Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by jtunnel

Train is in New Jersey now. Shows this year at Uniondale from 3/13 to 3/17. Change this year is no MSG show, but instead at the Barclay's center in Brooklyn from 3/20 to 4/1. Any ideas on where the train might be yarded near Barclay's Center? That's a long walk for the elephants from Uniondale..
  by Backshophoss

IF possible,they might layup the passenger cars at VD yard near Flatbush ave(Alantic Term.),if not there,Sunnyside(Freight side),
or Maspeth/Fresh Pond yards on the lower Montauk. Only other option might be to layup the whole train "upstairs"near Fremont.
  by jayrmli

This will be interesting to see what they do with this. I seriously doubt anything will be yarded in Fremont. There's not that much room and too busy a place to store that long of a train for a week or so.
  by SwingMan

Doubt those elephants can ride on the viaduct, and the E15s can't go through the tunnels leaving you with the E10s which is pretty much nothing as far as pulling 30+ cars. Maybe they'll have trucks or something to to transport them from Uniondale to Brooklyn. I doubt NYAR will just let them store their train for a week.
  by Insideman

At least the Atlantic Ave viaduct can handle the weight of a REAL train now...
  by ChessieDave

Uniondale 3/13 , does that mean the train arrives on 3/13 or is that the first showing?
  by Backshophoss

1st public show at Uniondale,If the train yards at VD,only the passenger cars used by the performers and staff,
everything else would(might) wind up at Maspeth yard,this would be the "livestock" cars and the flat cars.
The SW-1001's would only have to drag maybe 1/2 of the total train to/from VD at worst.
Then again the total tran may wind up at Sunnyside like they do for the MSG shows in the past.
  by R36 Combine Coach

Postings on SubChat suggest red train will head to Bay Ridge Yard on 3/18 and outbound on 4/2.
  by Backshophoss

If the Circus train winds up in Bay Ridge yard,Hand off to CSX would be at Fremont instead of Harold on the move to Ohio.
Since the Bay Ridge Branch and Lower Montauk are under NY+A control,then NY+A will take part in the "fun" of moving the
Circus train.
  by Andrew Saucci

I think I saw the circus train this morning in the yard west of US 1-9 and south of the Pulaski Skyway.
  by R36 Combine Coach

That would be Conrail Oak Island.
  by LIengineerBob

Believe me........the circus train is NOT going to VD yard in Brooklyn......to speculate such a thing is totally absurd and makes me think a lot of you don't have any idea of the physical characteristics of the LIRR in that area. There are so many close clearances there the MU cars barely fit.....no way heavyweight passenger cars with 6 wheel trucks and 86 foot flat cars are going to make it.

Do any of you have any idea what a process it is just to get a 6 cat MU train in there??

Forget about a 40 car circus train......the yard wouldn't even hold all the cars!!!
  by condr

LIengineerBob wrote:Believe me........the circus train is NOT going to VD yard in Brooklyn......to speculate such a thing is totally absurd and makes me think a lot of you don't have any idea of the physical characteristics of the LIRR in that area. There are so many close clearances there the MU cars barely fit.....no way heavyweight passenger cars with 6 wheel trucks and 86 foot flat cars are going to make it.

Do any of you have any idea what a process it is just to get a 6 cat MU train in there??

Forget about a 40 car circus train......the yard wouldn't even hold all the cars!!!
Thank You Bob. Well said!!!! Finally
  by jayrmli

I have on good authority that after leaving Nassau Coliseum, half of the train will go to Long Island City, the other half to Jersey. I'm not sure if this means that some attractions of the show will not be at Barclays.
  by freightguy

The circus train should be making its move on Mon 3/11 on the GMsecondary. Last year it was down towards Clinton Ave around early afternoon.