• Any comments on Trains Magazine LIRR article?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by bellstbarn

The website trainsmag.com shows a front cover for the February, 2006, issue with M-7's. My copy has not yet arrived. Any comments from those who have seen the story?

by LIRRNOVA55

I see theres also an article on locomotive 39 in it.

by 9C1LT1

Hi Everyone,

My copy of the February 2006 Trains Magazine arrived today. Lots of Long Island news in this issue! The LIRR article has a lot of information regarding past and present operations. There is even a paragraph pertaining to DE/M 30 reliability. It discusses all aspects from the busy Penn Station to “the quiet east end”. A system map is included as well. There is also an article in the article about NYA operations.

Thanks LIRRNOVA for the heads up about the engine #39 article (page 68). The article states that they hope to have “#39 in steam by the end of 2006”. I don’t know what will be steaming more, the locomotive or my camera :wink:

Happy New Year Everyone!

-Barry

by Lirr168

Did anyone else here contribute to the article at all? If you remember, a while back the author posted on here looking for comments, and I helped him out with some observations that he says he used in the article. I haven't seen it yet, though, apparently the publisher is too swamped to get their complimentary copies out, and I'll be darned if I'm gonna pay for it!

by johnpbarlow

I thought the article was interesting and informative (although, having married an LIer, I dispute that they're all "cranky!"). Question I have, based on years of driving between New England and LI and between NJ and LI, is why have there been no proposals to implement single seat rides on MTA/MN between Jamaica and the Bronx/Westchester/Southern CT or on MTA/NJT between Jamaica and New Jersey? The trips across the Throgs Neck/Whitestone bridges and the Belt Parkway/Verrazano Bridge can be dreadful at times! I know neither of these proposals could happen without major capital investment such as a track connection from LIRR main to Hell Gate/NY Connecting and multi-mode power. But wouldn't these investments cost << the $6+B estimated for East Side access?

by Dave Keller

Yeah . . . . .

We're pretty much cranky, irritated and usually have an attitude. (Hey! Who YOU lookin' at???)

And that's only me speaking from experience: my own attitude and my contact with other Lon Gilanders over a period of 36 years.

All that noise, congestion, filth and bad manners in stores and on the roads . . . . has to eventually have SOME sort of effect on you.

Hmmmm . . . . .cranky, irritated, with an attitude: come to think about it . . .not necessarily a BAD thing! :wink:

Dave
(Nowgetthehellouddahere!) :-D

by LongIslandRRTom

JohnPBarlow:

I feel your pain. I have work obligations as well as family and friends spread throughout the tri-state area, and there is no way for me to use mass rail transit to get where I want to go in a timely manner.

My gripes about the rail commuting systems:

- No direct way to get to/from anywhere west of the Hudson to LI/Westchester/CT.

- No way to get to/from Staten Island to ANYWHERE! :P (And people wonder why SI is stagnant economy- and population-wise compared to the rest of NYC.)

- No direct way of getting to Westchester/CT to/from LI.

Of all of the major cities in the world, NYC is the only one with 6 separate, non-interoperable commuter rail systems (7 if you want to count Amtrak, and I'm not sure if the new Airtrain counts as another).. It's a shame.

by NIMBYkiller

Well, there are no direct rail services. There are buses and ferries...but, yeah...

by RetiredLIRRConductor

Cranky?? Cranky? Thats putting it mildly. a few years ago when Billy Graham was speaking on Long Island, he said "These People have problems" He was refering to how hectic it was here as opposed to other places. I know when I go on vacation to another city,it takes me awhile to slow down to the slower pace of other places. Even In Chicago, people will pass ya on the street and say good morning. If that happened in NY, they would get the nets out! :wink:

by Paul

We're pretty much cranky, irritated and usually have an attitude. (Hey! Who YOU lookin' at???)
Just look at my avatar and personal quote.

Hey Pal- You don't like the way I F@#K'n drive then stay the F@#K off the F@#K'n side walk you F@#K'n F@#K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

NOW, THATS NEW YORK! :-D

*sory Otto. I couldnt resist.
  by fender52

I did receive my copy yesterday. What it did seem like that there was very little interface with any LIRR employees or management for the article other than a few quotes by Jim Dermody.

There were numerous quotes from an ex-employee and some others, probably from the other boards.

by LongIslandRRTom

Paul wrote:
Just look at my avatar and personal quote.

Hey Pal- You don't like the way I F@#K'n drive then stay the F@#K off the F@#K'n side walk you F@#K'n F@#K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*

NOW, THATS NEW YORK! :-D

*sory Otto. I couldnt resist.
Funny, I thought that was Mr. Swearengine riding the NYC subway! :-D :-D :-D (Courtesy of AMoreira81 in this thread http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11482)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ ... 58ff15.jpg

by bellstbarn

On page 46 of the article, the author mentions "the 262,000 who ride it each weekday." Presuming that most of the riders go round-trip daily, I suspect it means about 131,000 riders one direction and almost the same 131,000 back home. A Newsday article on February 16, 2005, gives 2004 ridership 79.9 million. Of these, 48.1 million purchased monthly or weekly tickets, and 31.8 million bought other tickets: full fare, family, senior, ten-trip, etc. Somehow, these figures seem unrealistically high to me, as perhaps 30 years ago I recall a figure of 85,000 carried to-and-fro on a weekday. I wonder whether a change at Jamaica counts as two rides, or there is some other presumption in the counting. Does anyone else share my hesitation? Thanks.

by Dave Keller

Thus farm, I've been to several Border's bookstores and my "local" hobby shop and all I see on the stands is the January issue of TRAINS.

Do you folks with the February issues have subscriptions? I know that subscribers always get their magazines in advance of the issues hitting the newsstands.

Thanx!

Dave

by LIRRNOVA55

Usually takes about 2 weeks more for borders to get them in.