• China High Speed Rail development

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by amtrakowitz

george matthews wrote:
David Benton wrote:The kind of meltdown that has already happened in the private sector in the west ???
In my opinion the Anglo-American model is bust, especially the unchecked power of the financial sector. I recommend more Mondragon companies. What the Chinese model really amounts to is a mystery.
No, the only reason the "Anglo-American model" failed (if you can call it that) is due to it being abandoned. The other "models" (Chinese "new" communism", German Soziale Marktwirtschaft) were allowed into it to pollute it and bring it down. Restore it and it will crush the unfree mercantilist market models.

But none of that has to do with Chinese HSR that has been built too rapidly and with great corruption endemic.
  by jstolberg

China's passenger rail system apparently has a capacity of 5.88 million passengers per day. This year they rolled out online ticketing and the system is overwhelmed by people trying to book tickets for the Chinese New Year holiday.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-1 ... bsite.html
Zhang needed more than 50 attempts to book seats online earlier this month, he said, as the rail ministry’s website struggled to cope with 1 billion hits a day in the run-up to next week’s Lunar New Year holiday. Round two begins today as tickets for travel at the end of the weeklong break, China’s busiest travel period, start going on sale.
  by lpetrich

I don't want to get into models of capitalism.

But I wish to note another China HSR opening: Railway Gazette: Guangzhou - Shenzhen high speed line opens

It's part of the Guangzhou-Shenzhen-Hong Kong Express Rail Link, with the Shenzhen - Hong Kong part to be done by 2015.

Scheduled for this year is start of construction of 6366 km of railroad, including a 350-km/h Hangzhou - Hefei - Fuyang - Shangqiu one.

So China's Railway Mania continues.
  by Judsonzhao

hi everyone
Im a chinese student new to philly
its just intersting that some rail fans like you guys appeal to chinese hsr
i dont know if i can bring you some useful info.
Actually and generally, this whole project was supported by citizens, And it do brings great convenience. The price is ok. Further, it give back the capacity to normal rails for goods transportation, this is crucial in china.

MY OWN HSR EXPIERIENCE

I live next to Zhengzhou, and my university locates in Xi'an, my route just coincidents with Zhengxi HSR LINE. It began to work when I was a sophormore.
Bfore that,it took me 5 hours and more for one journey, now the fatest is less than one and half, I just could come back home at weekend!
Better, the new HSR Station is just 10 minutes drive near my home. but the one in xi 'an is way further..and this is common in some big cities, like shanghai and beijing, but they have developed great public transit at these stations.
I also tried other HSR and CRH trains, They are great.
CRH3 from Simense is the best, and CRH2C from japan is almost the same great.

I dont worry too much about the quality of the rail construction, but trains could be the problems. They work at higher speeds than the safe ones(now they have lowed down the speeds). And the most important thing is about management, and thats the key issue, and the main reason causing the tragedy.

Thanks~
  by george matthews

I dont worry too much about the quality of the rail construction, but trains could be the problems. They work at higher speeds than the safe ones(now they have lowed down the speeds). And the most important thing is about management, and thats the key issue, and the main reason causing the tragedy.
Thanks for your comments.

Are the High Speed trains generally full of passengers? My thought is that the fault causing the crash was in the signalling system.
  by Judsonzhao

george matthews wrote:
Thanks for your comments.

Are the High Speed trains generally full of passengers? My thought is that the fault causing the crash was in the signalling system.
Passenger is another issue.
For example, to buy tickets during Chinese New Year is toughest thing ever in the world, but for HSR, Its a little bit easier which means trains are almost full.
During general time, my experience is that you can always get tickets if you book 2 days before your trip, actually, I often just go to the station and get one. Clearly, its not always full, but 80% could be a good estimation I think.
And theres a interesting thing, at begening few people like this because its relative expensive, but after they tried HSR they simply can not o back. Some of my classmates are in this kind,uhh. And then I noticed the passenger became much more than the first half year it started.

Signal ing system has serious design flaws, but we still have hundreds ways to get rid of the crash. The people who iwas responsible for the controling misconducted. Furthermore, we dont have a mechanism to doublecheck the security.