• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by Jonathan

Otto, I have to agree with you there. If you gave me the chance to try and recreate the moments I have had this past weekend with my family, I don't think we could do it all again. Great meeting you at Intervale Cross Road and hopefully our paths cross again.
  by Jonathan

Dick H wrote:Here is a report on the freight train operation. The freight train with the 573 on
the south end and the 216 on the north end ran down to Conway with six freight
cars and the CSRX caboose (not the newly acquired Maine Eastern caboose).
There was a "demonstration" at Conway involving a ballast car and a box car.
The 4266 arrived with the 1030 Conway passenger train and the 216 was put
on the passenger train and the 4266 mu'ed with the 573 on the freight train.
The freight train ran to North Conway and set off the B&M box car on the
freight house track. Then it proceeded to and backed off on the Mountain
Branch to clear for the returning Bartlett train. The freight train then ran
to Bartlett. The power ran around the train. With the 4266 now leading,
they picked up the BAR reefer car and set off a ballast car on the freight
house lead.

With the Bartlett train soon to be arriving and the Notch train also due,
the freight train backed to the siding along the Bartlett Engine House.
The Notch train arrived and held the main and the Bartlett train then
arrived and took the number two track at the freight house. A three
way meet at Bartlett. The Notch train left first, then the Bartlett train
and the freight train last. The meet was well planned and executed.
Thanks to the CSRX management and crews for a job well done.
I chased the freight extra all day and I have to say, it was one of the greatest chases I've done. Two moments stand out for me. The first is down in Conway where 573 and 216 were running all over the place. I came away with a good number of shots of 216, 573 and 4266. The second is Rolling Ridge Road, it was almost a party down there.
  by drvmusic

shadyjay wrote:Saw the RDC parked next to the platform track on Saturday afternoon (after 4) and again Sunday. Not sure if she left the yard, but could have earlier in the day on Sat.
She didn't run at all. Sat in place. There was supposed to be an 8:30am trip to Redstone and other areas, but it was scrapped when the state did not grant approval. I was supposed to be on the ride. Ended up upgrading to the Freight Extra.
  by drvmusic

Here are my videos from this year's Railfan's Weekend (Saturday only). Included are the freight extra, and the demonstrations they did at Conway. Some views from the cupola of the caboose as well. Also got some nice footage of the photo runby on Moat Trestle. Got some footage of the Valley Train with 216 and one of the Notch Train arriving back with 252. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... aQwfNiFlU9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by drvmusic on Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by EastYorkTrainFaan

I find it interesting how for rail fans weekend they come up with different combinations of equipment. For example, the year I went they took the notch train to Hazen, at Fabian, they split "the sisters" (6505 and 6516). The trio didn't begin in north Conway though when we went to pick up our tickets we got told we had to go down to the freight house in Conway, they had everyone taking the notch train that day park there. 4426 then led the notch train down from North Conway heading in reverse she then ran around the train and took us all the way to mountain junction where we met up with the sisters and swapped motive power (kind of an odd place to do it as there wasn't an opportunity to get off the train to see it.) Next, we proceded as normal until reaching notch land where they stopped to let people off for a run by and then proceded on to Crawford notch for the usual stop and then on to Fabian where the aforementioned split of the sisters occurred after going back to Fabian from Haxen the put the sisters back together and pulled the train back to the fright house in Conway using the passing track in North Conway to pass the valley train bound for Bartlet.

On sunday the took the notch train to Bartlet and split the sisters and had one take the first class coaches and the other took the coach class ones. They then ran 4426 with a single coach to Crawford notch and added it to the back of the train and put 4426 at the head of the train and MUD it to the sisters. It then proceeded to Fabian did a runaround and then a photo run by where they back the train up past Fabin and ran her and stopped on the bridge past the road to the cog railroad. After returning to North Conway they put the train int a siding and then took the three engines down to Conway to meet the Vallely train being pulled by 537 so they ended up having all four working engines pulling one train.
  by b&m 1566

