• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by backroadrails

Per a post on the “Abandoned Rails” Facebook group, the cars stored at Conway have been removed from where they were being stored and the area is now clear of brush. Also something to note the MEC pulp car and crane car were moved out of Bartlett last week. Could the two freight cars be on this year’s photo freight?
  by theseaandalifesaver

Where were they being stored at Bartlett? Inside the roundhouse? Any picture? I don't think I've ever seen these in the 20 years I've been going up there.
  by p42thedowneaster

I think the pulp car came down with the snow plow and hoppers from Whitefield and was parked in Bartlett that same day. My guess is both were stored on the siding east of the Bartlett runaround where the unrestored passenger coaches are kept. I have also seen the lift-car parked further west of the crossover, somewhere between the freight house and roundhouse.

***correction**(the pulp car came down recently with the "new" B&M boxcar)
  by Dick H

Check Out the CSRX Facebook Page, posted today.

"Join us this weekend for Railfans’ Weekend! Highlights include displays and demonstrations, plus a freight train extra on Saturday. Sunday’s excursion to the Whitefield Diamond will be the final CSRR-operated passenger train to this location!"

https://www.facebook.com/ConwayScenicRailroad/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.conwayscenic.com/blog/railfans-weekend" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No mention of Millie. Looks like the RDC will not be running.
  by Dick H

On the Whitefield issue, probably more detailed than this, but
always remember "a new broom sweeps clean".
  by b&m 1566

BandA wrote:Why is that the final CSRR excursion to Whitefield?
You need to remember, the Conway Scenic is not a common carrier railroad and the track they operate on is not either (both the Conway Branch and the Mountain Division were abandoned before they started service on both lines). The track from Hazen's to the diamond is not abandoned and still under common carrier status. There's a lot of paperwork to get the required clearance from the STB for this train to run, I imagine that process is pricey and time consuming.
  by gokeefe

I don't think it's the new management. I'm guessing the FRA said "no more". After understanding all the implications I'm surprised they're doing it again.
  by flyingfox10

The crane car and low bed flat were stored on the siding in Bartlett between the freight house and roundhouse. They were moved there from the North Conway yard in 2010 when the wooden plow was moved to the Bartlett roundhouse.
  by shadyjay

I was on Sunday's extra to the Whitefield ball signal. Our motive power was 4266/252, with 252 being put on the rear of the train at Fabyans. We stayed that way (4266 on west/252 on east) to Whitefield, then back to North Conway. Consist was 5 cars: dining car, CP Reed, dome, coach, and open car. I sat in the open car the whole time. Very nicely done by all parties involved. We got back to North Conway about 5:15pm.

For my full photo album, see my FLICKR page:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/ ... 0864738077" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On Saturday, I observed 216 on the Valley train, 252 on the Notch train, and 252 on the 4:30 to Bartlett. Didn't see 573/4266 that day... they must've been out with the freight. The caboose didn't look like it was in service yet, sitting next to 501 on the turntable leads. 1751 I saw on the turntable... wasn't sure if it was running or not. The prime mover for 4268 was sitting in the parking lot behind the roundhouse.

A great job by CSRR for this event, as always! Can't wait to see the return of steam, and what the future holds!
  by Dick H

Here is a report on the freight train operation. The freight train with the 573 on
the south end and the 216 on the north end ran down to Conway with six freight
cars and the CSRX caboose (not the newly acquired Maine Eastern caboose).
There was a "demonstration" at Conway involving a ballast car and a box car.
The 4266 arrived with the 1030 Conway passenger train and the 216 was put
on the passenger train and the 4266 mu'ed with the 573 on the freight train.
The freight train ran to North Conway and set off the B&M box car on the
freight house track. Then it proceeded to and backed off on the Mountain
Branch to clear for the returning Bartlett train. The freight train then ran
to Bartlett. The power ran around the train. With the 4266 now leading,
they picked up the BAR reefer car and set off a ballast car on the freight
house lead.

With the Bartlett train soon to be arriving and the Notch train also due,
the freight train backed to the siding along the Bartlett Engine House.
The Notch train arrived and held the main and the Bartlett train then
arrived and took the number two track at the freight house. A three
way meet at Bartlett. The Notch train left first, then the Bartlett train
and the freight train last. The meet was well planned and executed.
Thanks to the CSRX management and crews for a job well done.

And many more thanks to shadyjay for his report and many photos.
  by b&m 1566

So, did the freight train not go to Sawyers River as originally planned and did they not run the RDC? I know orginally the RDC was supposed to go down to Redstone/Saco River Bridge then shadow the freight extra the rest of the day.
  by shadyjay

Saw the RDC parked next to the platform track on Saturday afternoon (after 4) and again Sunday. Not sure if she left the yard, but could have earlier in the day on Sat.
  by Otto Vondrak

I thought the Conway Scenic crews did a fine job not only with the train operation, but with all the "extras" including "loading freight" at Conway, the ballast loading operation, the three-way meet at Bartlett, the whole operation to Whitefield and more. I'm glad I got to share in part of it.

-otto-