Railroad Forums 

• Conference Car 9800

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1350152  by Matt Johnson

Seems the Phase 3 syndrome is spreading, with Corridor Clipper the latest victim. I thought I was looking at an old photo when I first saw this, when the trains tended to look awful with mixed color schemes. Sorry to say, after a few years of finally having decent looking uniform consists, this Phase 3 resurrection is just making the trains look worse.
 #1350323  by jp1822

Can the conference car be booked for non-Amtrak business on the NEC? When I called to find out about rates on this car, the reservation agent had NO CLUE what I was talking about. I recently called a few days ago and got a "I don't think we operate that car any more." So maybe it is just for the business fleet? If not, and for revenue booking, why not produce a single quarter sheet double sided page on how this car could be booked. It may be a popular option for a business team travelling to Boston, NYP, WAS etc. to make a business pitch to a prospective customer. I'll be honest - that's why I called. I wanted to prep the my team before a 1 pm meeting in DC. We were headquartered in NYP at the time and I also figured they may be able to provide us with lunch. Instead we were able to get four table seats on the train.......but it wasn't easy and we had to beg one person to move!
 #1350332  by AgentSkelly

Last I checked, there is an entire department that handles charter services at Amtrak. I'm betting it falls under their powers.
 #1636680  by MACTRAXX

JS: Conference Car 9800 needs at the very least some touch-up of the blue on the front end...
This is a good color scheme used along with the super-reflectorized red and white striping...

I remember being told that the reason for the use of the METROLINER name on #9800 is that at least one
car had to retain the name for the trade marks or copyrights to be kept en force by Amtrak... MACTRAXX
 #1636683  by Gilbert B Norman

MACTRAXX wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:16 am I remember being told that the reason for the use of the METROLINER name on #9800 is that at least one
car had to retain the name for the trade marks or copyrights to be kept en force by Amtrak... MACTRAXX
Have learned same myself independent of your immediate, Mr. MACTRAXX.

You will also find out there are cars proclaiming "Northeast Regional" as well as the other trademarked brands Amtrak has used over the years.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1636772  by Tadman

Interesting to see those little congress domes on the bottom corners of her front end. Never noticed that before.

Also, "road worthy at 160" - wasn't the limit 125?
 #1636789  by Matt Johnson

Tadman wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:48 am
Also, "road worthy at 160" - wasn't the limit 125?
The Budd Metroliners were intended to run at 160 mph, which would have made them the fastest trains in the world beating the first generation Shinkansens by a solid 30 mph. They attained speeds in excess of 160 mph in test runs, as commemorated by a plaque still displayed at the Princeton Junction train station, but of course never met that goal in service.
Attachments:
HSR_Plaque_TO.jpg
HSR_Plaque_TO.jpg (241.27 KiB) Viewed 361 times
160mph.jpg
160mph.jpg (45.96 KiB) Viewed 361 times
 #1636828  by west point

My understanding is that the real Metroliners had trouble maintain that speed due to PANs losing contact with the CAT. That was before a real understanding of the differences of variable tension CAT which was what they tested on and the coming constant tension CAT now the gold standard.