• Cape Flyer

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Larry

I go every year to the Cape with my family and I always go to the Hyannis yard and look it over. For years it was just one overgrown neglected yard. Seeing the picture of the yard posted May 7 just makes me want to smile a huge smile. it is looking really good from this picture and I can't wait to go out and see it this summer for myself. I always wished the trains would come back to the Cape, this really makes it for me as this shows and tells me it is for real and they are staying. I know the Cape Flyer has done well, it should based on the traffic on the Cape but this really shows they are committed. Now if we can just get Amtrak to come out from New York and beyond the Cape will shine again.
  by Arlington

How will upgrades at Hyannis actually improve the Flyer? That is how will it produce an economic payback? Seems to me that they are doing the easy project (no NIMBYs) at a time when running speed elsewhere on the route is the bigger issue.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Arlington wrote:How will upgrades at Hyannis actually improve the Flyer? That is how will it produce an economic payback? Seems to me that they are doing the easy project (no NIMBYs) at a time when running speed elsewhere on the route is the bigger issue.
The yard was in much need of an upgrade, I do agree with you about running speeds, but gotta do small things at a time. The yard was a big one, this reconfigure will allow for better "flow" thru the yard for multiple trains
  by Arlington

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:The yard was in much need of an upgrade, I do agree with you about running speeds, but gotta do small things at a time. The yard was a big one, this reconfigure will allow for better "flow" thru the yard for multiple trains
Are multiple trains "needed"? Seems to me if you have more than one train there at any time in the next 5 years, they would still be scheduled to operate at least an hour apart (to provide a convenient schedule for passengers), allowing plenty of time for as much low-speed yard dancing as you'd ever need (and they have the labor because 5 hours of actual operations leaves plenty of time at the margins and middle of any shift)

If you're looking for gestures that customers feel, it still seems like something obviously cosmetic--landscaping, panting, pavement/platform seal/surfacing, or a bus shelter or two--would be cheaper and cause more customers to report "it was nice" and "I would do that again" and "you should too" to their friends.

Even a sincere effort to get in touch with my inner David Gunn (which I try to indulge as often as possible) doesn't produce enough of a clean ballast SOGR fetish to conclude that a terminal yard was a priority.

{Do they at least get the ability to run longer trains and keep them clear of each other? Although I'd still rather more trains rather than longer}
  by nomis

Remember the times that the dinner train wasn't able to even platform for approx 1 hour when the Cape Flyer was in town on a weekend evening ... Alleviating those delays when a non-CCCR train is in Hyannis is a good way to not alienate the CCCR clientele.
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Thank you Nomis, stepping stones as I wrote. The CapeFlyer isn't the only train in town on the weekends. Last summer, we ran the train one weekend with 9 cars and 2 locomotives (one on each end). The train was still fouling the Southern most switch to access the layover track that we use to put up for the day, and the train had to spend that Saturday on the Main track in the yard, not fun. That yard was in much need of an upgrade, more so fore switch alignments, and the future 2nd track station platform (yes, that is in the works if this project keeps for multiple summers) stepping stones
  by Backshophoss

Has the 2015 season schedule for the Cape Flyer been announced yet?
  by Arlington

Got an email today touting the later FrI departure (5:30), dedicated train, limited stops, stop at Brockton, and 8:15p arrival.

I wonder if CR customers can use it in-district?
  by highgreen215

Hope the Memorial Day weather is decent to get the Flyer off to a good start. Last year I believe we had a cold miserable Spring which affected ridership numbers. Is everything ready to go?
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

highgreen215 wrote:Hope the Memorial Day weather is decent to get the Flyer off to a good start. Last year I believe we had a cold miserable Spring which affected ridership numbers. Is everything ready to go?
weather is looking good, not the hottest Memorial Day weekend we've had, but looking a lot better than the rainy one last year! As for the Capeflyer itself, she is ready to go AFAIK. I'll ask around today for a confirmation....they better be ready to go, kickoff is this Friday evening!
  by Arlington

Bournevoted 914 to 716 in favor of joining the MBTA district (assessments to start when service to Buzzard's Bay starts). My question is, does this also pave the way for rail upgrades on the Cape (where most of Bourne is actually located)?
  by Arlington

Bourne voted 914 to 716 in favor of joining the MBTA district (CR assessments to start only when CR service to Buzzard's Bay starts). My question is, does this also pave the way for rail upgrades on the Cape (where most of Bourne is actually located)?
  by Bill Reidy

Arlington wrote:Bourne voted 914 to 716 in favor of joining the MBTA district (CR assessments to start only when CR service to Buzzard's Bay starts). My question is, does this also pave the way for rail upgrades on the Cape (where most of Bourne is actually located)?
Generally, no. The vote was made to support extension of the Middleborough/Lakeville commuter rail line down to Buzzards Bay village. Several Bourne town leaders are adamant in opposition to commuter rail extending across the canal onto the Cape.

That said, MassDOT does plan to add a passing siding on the Cape near the Bourne Bridge (site of the proposed "Canal Landing" CapeFLYER platform) and extending the commuter rail signal system down to this siding. MassDOT also plans to extend the siding near Cohasset Narrows. Purpose is to improve queuing of CapeFLYER, Cape Cod Central and Mass Coastal trains waiting for the canal bridge, reducing wait times and the length of time the bridge is down.
  by highgreen215

That is excellent news. Things are gradually moving forward.