A lot has changed since those days. Although I did not attend this year, one thing I really like is that they are always looking at different things to do. This year the focus was the freight train and the demos they put on, I don't ever recall them putting on demos, and spotting cars like they did this year. Last year the big day was the Red Ball Special the year before that, was the 1751, 573 and the 4266 lash up on the last train of the day. In years past they use to have passenger extras and freight extras meet the notch train as Sawyers River, 1055 always seem to have the job with the freight extras and 15 with the passenger extras and off course there are many other things that have come and gone over the years.
Hopefully 7470, will be back in operation next year and they will add yet another chapter to the ever popular Railfan's Weekend. I must admit, I was hoping 7470 would get its turn at a Red Ball Special but I understand there's a lot of "Red Tape" for them to venture out on to common carrier rail, so we may never see another Red Ball Special again; unless New Hampshire Central does something of their own but that's a different discussion for another time.
  by gokeefe

Thanks for the video of the freight extra. Priceless stuff and remarkable for it's "period" authenticity.
  by Jonathan

I have a prediction for next year, 7470 freight extra.... that would be eye candy for Railfans like myself.
  by drvmusic

gokeefe wrote:Thanks for the video of the freight extra. Priceless stuff and remarkable for it's "period" authenticity.
The whole event was very well done by the crew. My only regret in filming is that I didn't hit "record" for the actual offloading of the "freight" into the milk truck. I looked down after and saw "STBY" on my screen. I also forgot the clip that attaches my camera to my tripod, so I was without that.
  by gokeefe

I wondered why it cutoff the way it did. Fascinating nonetheless to see something so close to "the real deal". Just seeing the interaction between the boxcar, the platform and the "shipper" was great.
  by CSRR573

EastYorkTrainFaan wrote:I find it interesting how for rail fans weekend they come up with different combinations of equipment. For example, the year I went they took the notch train to Hazen, at Fabian, they split "the sisters" (6505 and 6516). The trio didn't begin in north Conway though when we went to pick up our tickets we got told we had to go down to the freight house in Conway, they had everyone taking the notch train that day park there. 4426 then led the notch train down from North Conway heading in reverse she then ran around the train and took us all the way to mountain junction where we met up with the sisters and swapped motive power (kind of an odd place to do it as there wasn't an opportunity to get off the train to see it.) Next, we proceded as normal until reaching notch land where they stopped to let people off for a run by and then proceded on to Crawford notch for the usual stop and then on to Fabian where the aforementioned split of the sisters occurred after going back to Fabian from Haxen the put the sisters back together and pulled the train back to the fright house in Conway using the passing track in North Conway to pass the valley train bound for Bartlet.

On sunday the took the notch train to Bartlet and split the sisters and had one take the first class coaches and the other took the coach class ones. They then ran 4426 with a single coach to Crawford notch and added it to the back of the train and put 4426 at the head of the train and MUD it to the sisters. It then proceeded to Fabian did a runaround and then a photo run by where they back the train up past Fabin and ran her and stopped on the bridge past the road to the cog railroad. After returning to North Conway they put the train int a siding and then took the three engines down to Conway to meet the Vallely train being pulled by 537 so they ended up having all four working engines pulling one train.

I remember those days, sounds like 2005 or so. One thing i miss is the single car run to sawyers river
  by backroadrails

1751 went to Whitefield this week and moved a few cars around on NHCR before grabbing a B&M 40’ box car and a unknown flat car with a V plow on it.
  by drvmusic

backroadrails wrote:1751 went to Whitefield this week and moved a few cars around on NHCR before grabbing a B&M 40’ box car and a unknown flat car with a V plow on it.
Good to hear. Maybe it's fixed now. Missed it at RF Weekend.
  by b&m 1566

drvmusic wrote:She didn't run at all. Sat in place. There was supposed to be an 8:30am trip to Redstone and other areas, but it was scrapped when the state did not grant approval. I was supposed to be on the ride. Ended up upgrading to the Freight Extra.
What do you mean the state didn't grant approval? I've never heard such a thing before.