 'Safety First'.

On the other hand, it might not have been proper for that worker to offer the bridge as a route to a pedestrian, but like I mentioned, the locals seem to do it all the time with little consequence. And to reiterate the #1 safety rule, "Expect a train on any track, in any direction, at any time".

Be safe out there,
Chris
  by NJT4149

SA31 through Farmingdale at 7:29 PM
4402, 7 Woodhavens, 1 empty brick
  by Tanker1497

I Agree with the above post. I don't think the sskid ever intended on going across the bridge. I also agree rail fans need to heed the same rules.
Now being from that area I can attest to the fact that, that section of RR down in Lakehurst is like a rail trail people of all ages walk ride bikes cars motor cycles up and down section of the track. The ages range from 12 to 80 years old. All kinds of path's lead directly to the tracks just at the trestles so as to use them cross the water.
"Not saying this is ok" Just saying this happens now and has since I first visited LH in the 1980's
When trains went all the way down the Barnegat branch it was nothing to see 50 high school kids coming out of Manchester HS and walking those tracts as the train passed. Just a month ago a kid was hurt falling on those same rails. This still occurs today. On the Clayton side they use to hack out the rails so trucks can get across! Cars use the trestle at MP67.4
  by OCtrainguy

RailsEast wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, this is the first trip down the Southern for CSX 4402 (ex-CR 3284, blt 5/77). I know it's the first time I've shot her anywhere....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4115493" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chris
Chris, the CSX 4402 was down on the Southern, but a long time ago. It wasn't in a galaxy far, far away (Sorry, couldn't resist), but over a decade ago. I have some JPEGS on my computer of the SA35 with that engine. The photos I saw were from December 2001 and January 2002.
  by RailsEast

Ha! Thanks, Stephen, I knew that if anyone had documented her before, it would have been you. Long time between visits, always good to see an ex-CR unit in the area again.......
Chris
  by wolfboy8171981

OCtrainguy wrote:
RailsEast wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell, this is the first trip down the Southern for CSX 4402 (ex-CR 3284, blt 5/77). I know it's the first time I've shot her anywhere....

Chris
Chris, the CSX 4402 was down on the Southern, but a long time ago. It wasn't in a galaxy far, far away (Sorry, couldn't resist), but over a decade ago. I have some JPEGS on my computer of the SA35 with that engine. The photos I saw were from December 2001 and January 2002.
That sounds about right, she was either CR Blue or Yn2.........
  by bluedash2

NJ Operation Lifesaver wrote:
southern sec. kid wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:

Mr Allen- is it really necessary to always overreact to every post like that? Seriously, the kid was posting his conversation that's all. You really gotta stop preaching to the choir all the time like you're always out to save the world. We do know how to safely conduct ourselves while railfanning. People who choose to do otherwise simply don't give a damn and your preaching to them won't change that. You may have noticed that the world isn't perfect and never was. Dude you really need to get over yourself. Learn to let things go. All you are is part of a volunteer organization not Railroad PD. You really get to the point of being annoying.....sorry but you are long overdue to be told this
Last edited by bluedash2 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by bluedash2

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
OCtrainguy wrote:

Chris
That sounds about right, she was either CR Blue or Yn2.........
Nice shot. Didn't know she was painted again- and got dirty very quickly
  by bmwr12

It appears from driving over the Rt.70 bridge this afternoon that the repairs on this bridge are completed and the track is now reconnected in Lakehurst. They only repaired 1 of the 2 tracks. Also NJSL posted on there Facebook page this week that the rehab was going to start soon and I quote

"New Jersey Seashore Lines- The highway traffic signals on Lacey Rd at Manchester Blvd. are tied in and will go red on approach of a train. There is a big project expected in the spring/summer to complete the rehab of the tracks. Once that is done the final determination of resumption of train service will be made. We're looking forward to it as much as you are!"
Last edited by bmwr12 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by bluedash2

bmwr12 wrote:It appears from driving over the Rt.70 bridge this afternoon that the repairs on this bridge are completed and the track is now reconnected in Lakehurst. They only repaired 1 of the 2 tracks. Also NJSL posted on there Facebook page this week that the rehab was going to start soon and I quote

"New Jersey Seashore Lines- The highway traffic signals on Lacey Rd at Manchester Blvd. are tied in and will go red on approach of a train. There is a big project expected in the spring/summer to complete the rehab of the tracks. Once that is done the final determination of resumption of train service will be made. We're looking forward to it as much as you are!"
They did? I just looked it up and nothing has been posted on there and the CMSL FB page since the Santa Train pics.