• Coast Starlight Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Greg Moore

Darien Red Sox wrote:I could tell right away that that was not Super Liner equipment, and I have never been on a Super Liner. Also that lounge car did not sound right, how do you stick what sounds like a older single level lounge car on to a double Decker train?
You do it because you're writing a comedy, not a documentary. Seriously folks, there's very little incentive for a show like this to care, let alone get it right.
  by Scoring Guy

The interior shown on the show of the coach car was wrong for two big reasons: (1) The Superliner coaches have seats all facing forward, and no tables in the coaches, and (2) The passengers boarding and leaving the car do so at the center of the car (going up ad down the stairs) not at the end of the carthrough some imaginary vestibule. Plus of course, there's no red interiors.

The "Pacific Parlour Car" is indeed correct for a "double decker" train as it was originally built as the lounge car for the bi-level El Capitan - Although it's about six inches shorter (i.e. less tall) than a Superliner, and floor levels don't quite match up. Amtrak also has a few El Capitan bi-level coaches in service, and when the first run of Superliners came out Amtrak used El Capitan Step-Up coaches as dorm cars. What was incorrect, was when the one charactor asked where he could 'buy a beer", and the other told him about the Pacific Parlour Car, BUT Pacific Parlour car is not available to coach passengers, ONLY sleeping car passengers. Plus they don't sell long neck bottles, nor do they sell non-alcoholic beer.

But the worst scene on the show was when the four guys were initially arguing about which way to travel to San Francisco, the one guy's response to the suggestion of taking the train was , "it takes six hours longer and costs twice as much" (as flying). Not the kind publicity that Amtrak needs.

Where the writers totally missed the boat (oops wrong analogy) was: Here's four geek physicists, involved in the space program, and they completely ignored the fact that the Coast Startlight travels through Vandenburg AFB, which is the west coast missle launching site, they would have been in slide rule heaven.

But, I hope, mentioning the train and Amtrak is a good thing no matter what. Recall I did stipulate that this topic was to lighten things up.
  by Printman2000

Scoring Guy wrote: Amtrak also has a few El Capitan bi-level coaches in service
That should be "had". There last use was on the Heartland Flyer and it has stopped using them. I believe they are not longer on Amtrak's rosters.
  by faxedhead

This was my first train experience, and im officially a big fan. The price for holiday peak season was also incredibly reasonable (for coach) relative to flying. I think ill take the train as much as i can from now on. Here are some photos I snapped along the way.

lax-pdx-on-rails
  by Vincent

Judging by the PDX clock tower it looks like your arrival was pretty close to on-time. Did you see many freight trains in the mountains?
  by DonPevsner

(1)I will be riding the "COAST STARLIGHT" from Los Angeles to Seattle on April 21-22, 2010, in a (single) Roomette. There is a regular dining car, PLUS a "Pacific Parlour Car, with alternative dining" for sleeping-car passengers. Which one has better food?

(2)Do sleeping-car passengers get breakfast out of Los Angeles, with a scheduled 10:15AM departure, or is lunch the first meal available?

(3)Assume that dinner will be served prior to a scheduled 8:45PM arrival in Seatle. Is this correct?
Last edited by DonPevsner on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Pevsner, there is an Amtrak Press Release now available at their website stating that the Starlight's Dining Service to be enhanced with ceramic and glass tableware. Whether such will include more items prepared on-board, such as with the Empire Builder and Auto-Train is not explicitly addressed. While it would be nice to hope such is the case, I think it would be premature to state that Starlight Dining Service is being returned to that pre-existing the Simplified Dining Service initiative.

Again, I point out that the term Diner-Lite is railfanese.
  by gprimr1

Lunch is the first meal available northbound out of LAX.

Light refreshment is available in the station before boarding.

Typically in my experience, Amtrak meal periods are:

Breakfast: Usually begins between 6 and 7 and ends between 8 and 9.

Lunch: Usually begins around 11 and ends around 1

Dinner: Usually begins around 4:30 and ends around 8. Dinner window is longer than the other two meals. Breakfast and Lunch are first come first serve, but dinner requires a reservation. The dining car Stewart will come through in the afternoon and ask for your preferred time.
  by CHANGEATJAMAICA

Two years ago we took CS and found the "new" food service offered in the Pacific Parlor car a tad more refinded and intimate than the diner. The entrees were different from those served in the diner. We were a little disapointed at lunch the next day when we had hoped to be served a Caesar Salad, but were given the same tossed salad that was on the diner menu. All in all the service on the Pacific Parlor car was better than in our previous trips.

We've found boarding non CS trains out of Los Angeles a mix between a riot and anarchy. I hope the use of the Traxx lounge for CS passengers engenders a boarding process more in keeping with the term "first class".

Enjoy your trip.

Best regards,
Rodger
  by Murjax

I've been watching videos of the Coast Starlight on Youtube, and it seems every other day they put an Amtrak California car on it. I know equipment is often deadheaded on this train between Seattle and L.A. (e.g. Sounder F59PHIs in need of servicing) but the fact it's on the train every other day now tells me that a lot of cars are being sent in for servicing or the Coast Starlight is actually using the car for something. Any thoughts on this?
  by pebbleworm

There was a San Joaquins car on the Starlight when i took it in November. I took a peek at an extended stop and it was empty, with paper runners on the floor. Alstom is overhauling California cars at Mare Island, so that could be where they are heading. Are the cars still attached by Sacaramento?
  by icgsteve

ON FEB 9 the CS finally reverted back to traditional service, with table cloths and china. Does anyone know if they are doing anything in the kitchen more than reheating? Anyone been on this train over the last two months? Anyone have any information on the wifi that they are reportedly testing right now on this train? I am told that all of the Parlors have been refitted and are now being used for service again, are they well done? All of the sleepers were supposed to get the once over at Beech Grove...did it ever happen.

I am going to try it again next month. Three years ago this train was in sorry shape....wondering how much better I can hope for this time.