• Catskill Mountain Railroad News - 2010

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by eehiv

Saturday, January 30th

On Saturday, January 30th, George Peck will lead a crew meeting at Phoenicia between 8:30am to 9am. Plans are to do boltwork somewhere east of the Route 28 crossing in Mt. Pleasant with the work train. As before, George says the bigger the crew the more he can get done. They will have their very warm caboose handy on the worktrain!

There will be no work scheduled for Kingston on Saturday.

Sunday, January 31st

Cornell Street yard will open at 10am.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Saturday January 30th

Saturday George Peck led a crew consisting of Michael Adsit and Greg Peck, and did a line inspection from Phoenicia to the Boiceville Bridge. Harry Jameson, Steve Gollow and Earl Pardini also participated in the inspection.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Saturday, February 6th

On Saturday, February 6th, George Peck will lead a crew meeting at Phoenicia between 8:30am to 9am. Plans are to do boltwork somewhere east of the Route 28 crossing in Mt. Pleasant with the work train.

The 702 crew plan to work Saturday starting at 10am.

Sunday, February 7th

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
  by JoshKarpoff

What are the major project goals of CMRR for 2010?
  by eehiv

Josh,

We will be approving our major project goals for 2010 at the 2/19 board meeting, and I will post them shortly thereafter.

Ernie Hunt
CMRR
  by eehiv

Saturday, February 6th

On Saturday, George Peck led a crew replacing bolts near Rock rock. They replaced bolts in 16 joints east of the cut and 28 west of the cut for a total of 44 joints. The crew consisted of Mike Adsit, Derek Stapleton, Earl Martin, Dave Mason, Brian Mason and John Watson.

Also on Saturday, the 702 crew worked on brakes. The crew consisted of Ernie Gehrer, George Liucci, Dick Wilhelm, Steve Gollow and Al Johnson.

Sunday, February 7th

On Sunday, Earl Pardini led a crew at Cornell Street. The crew consisted of Steve Gollow, John Patane, and newcomer Steve Warren. They did general cleanup in the yard.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
Catskill Mountain RR
  by eehiv

Saturday, February 13th

On Saturday, February 13th, George Peck will lead a crew meeting at Phoenicia between 8:30am to 9am. Plans are to continue to do boltwork somewhere east of the Route 28 crossing in Mt. Pleasant with the work train.

The 702 crew plan to work Saturday starting at 10am.

Sunday, February 14th

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by eehiv

Saturday, February 13th

On Saturday, George Peck led a crew replacing bolts east of Rock cut at MP 23.8. They replaced bolts in 26 joints. The crew consisted of Jason DiTolla, Mike Adsit, Dave Mason, Earl Martin, and Mark Glaser.

To date this year, the Phoenicia crew has replaced bolts in 123 joints (492 bolts), which has tightened bolts in over 1/3 mile of track.

Sunday, February 14th

On Sunday, Earl Pardini led a crew at Cornell Street. The crew consisted of Bob Blake, Mark Glaser, Ernie Klopping, and newcomer Steve Warren. They worked replacing some of the decking on flat 201 that supports the container where we store work tools.

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
Catskill Mountain RR
  by eehiv

Saturday, February 20th

On Saturday, George Peck will lead a crew meeting at Phoenicia between 8:30am to 9am. Plans are to continue to do boltwork somewhere east of the Route 28 crossing in Mt. Pleasant with the work train.

Sunday, February 21st

Ernie Hunt
Volunteer Coordinator
CMRR
  by DonPevsner

(1)I have profound admiration for all of the CMRC volunteers who are performing minor miracles with very little funding.

(2)That being said, however, and writing as the catalyst who saved the U&D from demolition by Penn Central between 1976-78, it is my painful duty to conclude that all of these valiant efforts are akin to simply putting makeup on a moribund corpse.

*(3)It will take outside funding of $35-40 million or so to totally restore the U&D to FRA Class II/III status between Kingston and Roxbury, thereby making it viable for the first time as a continuous tourist railroad with an impressive 57-mile total length, having finally reached "critical mass."

(4)In the more-distant future:

(a)It is totally feasible to relay the rails from Roxbury to Grand Gorge (where an unused turntable sits), and on from there to Stamford using the ROW now occupied by a Rail Trail. This would provide a 72-mile run, to a western terminus with more "critical mass" of its own than Roxbury and easy access to a plethora of tourist attractions in a wide arc from Stamford to Cooperstown via connecting shuttle van services.

