• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by octr202

T Alert for 806 said Amtrak 66 would be stopping at Sharon to try to handle the crowds.
  by mdamico23

ST214 wrote:OUCH!

:(

A Geep did the same thing a few years ago, but without that kind of damage. Perhaps 1009 will be used to bring 1014 back from the dead.....
Hi Everyone- the 1009 and its consist were in the Fitchburg Yard this morning. 3247 was on the east side of the consist, looking like it was going to tow the whole thing back to BET.

I heard that the 1009 had its front truck sheared off- it must have been reattached or there are a pair of shop trucks underneath, since the consist made it back to the yard. Glad everyone was ok- it was nasty out there yesterday. Even this morning, the roads were quite slippery. Can't imagine being the engineer and realizing that you are not going to stop in time.

-Mike
  by ck4049

They probably had to torch the front pilot off in order to get it out of the debris pile it created when it bulldozed through the bumper.
  by GP40MC 1116

As long as no one got hurt that's all that matters. I'll leave the investigation to the investigators as speculation isn't appropriate without first hand knowledge :-D

On a lighter note, I wonder if the MBTA has thought to call MPI and get those GP40WH-2 going again!
  by ck4049

GP40MC 1116 wrote: On a lighter note, I wonder if the MBTA has thought to call MPI and get those GP40WH-2 going again!
The way the screamers are phasing out lately it would probably be a good idea to do so.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

The EGE wrote:Southside blew up today. On the Franklin, 704 died at Walpole and 706 is rescuing/ operating as a double draft. Providence is a CF with 8 alerts as of 8:20am; #806 was delayed half an hour due to Amtrak and was so full after Mansfield that it didn't even stop at Canton Junction.
All was because of Amtrak, a contractor's cherry picker hy-rail became disabled just West of Canton Junction early morning hours...by 10am, was still on Trk 1...which meant single track between JUNCTION and MANSFIELD...delays escalated quickly with just trk 2 in service
  by octr202

Starting to wonder what's going on out on the Fitchburg line...all day I've been seeing T'lerts referencing "freight train interference." Mid-morning it started with specific train delays, now they're just saying 30 min delays for the whole line due to it.
  by MBTA1070

ns3010 wrote:A slightly different angle...

Via @TiarraNorcross on Twitter:

Wow, quite hard to believe I just saw this locomotive on Sunday
  by BandA

Mbta fan wrote:That's not normal, where's the front truck?
It's the new 2-axle design. By putting all the weight on one truck it reduces wheel slip.
  by ck4049

BandA wrote:
Mbta fan wrote:That's not normal, where's the front truck?
It's the new 2-axle design. By putting all the weight on one truck it reduces wheel slip.
That new design obviously did not work too well in this case, huh ;)
  by Backshophoss

It's that black mass in the remains of the bumping block.
The rails must have been covered with ice! :(