• Corona virus impacts on Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Train60

From the 3/12/2020 Amtrak Coronavirus Update

In coordination with the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation, starting Friday, March 13 Keystone Service will operate on a reduced schedule, with no service to the Ardmore Station. Eighteen daily Keystone trains will still operate during the week (9 in each direction), as will the typical service of two daily Pennsylvanian trains. All trains will remain in service on the weekend. This schedule reflects the “S” schedule or special schedule that Keystone Service has set for severe weather or other service disruptions. The complete modified schedule can be found on Amtrak.com.

https://media.amtrak.com/2020/03/amtrak ... vironment/
  by east point

North bound Auto Train probably will be fairly full. South bound ? ? Before you take a shot at the Spanish flu you should go to the PBS program ----. American experience is running a 1 hour show about what happened ! Draw your own conclusions. Just found out it is repeating at 2 PM EDT today on the world channel of PBS. Also world channel 1 PM EDT today.
  by Tadman

Auto train is usually more for snowbirds trying to move a car or two south for the season. It's not cheap, certainly not as cheap as the Silver trains plus rental for 3 days or uber from the station/airport to Disney.
  by Train60

CTDOT just announced that all Hartford Line (Amtrak and CTrail operated) trains between New Haven and Springfield will be operating on a "Saturday schedule" 7-days a week starting on Mon. March 16th. The Valley Flyer service up to Greenfield will also use the Saturday schedule effective next Monday. Further details on this link -- https://bit.ly/2wUm898

One has to wonder if Amtrak plans to switch all NEC service over to a Saturday schedule on Monday too. We'll know soon enough.
  by nomis

Amtrak will be operating a Daily Saturday-esque schedule, at least on the east end of the NEC, starting on Monday 3/16. It is currently available on amtrak.com for booking.
  by lordsigma12345

Tadman wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:27 am Auto train is usually more for snowbirds trying to move a car or two south for the season. It's not cheap, certainly not as cheap as the Silver trains plus rental for 3 days or uber from the station/airport to Disney.
Actually on my two most recent trips I considered taking the silver service instead of the auto train and renting a car in Florida. A roomette on the auto train was much more cost effective even when including the vehicle AND priority offloading cost. And that was in comparison to JUST the Meteor roomette and connecting northeast regional train from Springfield to NYP I would have taken without factoring in a rental car.
  by 8th Notch

nomis wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:45 pm Amtrak will be operating a Daily Saturday-esque schedule, at least on the east end of the NEC, starting on Monday 3/16. It is currently available on amtrak.com for booking.
The plan is to run Sat service everyday for the next 3 weeks starting on Monday... All Regional consist are being reduced to 6 cars in order to run with only 1 Cndr and A/C per CBA
  by Fishrrman

Got passed this notice this evening, take it for what it's worth:
=====================================
EMERGENCY NOTICE
PLEASE READ

DETAILED PROCESS FOR TRANSITION TO EXTRA SERVICE
T&E EMPLOYEES ZONES 1 and 2

Due to emergency circumstances, all Train and Engine road assignments in (BOS,NHV,SPG,NYZ, NYP,HAR,PHL,WAS) will be abolished effective 11:59pm, Sunday 3/15/20. Initially, no yard assignments will be affected.
All employees on an abolished position must mark up to the extra list by 11:59am, or after the completion of their assignment on Monday to protect their guarantee. Employees will be assigned a relief day on a first come first serve basis. After one week, we will establish a subsequent re-awarding of relief days based on seniority.
Displacements will not be permitted at the time of the abolishment but will be allowed when all positions are advertised. We intend to advertise positions within three weeks.
  by 8th Notch

Fishrrman wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 pm Got passed this notice this evening, take it for what it's worth:
=====================================
EMERGENCY NOTICE
PLEASE READ

DETAILED PROCESS FOR TRANSITION TO EXTRA SERVICE
T&E EMPLOYEES ZONES 1 and 2

Due to emergency circumstances, all Train and Engine road assignments in (BOS,NHV,SPG,NYZ, NYP,HAR,PHL,WAS) will be abolished effective 11:59pm, Sunday 3/15/20. Initially, no yard assignments will be affected.
All employees on an abolished position must mark up to the extra list by 11:59am, or after the completion of their assignment on Monday to protect their guarantee. Employees will be assigned a relief day on a first come first serve basis. After one week, we will establish a subsequent re-awarding of relief days based on seniority.
Displacements will not be permitted at the time of the abolishment but will be allowed when all positions are advertised. We intend to advertise positions within three weeks.
I will go as far as saying that that’s an internal memo that was sent out by the company....
  by exvalley

Can someone translate? Is this saying no NEC service after Sunday?
  by STrRedWolf

No. Saturday schedule for the foreseeable future.

Amtrak’s site:
Northeast Corridor: We will be temporarily implementing revised Northeast Corridor schedules effective Monday, March 16 through Sunday, March 29 by running the typical Saturday schedule on a daily basis. Frequent service will be available on Acela and Northeast Regional trains between Boston, New York, Washington, and Virginia.
  by 8th Notch

exvalley wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:35 am Can someone translate? Is this saying no NEC service after Sunday?
That was an internal memo sent out to employees regarding job assignments, has nothing to do with the general public. It really has no purpose being on here.
  by Gilbert B Norman

While any T&E Labor Agreement I came in contact with during my industry career, both my road and others, called for passenger assignments to be posted and employees to bid for such and be awarded on seniority.

But this is an extraordinary circumstance, where the Carrier (that's Amtrak in this case, young railfans), cannot reasonably ascertain their "requirements of service", and Amtrak has chosen to have road service "unsssigned". I'm sure this was done with the concurrence of the Chairmen.

Should I be mistaken, I'm sure the likes of Messrs. Approach, Eighth Notch, Hogger, and Third Rail, will be quick to advise (Mr. Railnut ss well; even if not his property; but then, not mine).
  by eolesen

Sounds like Amtrak is invoking Force Majeure in the labor agreements... airlines are doing the same with their unions, which basically allows the company to bypass quality of workplace provisions of the contract like bidding/assignment by seniority.
  by Backshophoss

Tnanks to the virus,all active T&E crews are on the Extra board,some of the senior crews work,others will get paid to wait at home for a call
to work.