Railroad Forums 

• Baltimore

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#558725  by mrconductor55

Hey Everyone,

I am on my way out to Baltimore this week. I will be there for 2 weeks. I want to do some railfanning while I am out there. I will be sure to hit up the B&O Museum. I will get some shots of the diesels that work the commuter line. I love F40's. I live in Chicago btw. I know there is plenty of CSX action out there. I get more than enough of that here at home. Not a big CSX fan. I would like to see some industrial and or shortline action out there, anything that runs SWs and Geeps. Are there any other museums in that area?

Thanks
Frank
 #558740  by CN9634

You might find better results in a different forum as this is the "New England" forum.
 #558851  by highrail

try this one on the regions page: DelMarVa & Washington, D.C. Railfan

or NY or New Jersey
 #558971  by mrconductor55

Hey Everyone,

I am on my way out to Baltimore this week. I will be there for 2 weeks. I want to do some railfanning while I am out there. I will be sure to hit up the B&O Museum. I will get some shots of the diesels that work the commuter line. I love F40's. I live in Chicago btw. I know there is plenty of CSX action out there. I get more than enough of that here at home. Not a big CSX fan. I would like to see some industrial and or shortline action out there, anything that runs SWs and Geeps. Are there any other museums in that area?

I would like to See Marc's F7 Cab Car.

Thanks
Frank
 #559066  by mrconductor55

Thanks so far guys.

Here are some details. I know there is plenty of CSX stuff around Baltimore. I'm not big on Class 1's I see them all (except KCS and FEC) here in Chicago more than anyhing. I will be sure to hit the B&o Museum. I am a big fan of E units F units and Alcos. Maybe some industrial action. What shortlines are in the area?
 #559106  by BaltOhio

Other natives will fill in more details, but here are a few suggestions confined strictly to the Baltimore area. Washington is another kind of animal.

Basically, if you're tired of CSXT, there isn't much in Baltimore itself for you. NS enters Baltimore from the east over Amtrak's NEC line and has a yard at Bay View in East Baltimore, but any mainline trains (aside from daily locals) run at night. MARC operates on what's called the Camden Line (ex-B&O Baltimore-Washington) and the Penn Line (ex-PRR, Perryville-Baltimore-Washington). Camden Line service is confined to commuter hours; Penn Line trains operate roughly hourly during off-hours and are diesel-powered. MARC electrics (AEM-7s and HHP-8s) show up on Penn Line commuter trains.

Anyway, this is what's around, both CSX and other:

(1) St. Denis station, on the ex-B&O mainline SW of Baltimore is a favorite railfan hangout. There you can see all CSXT traffic in/out of Baltimore plus morning and afternoon MARC commuter runs. (But remember, no MARC mid-day service on this line.)

(2) Within Baltimore, a good AM spot is the parking lot at the point where Bush St. (one-way eastbound) crosses the CSXT mainline. This is about a block west of Russell St. B-W Parkway entrance to Baltimore), but you have to circle around because of the one-way street patterns. Same MARC traffic here and most CSXT freight, although you miss anything to/from Curtis Bay.
Nearby to the north is Bailey's Wye, on Stockholm St. east of the Warner St. crossing. Better for PM photos, and you have an impressive overpass for the light rail line, but parking is iffy, and impossible if there's a stadium event.

(3) A favorite PM railfan hangout is the parking lot off Monument St. just west of Pulaski Highway at Bay View in far-east Baltimore. No MARC here, but you get any CSXT trains on the Philadelphia sub plus local traffic to/from East Baltimore and Sparrows Point. This was busier when GM's Highlandtown plant was operating, but that's now dead and gone.

(4) If you have any interest in electric traction, ride sand photograph the light rail line, which offers a wide variety of operations, from in-street running to lengthy stretches on an ex-PRR mainline (to the north) and former interurban line (Baltimore & Annapolis) to the south.

(5) The nearest short line is the Maryland Midland, based at Union Bridge in Carroll County. They operate a long section of ex-Western Maryland mainline plus parts of the former PRR Frederick branch with sharp-looking GP38s. Excellent scenery, especially climbing the Blue Ridge to a CSXT connection at Highfield, MD. They run daily, but you'd need to consult the experts for a schedule.

(6) For Amtrak and MARC Penn Line trains, probably the best spot in the Baltimore area is the BWI Airport station. There's a large parking garage there, plus free shuttle buses to the airport. The light rail system has a branch to the airport (half-hourly service), so if you want to do it the cheap way, take the light rail to the airport and shuttle to the rail station.

(7) No other railroad museums in the area, but if you have any interest in trolleys, the Baltimore Streetcar Museum is one of the best anywhere. During ythe summer months they operate Saturdays and Sundays with a range of equipment running from a turn-of-the-century open car to a 1930 Peter Witt, to Baltimore's last PCC. Until recently their collection (with equipment that dates back to the 1880s) was confined entirely to Baltimore cars, but recently it has also become the home of several orphan PCCs from Philadelphia. (These are being restored and re-gauged to Baltimore's odd wide gauge, so you won't see any operating.)

OK, I'll let others chime in.
 #559403  by RockGp40

You could also try the Maryland and Delaware RR on the Eastern Shore of MD. I am a conductor there, and we run on an as needed basis, but Wednesdays and Fridays are almost sure things, especially on our northern line into Chestertown/Worton. On that line, we operate two ex-PC, CR RS3m Alcos.

The Federalsburg line runs normally three days a week or more, and they have been running the CF7 (ex-ATSF, among others) their the past couple of weeks. The other loco in use on that line is another RS3m.

If you get adventurous, you could go see the Snow Hill line, but that will be two + hours away. They operate a CF7 and a switcher (Ex Conrail Express paint). Check out the company website www.mdde.com

Brian
 #559524  by Thatguy

Frank,

I work for CSX out of Baltimore. We have 4 yards (some say 5 yards) in the Baltimore area. Lots of action in the area. St. Denis is the best spot to railfan in Baltimore. You will meet other railfans there almost 24 hours a day.

For shortlines in Baltimore, you have the Canton Railroad. They operate on the East and Northeast side of the city, serving over 30 customers 24hrs a day out of Pennmary Yard that they share with CSX. Also theres the Patapsco and Black River RR on site at the former Bethlehem Steel Mill in Sparrows Point on the East side of Baltimore. You won't be able to get near here do to the Bethlehem Police and accessibility is a real issue. Use google maps and you can see the steel mill. The Maryland Midland Railroad is a very successful shortline. They run GP-38-2's, but have a sharp paint scheme(blue with an orange stripe).
The Maryland and Delaware RR is a definite if you want to see Alco's. Awesome little railroad, but it's about 1.5-2 hours from Baltimore. Heres some links to the websites:

http://www.cantonrr.com/

http://www.mdrails.com/shortlinesarchive.html

http://www.mmidrwy.com/index2.html

Heres a great website about the Baltimore/Washington DC area. Check out his maps:

http://www.railroadsignals.us/baltimore/maps.htm
 #559690  by boatsmate

I would also suggest, if you don't mind travelling for a while (not sure of the distance), you could check out the Auto train over on the other side of DC. it is a sight worth taking in.

Capt Bill
 #559751  by gprimr1

If you go to see the Auto train terminal, you could head back via Manassass and check out Norfolk Southern.