(b)Finally, the dream of Steve Delibert, late President of the U&D Historical Society, was to use the abandoned ROW of the U&D from Roxbury to West Davenport and the "D&H connector" from there to Cooperstown Junction, plus the existing former D&H trackage between Cooperstown Junction and Cooperstown, to establish a through tourist railroad all the way from Kingston to Cooperstown. While contingent upon both adequate outside funding and the feasibility of acquiring possibly-reverted ROW land parcels by condemnation if necessary, this amazing vision would actually cost less than the new Ulster County Jail in Kingston will cost to build: a fact that amazed Congressman Maurice Hinchey, who has never managed to come-through with any meaningful Federal or NY State funding (such as STEAMTOWN NHS received in Scranton, PA, and as the Adirondack Scenic Railroad received between Remsen and Thendara and between Saranac Lake and Lake Placid) in his entire Congressional career.

*(5)What is urgently required is a sustained and professional fund-raising plan, such as that which enabled the "Walkway Over The Hudson" NY State Park to be created with $30.7 million from various public and private sources, leaving only a $8.1 million deficit that is presently covered by five-year loans from Ulster Savings Bank and M&T Trust Company. Targets would be the Federal Government; New York State; Ulster, Delaware, Schoharie and Otsego Counties; private foundations; large corporations; super-rich regional individuals and other suitable sources. I got involved with my own personal campaign to "save the U&D" back in 1962, at age 18, after having ridden New York Central freight OK-2 over the entire line that summer. I was 30 when I gave a 1974 speech to The Catskill Center for Conservation and Development, at Kass' Inn, that started the entire U&D preservation effort rolling. I was 34 when the O'Connor Foundation of Delhi and Ulster County purchased the Kingston-Bloomville sector of the U&D from Penn Central, in 1978: too late to stop the 1965 abandonment and 1966 rail removal between Bloomville and Oneonta, but still a fantastic occurrence. I am going to be 66 in April, 2010. At the present rate of "progress", very few individuals now involved will ever live to see a proper, functioning U&D restored to the railroad tourism scene. And this is a genuine tragedy.

(6)It is therefore high time to look beyond a few spikes, bolts and ballast piles, and to get the entire job done as soon as possible for the benefit of all parties.
Last edited by DonPevsner on Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
  by Passaic River Rat

DonPevsner wrote:...
(6)It is therefore high time to look beyond a few spikes, bolts and ballast piles, and to get the entire job done as soon as possible for the
benefit of all parties.
I don't understand. Are you calling all the work these guys did just a few spikes, bolts, and ballast piles?
  by Otto Vondrak

Passaic River Rat wrote:
DonPevsner wrote:...
(6)It is therefore high time to look beyond a few spikes, bolts and ballast piles, and to get the entire job done as soon as possible for the
benefit of all parties.
I don't understand. Are you calling all the work these guys did just a few spikes, bolts, and ballast piles?
I read and re-read the passage a few times to really understand what Don is trying to say. What I *hope* he is trying to say is that the Catskill Rail Corridor cannot be restored using volunteer labor alone, and that a serious investment and infusion of money will be needed in order to make serious progress. I don't know if the goal of CMRR was ever to complete the restoration "all at once" (and that sounds kinda improbable to me), but rather work in stages and make incremental process and attract potential public or private investment to finish the job. I'm not on the CMRR board, I don't speak for them, that's just my opinion.

Now, it's that's *not* what Don meant, then I expect to see his check in the mail shortly for $30 million... :-) Here's where you can send the check to...

http://catskillmtrailroad.com/contact.php

-otto-
  by Otto Vondrak

Oh, by the way, I did a slight redesign of the website to update it for 2010. We've also posted our 2010 operating schedule for the Scenic Trains and Fall Foliage Specials, and Charter Rates. Kingston schedule will follow shortly. Hope to see you on board this season, and thank you for your continued support.

http://catskillmtrailroad.com/

-otto-
CMRR Volunteer No. 108
  by DonPevsner

Otto Vondrak got my intentions exactly right (see above post by him). Unless big-bucks sources are sought-out and tapped, no one will be climbing Pine Hill in a tourist train from Kingston until the 22nd century.
  by charlie6017

DonPevsner wrote:Otto Vondrak got my intentions exactly right (see above post by him). Unless big-bucks sources are sought-out and tapped, no one will be climbing Pine Hill in a tourist train from Kingston until the 22nd century.
I understand what your saying, Don. But you know, I'm willing to bet many of these volunteers help (and I would be around there helping as well if I didn't live on the opposite end of NY State) because it's a labor of love--even though I'm sure they realize it will be a years-long endeavor. I would love for my young son to ride it someday with his family/my grandchildren hopefully someday. I hope it all comes to fruition for the generations of rail-enthusiasts to come!

Charlie