Railroad Forums 

• Baltimore

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#559897  by mrconductor55

Thatguy wrote:Frank,

I work for CSX out of Baltimore. We have 4 yards (some say 5 yards) in the Baltimore area. Lots of action in the area. St. Denis is the best spot to railfan in Baltimore. You will meet other railfans there almost 24 hours a day.

For shortlines in Baltimore, you have the Canton Railroad. They operate on the East and Northeast side of the city, serving over 30 customers 24hrs a day out of Pennmary Yard that they share with CSX. Also theres the Patapsco and Black River RR on site at the former Bethlehem Steel Mill in Sparrows Point on the East side of Baltimore. You won't be able to get near here do to the Bethlehem Police and accessibility is a real issue. Use google maps and you can see the steel mill. The Maryland Midland Railroad is a very successful shortline. They run GP-38-2's, but have a sharp paint scheme(blue with an orange stripe).
The Maryland and Delaware RR is a definite if you want to see Alco's. Awesome little railroad, but it's about 1.5-2 hours from Baltimore. Heres some links to the websites:

http://www.cantonrr.com/

http://www.mdrails.com/shortlinesarchive.html

http://www.mmidrwy.com/index2.html

Heres a great website about the Baltimore/Washington DC area. Check out his maps:

http://www.railroadsignals.us/baltimore/maps.htm

Thanks Man,

This is what I was looking for. CSX and NS is nice, but I have that at home. I'm here in Baltimore now, so I will be sure to check some of this out.

Also what is the likelyhood of me seeing a GEEP on a commuter train. Living in Chicago, I have never seen a passenger Geep.

Finally DOes anyone know where MARC keeps the 7100
 #560356  by gprimr1

MARC runs diesels mid-day on the Penn Line and at all times on the other lines.

I was told that particular engine is kept in a CSX storage area somewhere on the Brunswick Line, possibly near Barnsville. It would probably not be visible.
 #560395  by BaltOhio

MARC's Geeps are thoroughly rebuilt, with wide noses. You can see them on both lines. Try BWI station for mid-day trains.

Virginia Railway Express, running south from Washington over CSX to Fredericksburg, VA and SW over NS to Manassas runs rebuilt GP40s of several types and a couple of ex-Amtrak F40s. Most trains are in the rush hours, but there are two or three mid-day runs. Best spot to see them (and more boring CSX) is King St. station in Alexandria, adjacent to the Metro station. All VRE (and Amtrak) trains stop there.
 #560565  by mrconductor55

Thanks guys. I am in DC right now, I saw a little CSX action yesterday near College Park. I also saw the Acela Express for the first time. The museum was great. No one told me they had an SW1. I love those little guys. I also saw an articulated steam engine for the first time. A BL2 for the first time. And I saw the GG1. Afer I left, I walked along the ROW to the backlot near the shops to get a good look at the GG1. Its so sad seeing all of that old vandalized stuff, atleast it was all saved.

I asked a guy there about the Canton Railroad, and he told me a little about it and tarted rambling on about history and economy and stuff, but he was nice and helpful. Where exactly should I go to see some of their power?

Thanks
 #560615  by BaltOhio

The Canton RR works out of CSXT's Penn Mary yard, in the Canton-Highlandtown area on Baltimore's east side. The north end of the yard and yard office is at Newkirk St. & Holabird Ave., close by the I-95 and I-895 overpasses. You can catch Canton's switching action on public property at the Holabird Ave. grade crossing, and also slightly north where the yard leads cross Newkirk St. The Canton also switches some industries immediately to the north.
 #561386  by mrconductor55

You guys have so helpful to me. I rode the Camden Line to DC today. I had no Idea how busy DC's Union Station is. There are like 6 EMD SW's around there. We have 2 in CHicago, AMTK 790 handles Amtrak stuff, and BNSF 3533 handles Metra stuff. I saw Virginia Express' Geeps and F40 in the yard. I also caught one of Marc's Geeps that hadn't been rebuilt with a wide cab. I am going to try and catch some Canton and CSX action Thursday. Tommorow I will go back to the B&O Museum.
 #562133  by Thatguy

Mrconductor,

Could you post some of your pictures from the Canton RR or anything else you have??

Thanks
 #572054  by Arrestmespi

the Marc 7100 is stored at the Riverside Loco Shops, it is inaccessible as it is on CSXT Property, you can just barely catch a glimpse of it heading southbound on I-95 just after the tunnel(its on your right)