Railroad Forums 

• Conference Car 9800

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#99911  by Acela82

I have a question about the #9800 Conference Car with Control Cab (ex Metroliner). Is this Car used regulary as cabcar in the NEC or is it just used for special runs?

Thanks, Michael

#99963  by astrosa

No, the car is not used in regular service. To my knowledge it is only used on special trains when a conference car is needed or requested. Also, I doubt it is ever used as a cab car either, since not many NEC trains would need one.

#99965  by AmtrakFan

I believe they use it for special trains as well as corporate affairs.

#100050  by queenlnr8

Can an every day traveller request (for a fee of course) a (the??) confrence car to use for their confrence? I think that this would be a very impressive way to get clients to a fro on the NEC and beyond.

#100121  by NJD8598

If I remember correctly, as long as your willing to pay, Amtrak will put a train together for your use, but I'm not sure how specific you can get with the cars you want. For instance the Bridgeport Diocese here has had an Amtrak train for a few years now that takes passengers from this area down to Washington for the big anti-abortion rally. The only people on the train are those who have made arrangments, for instance school groups.

#101787  by DutchRailnut

Cab car 9800 can only be used as cab car with the AEM7's and HHP8's not with diesels.
Amtrak does not use the car as cab car due to speed restriction in push mode.
It has been used in push mode on non-Reveneu moves like the HHP-8 test trains .
 #156624  by CSX Conductor

Forgot to post before, but saw that Amtrak "Business Coach" #9800 was on #67 in Boston Thursday night with the control-cab facing the rear of the AEM-7 that was pulling the train. What is this coach used for? Is it used for Amtrak personnel, or is it booked for groups such as business travelers?

#156646  by DutchRailnut

The control cab is rarely used, if any,
Ive only seen it used on test trains.
The car itself is usualy used for group travel.
In other news I saw Corridor Clipper go east from Stamford 3 times in last two weeks. at about 1250 in afternoon.

#156701  by fafafooey

The 9800 was used the day before to haul the chicago White Sox from NYP after beating the Yankees.
 #372568  by spencer8b75

While working my overnight sift at SSYD on March 8TH one of my responsibilities was do do a Class One Brake Test on train #181. To my surprise , First class conference car # 9800 was D/H to WAS on the rear of the train. It is always nice to have a second set of airgauges to compare the accuracy of the ones in the locomotive up front...So I thought. After walking to the rear of the train to visually inspect that the whole train was taking brake I climbed aboard the 9800. I had made full service brake application in the lead unit and wanted to compare the brake pipe reading with the one in 9800 and put on the rear marker lights. When I got to the cab I was very surprised..The Cab Controls and the engineers seat were gone. After a closer look I noticed the horn and the strobe light bar from the roof were removed also. All that remained was an empty space and a small empty console. After completeing my other duties for the night I asked my Foreman about the 9800..He had no idea what the 9800 even was..I do not know why I was surprised to find that out. Eventually I asked a member of the tech training department and he said it was done as a cost saving measure. This car really gets around and it often goes places with stub end tracks. The train will now have to be wyed whenever it goes to a terminal with stub end tracks..The car is still really amazing on the inside but it lost a big part of what made it unique.....This is my last week at Amtrak..Its off to CSX I go

#372607  by hsr_fan

That's surprising, given that 125 mph push-pull operation is apparently no longer frowned upon by the FRA, as evidenced by current Keystone operation on the NEC.

#372611  by gprimr1

This is Amtrak's Geometry car right?

#372617  by DutchRailnut

no 9800 is Metro Liner Conference car.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20030 ... 619172.jpg

only time I have known it to be used as Cab car was testing the HHP-8's on delivery.
here is other picture:
http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtGEOM/amt9800.jpg