Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

by qboy

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:I was wondering what all the construction on that line above Bensenville Yard was, well I guess that explains it.

BNSF is now putting the East Lisle crossovers that were removed a few years ago back in, preparing for the next phase of the Belmont underpass project. No more work has been done at Naperville, but I'd expect the new signals there to be put up very soon and cut over shortly afterward. It looks like the old signals will remain up at East Lisle as the signal bridges were left intact after the crossovers were removed and the bottom interlocking signals never were taken down.

One interesting thing is that BNSF is putting the new cantilevers for the EBCS West Naperville and the EBCS East Naperville in front of the old signal bridges, so it'll be interesting to see how BNSF cuts those two over without interfering with the engineer's vision of those signals. The new signal bridge for the WBCS West Naperville is behind the old one like usual so that won't be a issue there. The two new bridges themselves for West Naperville are sitting by the Children's museum parking lot while the new one for East Naperville is off to the side of the access road just east of Loomis Street.
I'm sure the cab signals help with the issue of interfering with the view of wayside signals to some degree.
  by MetraBNSF

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:BNSF is now putting the East Lisle crossovers that were removed a few years ago back in, preparing for the next phase of the Belmont underpass project. No more work has been done at Naperville, but I'd expect the new signals there to be put up very soon and cut over shortly afterward. It looks like the old signals will remain up at East Lisle as the signal bridges were left intact after the crossovers were removed and the bottom interlocking signals never were taken down.
I kinda wondered why BNSF decided to remove the crossovers at I-355 in the first place, knowing even before the Belmont Road underpass project would become a reality that some track shifts would probably be needed. When the crossovers were removed I was under the impression that new intermediate signals would go up.

Speaking of the Belmont Road underpass project, new permit and pay lots have been constructed and have been in operation for a while now. One lot sits south of the mains and east of Belmont Road. Another lot is located northwest of the crossing at Puffer Road and Haddow Ave, over by Puffer School. The runaround road was constructed as part of the advance contract last year which will take Belmont Road east of the current crossing. It is only a two lane road. I would think in the next few weeks the temporary grade crossing will be constructed and grade crossing equipment will be relocated and the project will really get into full gear.

I will try to post pictures of the area since the last time I put up pics of the area as time permits.
  by Curly Howard

I have read in the northwest herald that they are planing another station and layup yard east of Woodstock.

There are also plans to put a minor league ballpark in the area.
  by doepack

Taking a closer look at the details for the Belmont project, when the two-track phase starts next year, track 1 is going to be OOS, and track 2 will be in a different alignment through the construction zone. I'm assuming that the two-track operation will be between the DG & East Lisle control points, and, based on current operating practices, westbound traffic will be affected more often than eastbounds. Good to see that a pedestrian tunnel is included in the final design, that will make at least the third station on this route west of Downers Grove that has one (I know Lisle and Naperville have them already, I think Route 59 does too, but not sure...)

With all the complexities involved in the construction, this is going to be very interesting...
  by MetraBNSF

doepack wrote:Good to see that a pedestrian tunnel is included in the final design, that will make at least the third station on this route west of Downers Grove that has one (I know Lisle and Naperville have them already, I think Route 59 does too, but not sure...)
Route 59 station does have a pedestrian tunnel.
  by Jersey_Mike

I just noticed with some sadness that Gresham Junction tower was closed a few months ago. You might not be aware but the tower housed the last operating example of a rare sequential switch interlocking machine manufactured by the Standard Telephone and Cables company of London. Does anyone know if there has been any efforts to preserve the equipment there or if anyone is even aware of the significance of it? Also does anyone have pictures of the rebuilt interlocking?
  by doepack

Jersey_Mike wrote:I just noticed with some sadness that Gresham Junction tower was closed a few months ago. You might not be aware but the tower housed the last operating example of a rare sequential switch interlocking machine manufactured by the Standard Telephone and Cables company of London. Does anyone know if there has been any efforts to preserve the equipment there or if anyone is even aware of the significance of it? Also does anyone have pictures of the rebuilt interlocking?
I knew the interlocking machine at Gresham Tower had been rebuilt with this equipment over 30 years ago, but before now, I didn't know the actual name of the company. Thanks for providing that, and unfortunately no, I'm not aware of any attempts to preserve this...
  by jpIllInoIs

I saw a crew working at the Grays Lake crossing of the MDN and CN. Any info on the project that is underway?
  by metraRI

New renderings are out of what the new 80th Avenue station will look like:
ImageImage
This is of course the busiest station on RI, and the 5th busiest in the entire system. Construction is expected to begin within the next few months.
  by EricL

The artist's rendering suggests a love-child of Glenview and Roselle!
  by metraRI

EricL wrote:The artist's rendering suggests a love-child of Glenview and Roselle!
Legat Architects have designed the new 80th Avenue, as well as Glenview... so not surprising to see similarities. Legat also designed Tinley Park Oak Park Ave.
  by EJ&ESDM809

Other than the clock tower, that station would look pretty similar to Wheaton's depot also. The arches over the doors with the name it in appear pretty much identical to the ones at Wheaton. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kayakman/340990974/
  by MetraBNSF

It appears that the construction workers' strike affecting road construction projects around the area will delay the closure of Belmont Road in Downers Grove. Saw a bunch of signs posted at the Belmont station saying that the road closure (which was scheduled to take place on July 12) is delayed until further notice. Up until the work stoppage the runaround road was being constructed and signal bases for the relocated grade crossing equipment were installed.