• Any comments on Trains Magazine LIRR article?

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by 9C1LT1

Hi Dave,

I have a subscription to TRAINS magazine. Like LIRRNOVA said, probably another few weeks, mid January is a good bet.

-Barry

by BMT

I'm curious to find out who wrote the piece. Joe Greenstein usually covers NYC-area railroading almost exclusively for Railroad, Railpace and Trains magazines.

by Lirr168

BMT wrote:I'm curious to find out who wrote the piece. Joe Greenstein usually covers NYC-area railroading almost exclusively for Railroad, Railpace and Trains magazines.
It was indeed Joe Greenstein who wrote this article.

by scopelliti

Just picked up the issue at my local magazine store, so it should be at yours.

by Lupo 10

The article was very well written and is a major accomplishment for Joe Greenstein. Joe is moving up in the world of journalism and this is a huge boost to the resume. Good job. Its 12 pages and has I believe 14 photos including 3 sidebar sections. Lots to read. It may be a TRAINS first. Long Island is mentioned in 3 different articles. The feature article, the engine 39 article and a brief mention in the Alco automobile article. For once BNSF and UP took a back seat in this issue.

by Lirr168

Just got my copy and read the article - I think everything Mr. Greenstein wrote was superb; he really captured the love/hate relationship so many of us have with the LIRR.

by BMT

All of the rail magazines that Joe has written for over the years I have kept. Whether it is LIRR, NYCTA, MNRR, or the shortlines, he has a style with the camera that alot of photographers just don't have. And his coverage is almost always pretty thorough.

Will be at the Freeport Model RR show this weekend, so likely I'll get a copy there. If there's none available, I'll most likely drop in on Willis Hobbies, which is always well-stocked.

by B&ABL256

LIRRNOVA55 wrote:Usually takes about 2 weeks more for borders to get them in.
Paul out of respect for Borders they ussally get them in early but it takes them a while to get it out on the stands. I had to support the company I worked for, for 3 years. You should see the pile of magizines that are on the table every month. I allways use to grab the railroad magizines from the pile before they went on sale. SO I can speak for Bohemia and Riverhead that they are there in the back. Now the Lake Grove and I say Lake Grove because the store is in Lake Grove and the address says Lake Grove not Stony Brook I can speak for them because they are mean.
olaf

by Lirr168

I finally got around to reading the rest of the issue, and one article that really caught my eye was about BNSF's purchase of Green Goat locomotives; apparently several states are purchasing these locomotives for railroads in an attempt to decrease emissions from diesel locomotives. If this program is good enough for California and Texas, why not New York? The Green Goats could surely do the job of the MP15 and/or Sw1001 fleet with significantly less harm to the environment, and I am sure LIRR and NY&A engineers alike would find them far better to work on the MP's or SW's. Seems like a win-win situation to me...

by alcoAL

I get some type of email update from TRAINS & they said it hits newstands on 1/10. I'd assume it'll be available before then though.

by scopelliti

Missed my note? I picked up a copy at my local news stand on Jan 2. Guess it is just an issue of when the particular store puts the latest on sale.

by mc367

I haven't read it yet, but nice addition of the operating towers on the map of the L.I.R.R. Really enjoyed the photography as well.

-Justin

by LIRailfan79

I got my issue tonight (Jan 9th) at the Borders in Commack.

by hsr_fan

I just received this issue on Friday. So, is LIRR really considering ending the Montauk service? That would be a shame. What is the ridership like? Are there really a few people who make the commute from Montauk to NYP daily? Or is it strictly weekend and leisure travelers?