• Bilevel shipped out - but where and why?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DogBert

Just 2 minutes ago CSX crossed hell gate bronx bound with an LIRR bilevel on the rear of the train.

Anyone know why?

by emfinite

Not sure why, but I saw it sitting in Fresh Pond on Saturday - car 4011.

by LIRR272

Car 4011 is being sent to KRC fro repairs. It was damaged approximately 5 yrs ago inside the shop. There was structural damage and there is alot of modifications that need to be done. It will take approximately one year for it to be returned to service.

by N340SG

Ah, yes. The saga of 4011. It was going to be scrapped at one time, from what I had heard. Then it was felt that it could be fixed. It had an unfortunate, rather embarassing accident inside the shop.

by DogBert

Wow. It didn't appear to be damaged from my vantage point. I only got to see one side of it though. thanks for clearing up that mystery...

by Liquidcamphor

Wasn't that the car that dropped off the raised pit track in Sheridan Shop?

by N340SG

Wasn't that the car that dropped off the raised pit track in Sheridan Shop?
That's correct.

by LIRR272

The damage to the car is internal on the east end. Alot of the damage appears underfloor.

by bingdude

4011 was sitting on the test track this morning at Kawasaki in Yonkers, with the Trackmobile behind it.

by RRChef

Did 4011 go out on it's own trucks or was it on a flat car? If it was so severely damaged wouldn't there be safety issues if it went on it's own? A year seems like an awfully long time to do repairs. Is it because Kawasaki has a backlog of work or because of the type of damage to the car?

by LIRR272

4011 went up to Yonkers on its own trucks. LIRR did some work on the car so it can move over the road. The car was supposed to be moved at restricted speed. I'm not sure why it took along time, but it will take another year for it to be put into service.

by boston774

LIRR272 wrote:Car 4011 is being sent to KRC fro repairs. It was damaged approximately 5 yrs ago inside the shop. There was structural damage and there is alot of modifications that need to be done. It will take approximately one year for it to be returned to service.
Am I reading this right?

Five years?

Wow. All I can say is...

Wow.

by LIRR272

I said 5 yrs ago because the fleet has been on the property 5 yrs. The exact date I'm not sure, but I know the car only saw two months of service.

by M1 9147

Heading into another point, besides 4011 being repaired at KRC, DM30AC #503 is awaiting fate. Now we all say it is a write off as you said Lamont, but others say differently. If that ever gets rebuilt, would that take 5 years or what? Now was the 4011 still under warranty to gets its fixup, or what?

by DutchRailnut

Warranty is not covering the damage for lirr personal dropping the car off the jackstands, that is a LIRR problem not Kawasaki's.
Btw the repair will not take 5 year but to get repair done took 5 years to get past buraucracy.