• Atlantic Avenue Brooklyn Terminal

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by DogBert

There was a different thread here (that I couldn't find) stating the original plan was to open a new west portal into the reconfigured yard, and the yard was suppose to be 8 or 10 tracks - but this was cut back over the years and there would be no west portal. I'm assuming at the moment that this was just a rumor, and the west portal is indeed being built (since that's what it looks like is going on... I'm hoping someone knows for sure).
  by NIMBYkiller

Dogbert, fair enough about the chances of it actually happening. I just want to know whether it's even physically possible. I guess the questions I should be asking are

1. How much distance is there between the easternmost portal and the first major obstacle (I'm assuming the foundation of the Barclays Center)?
2. How deep is that first obstacle?
3. How deep is the subway complex
4. How much distance between the 1st obstacle and the 1st subway tunnel (or deepest subway tunnel)
5. Are those acceptable grades

Anyone know where one could find info on depths for the Barclays Center and the subway tunnels?
  by DogBert

I don't think there's a map out there (at least online) showing how deep the station is - though it was all built cut and cover so it can't be that bad. Probably simplest way to find out is to go and draw a sketch of the station. Shouldn't be hard to figure out how far down the plaforms are via estimating from stairs to the street, mezzanine and platform heights (subway car height can give you an idea on the height of platforms).

It's two long blocks from the eastern portal, so there's probably room for a ramp, no idea how steep the grade would be.

If there's a west portal, the yard space might still be usable (assuming the ramp can dip low enough for a lead to cross above it at that point), if not, i imagine a ramp would = no yard at all.

Not a whole lot of space down there, but certainly more complex tunnels have been made (6th ave IND comes to mind, wrapping under & around the Path tubes).
  by hrfcarl

Did not want to start a new thread:

For the past few weeks I have noticed openings in the wall just east of Atlantic Terminal on the yard side (south?), is this a LIRR project (access to yard) or some other construction project?
  by workextra

Hrfcarl,
The new openings your seeing are most likely the work for VD yard. I haven't been down there and a long time but I recall seeing them drilling and marking the wall sections to come down.

As for the tunnel just west of Nostrand. That's a siding for the armory.

The Manhattan beach branch came off the Bar Ridge branch. I think there is a door some something in that opening where the siding was. Maybe someone who had been down there recently can confirm.
  by DogBert

I took another look at this construction site from the street you can clearly see they are progressing on building a new west end connection to VD. Looks to be one trackway so far. There's a large hole in the side of the existing tunnel wall now.
  by geico

Looks like a m7 jumped the rails at Atlantic Terminal Track 6. 20 minor injuries reported so far.
  by Jeff Smith

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/04/long-isl ... yn-ny.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thirty-seven people were reported injured after a Long Island Rail Road train derailed on Wednesday morning at the Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn, New York.
The New York City Fire Department said all injuries reported are non-life threatening.

Pictures on Twitter showed the train was tipped slightly to the side.
https://twitter.com/Aaron_D_Neufeld/sta ... wsrc%5Etfw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by ThreeIfByAir

NYTimes says that the train hit the bumper blocks. Which is going to make a lot of people ask a lot of questions, given that's what happened at Hoboken too.

Of course (perish the thought) the Times could be wrong...
  by pumpers

"10-15 mph" when it hit being reported in the NY Daily news.

What was the final speed at impact they decided on at Hoboken?

JS
  by Jeff Smith

http://6abc.com/news/over-100-suffer-mi ... -accident-(photos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)/1685626/
Fire officials at the scene Wednesday said metal that appeared to be from a rail pierced the bottom of the train and the wheels lifted up. They said the crash also damaged a work area beyond the tracks.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said the train was moving very slowly. He said it "wasn't really a derailment."

Eleven of the injured were taken to hospitals. Officials at the scene estimated that 600 to 700 people were on the train.
  by litz

"Moving very slowly" ... it was obviously moving fast enough to overcome the bumpers ... what's the rating on what a bumper can actually withstand?

Secondarily, who wants to take a bet on how long it takes for a FRA Emergency Order requiring a full stop prior to entering any passenger station, following by a mandatory "walking" speed approach?

Hoboken followed by this one is going to tweak their interest something fierce ...