Railroad Forums 

• Another brilliant plan...

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#51529  by Matthew Mitchell

Lucius Kwok wrote:Thanks for the info about the funding formula. I did not know about that. However, transit is still perceived by many to be an urban issue, so it is hard to convince many outside of the cities, and even some suburbanites, to support it.
That's not quite accurate, and based on a somewhat stereotyped view of the rural areas. The elderly have a lot of clout, especially in the rural areas, and they're pretty noisy when one of their benefits is cut.
In the past decade, statewide transit funding has not increased to match inflation.
Indeed. It's stayed level. And note that SEPTA does get dedicated funding from the Commonwealth, and has for about a decade. The problem is in part that one of the main components, a utility tax, yielded much less revenue as the result of utility deregulation.
<snip>
But what almost always happens is that there is a general outcry from the masses, condemning both SEPTA and the state, just like what's been posted here and on other web sites. There's a flurry of news items about SEPTA, and the state legislature passes an emergency measure to make up the budget shortfall. So far, everything has gone according to script.
Yep. And a bailout and more years of limping along is indeed the most likely outcome here.

#51534  by Nasadowsk

Right now, it's really debateable if the LIRR will get enough to avoid shutting at least part of the stuff they want to close. More specifically, the Montauk line from LIC to Jamacia is dead, period (it's worthless excess now anyway), Ronkonkoma to Greenport is probbably dead - 200 passengers a day does not justify the millions thrown at it. Oyster Bay and West Hempstead are vulnerable - the OB line is way too slow and way to expensive to run, the WH line is cheap, but nobody rides it because it makes no sense.

Anyway, for some reason, Septa's trolley lines aren't cheaper than their bus lines to run (at least as of 2002's data), and their trolleybus lines are a lot more expensive. This is per pax mile. BTW, Septa's commuter rail ops aren't terribly much more expensive per pax mile than the LIRR's. The LIRR, however, had a STRONG upward trend since the introduction of the new DE/DM cars, which replaced the old GP-38-2s, and are considerably less efficient to operate. I'm suspecting with the M-7's, this trend will go up even more, as the M-7s are power hogs.

#51738  by RDGAndrew

I think even the most rural of Pa. lawmakers must realize the economic impact that SEPTA's latest proposal would have - many of the service jobs in the Plymouth Meeting, K of P, Horsham, Oxford Valley, Franklin Mills, and Gallery areas, to name a few, would be severely understaffed if SEPTA went to a weekday-only schedule. And the impact of fewer staff would be fewer sales, ergo, less sales tax revenue flowing to state coffers. So it's not even just a city issue. Here in eastern PA, it would be easy for shoppers who were fed up with chronically understaffed stores due to lack of weekend transportation for workers to do their shopping in Delaware or NJ instead.

On the flip side, I have to agree with JeffK - it really is hard to fight for an agency that seems so unresponsive and institutionally lethargic. As draconian as Amtrak's woes have been in recent years, at least the threat of disaster forced some much-needed sanity and financial clarity on that organization in the form of David Gunn. What's needed is something similar for SEPTA, be it in the form of a state takeover or some other large string attached to any permanent funding that comes from Harrisburg.

#51744  by PARailWiz

I agree entirely with the last statement. Along with the funding it needs, standards such as rides being on-time, getting important transit projects done in a reasonable time, simplifying the overly complex fare set-up, etc need to be applied. The punishment can be a management overhaul or something like that. This should ease the reservations some of the legislators might have that SEPTA will just waste the money.

#51745  by Lucius Kwok

Again, I will say that SEPTA's latest cutback plan is a "scare tactic" and a bluff to get the state legislature to provide additional funding, above what is allocated in the statewide transit funding formula. I am sure that they know the economic impact of this plan.

This may actually be the most effective way to get attention in Harrisburg and get the funding they need.

Wasn't David Gunn the GM of SEPTA back in the early 1980's? Around the time of the RRD strike?

#51786  by RDGAndrew

Again, I will say that SEPTA's latest cutback plan is a "scare tactic" and a bluff
No, really! Pat Deon was on TV and he said this time we're serious, or something like that.

All cynical kidding aside, here's what SEPTA needs to do to restore credibility with lawmakers and us, its patrons:

1. Serious about change? Get specific, and hold yourself to it. Establish a scorecard of specific metrics so all stakeholders can see exactly what standards the agency is holding itself to. On-time performance would be high on the list, as would safety, and other more subtle things like cleanliness of vehicles and stations. But follow-through is key. This isn't easy: I know of other organizations where every few years there's a plan to make big changes, but inertia sets in and it's so easy just to keep on doing it the old way... real change is hard.

