• Atlantic Avenue Brooklyn Terminal

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by LIengineerBob

Terrapin Station wrote:
I disagree. Since the terminal has been refurbished in the last couple years, it looks completely different and much nicer, as you can see in my photo in this thread. It no longer looks like "any underground terminal", it now looks pretty nice. It lost that "no one cares" look.[/quote]

Compared to what it used to look like, it is definatly a vast improvement. It is still a cramped, hot or cold(depending on the weather) station....spend any amount of time in the middle of winter or hot days of the summer down there and you will see. I work there on a daily basis and seen the transformation take place. Definatly an improvement visually only. To this day they cannot get the water to stop leaking in whenever it rains, even AFTER they built the new mall complex above it. Take a walk down to the east end of the platforms, and you will see that all that glitters on the west end quickly fades to dark, dusty, and dirty...just like it always was.

by BMT

Hey Brian....why don't you put a watermark on your photos, or otherwise embed a copyright mark with your name somewhere in the photo? That'll take care of the photo-use issue.

by Fla East Coast Chris

Hi,
Bob you said a mouth full!!!!
And I do not mean dust, dirt or whatever!!!!
Being the block operator in the old BROOK Tower from January 1st until October 31 st you endured Freezing cold, water dripping during rain, intense heat in the summer. Even when they pulled the power on 3 station one Saturday in a February afternoon that tower got freezing cold. OHHH Yes the heat operated on 3rd rail power from 3 station!!!! That day a feeder cable shorted and began arching!!!!
That day and into the night NO HEAT AT ALL!!! Station track 3 was shut down and no heat in Brook Tower!!! That was a cold day with a toaster over trying to keep warm... Does the movement beaureau care about you??? NAAAAHHH They just want the train in on time!!!!!!!

by Fla East Coast Chris

Oh I am sorry I didn't mention this that it was back in 1996!!!
Before going to the tinderbox of PD Tower which everybody loved!!!!
Me Again!!!!!

by BMT

Fla East Coast Chris...since you worked at old BROOK tower....did you ever see any old documents or model boards while working there that indicated BROOK tower had control over the IRT Interlocking of Atlantic Avenue?

Thanks....

by Fla East Coast Chris

HI BMT..
No The only old stuff I saw was the old Meat sidings on the old Model Board in BROOK Tower. From where track 1 was on the model board there were other tracks curving on the board without model board lights. On the machine there were many levers taken out . Probably to the switches that served those tracks.
Chris
  by Amtrak7

Due to the derailment of a non passenger train in Atlantic Terminal, service between Jamaica and Brooklyn is suspended. NYC Transit is honoring LIRR fares between Atlantic Terminal and Jamaica, as well as Atlantic Terminal and Penn Station. This affects all branches except the Port Washington Branch.
Service has been suspended since 15:29. Anyone know any details?
  by Amtrak7

Update: half hourly service restored w/track changes. (16:03)
  by NIMBYkiller

So with all the development going on, I understand a chunk of VD yard has been/will be lost, no? I'm curious to know if there is/will be space still for 2 tracks leading into a tunnel passing beneath FBA with the intention of running into Manhattan? I'm not here to discuss the viability or [near zero] likelihood of a Manhattan extension of the Atlantic Av branch, just whether or not it will be physically possible after all the development
  by Backshophoss

At one time that was a connection to the subway system,now abandoned. There's no way to extend west to NY Penn.
As to the yard,requires a "switchback" move to enter the 2 remaining tracks,rendered useless by that move. :( :(
  by NIMBYkiller

I understand there used to be a connection to the IRT. I'm curious if there is any space at VD yard (whether or not it means tearing out the entire yard to make this possible) to put in a switch off the Atlantic and an approach into a tunnel that can get deep enough to dive under everything that's at that complex. Is the distance too short, making the dive to steep? Is there space for it even?
  by Publius Plunkett

When was the original VD Yard built and in service? I find the Atlantic Branch fascinating because of its history. Connections to Manhattan Beach and the Rockways. Does anyone have a map of the ROW to Manhattan Beach? What is on the old ROW now? Why did the LIRR abandon it?
  by Liquidcamphor

I changed the title to inc the history questions about the branch from forum members. I myself am interested with the history of the atlantic br. and hope forum members continue this discussion.
  by SwingMan

I'm not familiar with much down there, but I do know there is what appears to be a connection to the current L train (I believe) about half a mile or so east of Van Interlocking.