• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by LRail

Sorry, I'm sure this question has already been answered, but does the train layover between runs or deadhead back to Boston?
  by The ViRoCo

LRail wrote:Sorry, I'm sure this question has already been answered, but does the train layover between runs or deadhead back to Boston?
It stays in Hyannis
  by nomis

Boston-To-Cape Train Returns Friday With Additional Service
http://www.wbur.org/2015/05/21/capeflye ... rvice-2015
Last year, ridership was 12,625, according to the Cape Cod RTA. In 2013, the first year the service operated, ridership was 15,786. In that first year, though, service was extended by six weeks, through Columbus Day weekend, “which sort of skewed the ridership,” Cahir said.

Still, the CapeFLYER train service has made money over its first two years. In 2013, the CapeFLYER brought in revenue of $290,755 while its operating costs were $269,746 — a net profit of $21,009 — according to the Cape Cod RTA. Last year, the train service had a revenue of $221,293 while its operating costs were $180,757 — a net profit of $40,536.
  by GP40MC1118

210 + 5 bikes out of Boston tonight.

D
  by MetroBostonRailways

Double ended HSPs to kick the season off. The 2023 is leading southbound and 2029 is leading northbound. Also, they are using a unique consist this time. No Bi-Level cars whatsoever, instead they are using a mix of old MBB cars and Comet coaches, plus the Cafe car.
  by Arlington

from 1 year ago:
BenH wrote:The MBTA has reported, with this Twitter posting, that there were 310 passengers on the 1st run of the CapeFLYER this evening [May 2014]
https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/4699625 ... 48/photo/1

I assume that this count does not include the normal commuters who were on the train until Middleborough/
This compares to the approx. 200 who rode the 1st train last year.
Considering the not-so-great weather I'd say that they are off to a great start for the 2014 season.
So 210 for 2015's first train compares favorably to 2013, but not by a lot, and not at all vs 2014 (unless commuters were in the 310 pax counted). Maybe not great economics now that CCRTA has to pay for the whole trip (not just an extension). We also learned not to put too much faith in a good first train last year, but we should have a good read by Monday night.
Last edited by Arlington on Sat May 23, 2015 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by The ViRoCo

Hopefully we don't get a hurricane on the fourth of July weekend like last year.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

What was this spring's punch list of track, speed, and other infrastructure upgrades on the Flyer?
  by highgreen215

I'm just curious how many riders are using the Wareham Village station. I have a gut feeling that Wareham and Marion are not taking full advantage of the Flyer service.
  by GP40MC1118

Understand that 6 got on and 2 off at Wareham last night...

D
  by The ViRoCo

97 passengers aboard from Boston to Middleboro this morning. What are the final numbers into Hyannis this morning?
  by GP40MC1118

I got 88 out of Boston with 84 into Hyannis

D
  by The ViRoCo

Tonight's Count:
Hyannis: 13 on with 1 bike
Buzzards Bay: 5 on, 1 off
Wareham: 6 on, 0 off
Middleboro: 0 on, 0 off

5-10 miutes late into Middleboro
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Hey, look! It's that story again, making its annual appearance!

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/201 ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Now the state Department of Transportation is advancing a way to ease the pain: a new bridge, funded by private investors.

The agency has focused on the possibility of adding a three-lane span next to the Sagamore Bridge. It would be limited to Cape-bound traffic, and drivers would pay a toll to use it. The Sagamore, meanwhile, would become a one-way, three-lane bridge to handle traffic coming off the Cape, with no toll.

MassDOT should just take out a banner ad on the Globe's site for Cape Flyer every time they dust off this old chestnut.