2. Market, market, market. This includes things like billboards on I-95 touting either a) positive scorecard results in sound bites such as mentioned above or b) a more abstract but definitely hip and attractive image, appealing to a wide demographic, and perhaps touting environmental awareness along with convenience. Think MTV's "Real World." Think Target. The key would be brand identity and redefining what SEPTA looks and "feels" like. Marketing would ideally also reach wider, to include working closely with the city to attract and retain business and residential development in the city itself. Clearly the brass aren't falling over themselves to run Silverliners to Tamaqua, so concentrate on the core by helping to foster an expanded ridership base. Not only that, SEPTA can show the legislature that it plays a role in strengthening the city, thus combating the negative stereotype of Philly that a legislator from Perry County might have. The RiverLINE doesn't have a monopoly on the transit-as-tool-of-economic-development model!

3. Lose the attytude. Not all SEPTA employees are surly or rude - many are pleasant and helpful, yet the overall impression you get is a defensive "take it or leave it." Given the choice, many are leaving it. For instance: In another post, someone brought up the subject of duplicate R- numbering on the RRD -- so why can't SEPTA go the extra mile and call out at least major stops the train will be making, before it leaves the platform in Center City? Fare reform and user-friendliness of the system itself are also major opportunities for improvement.

4. At least try to convince us you have a long-term plan. One of the things I admire about David Gunn is that he lays out specific, achievable goals and tells Congress and the public how Amtrak will get there, while being realistic about obstacles. What SEPTA needs is someone who really exudes nuts-and-bolts knowledge of how a bus route works best, how to squeeze the most revenue miles out of a subway car for the least cost, how to (not) deadhead a train from Frazer to Trenton (does that still happen every day?). They also need to articulate how the agency will move forward for the future. When nobody can seem to stop a train with a blazing traction motor from going into a tunnel, or remember to alert the city that Route 15 startup will necessitate a major traffic re-routing until practically the morning it's supposed to happen, the overall image is that you're making this up as you go along. And when long-term plans do come up, they are so far from being useful, practical, or cost-effective (SVM) that they seem like a farce.

So there's my two cents. And yes, David Gunn was at the helm in the early 80's - he's the one who ended service beyond the electrified zone, IIRC, but as bad as that is, the traffic and transit climate was different in 1982 and in retrospect, it seems like he did what he had to do. He's also been critical of SEPTA's MetroRail plan for the Schuylkill Valley, at least in its separate ROW / "A Streetcar Named Wyomissing" phase.

#51797  by jfrey40535

Firstly, we need Rendell to finish his promise of auditing SEPTA's books to determine where the money is going. Is it all going to transit operations & projects? How much waste is there? Where can things be trimmed?
We don't have those answers yet because the Rendell Administration forgot about SEPTA until the next crisis rolled around.

Hopefully the state will be smart and step in and actually analyze SEPTA's spending before giving Faye-Less a blank check, which the DONT deserve.

Did we really need to make Elkins Park a high-level platform when they have no money?
Did we need those "smart signs" at 30th Street MFL station (I have yet to see them display something useful)?

The next 2 months should be interesting.

#51810  by Matthew Mitchell

jfrey40535 wrote:Firstly, we need Rendell to finish his promise of auditing SEPTA's books to determine where the money is going. Is it all going to transit operations & projects? How much waste is there? Where can things be trimmed?
If you're talking about the regular management audit, it is underway, and should be finished soon (though it's been "soon" for a coupla months now). I've heard that a first draft has been given to SEPTA for its comments. However, I'm not confident that this audit is going to "determine where the money is going." The budget for the audit is small (less than $200K) and SEPTA is a target-rich environment. Because of the budget, the scope of the audit is limited, and stuff like the Schuylkill Valley fiasco isn't going to be investigated. Furthermore, the consultants doing the study are paid and selected by SEPTA, not by the Auditor General or another outsider.
We don't have those answers yet because the Rendell Administration forgot about SEPTA until the next crisis rolled around.
And now it's Eagles' season.
Hopefully the state will be smart and step in and actually analyze SEPTA's spending before giving Faye-Less a blank check, which they DON'T deserve.

Did we really need to make Elkins Park a high-level platform when they have no money?
You're making the common confusion between the operating budget and the capital budget (and the less common confusion between Elkins Park and Melrose Park).

The replacement of the burned-down Melrose Park station was paid for out of the capital budget, which has nothing to do with SEPTA's current crisis other than the fact that SEPTA still doesn't have a way to prioritize and implement small capital projects that would have a positive impact on operating budget costs or revenues.

If you're asking if there are better things to spend money on than full-length high platforms at Melrose, yes.
Did we need those "smart signs" at 30th Street MFL station (I have yet to see them display something useful)?
Those are also paid for in the capital budget rather than the operating budget, and there may be ADA-related reasons for the system, or it may be the case that it made more sense to get the hardware installed while other work was being done, and then finish the job later (like the underpass quickly installed at Fort Washington while the Sandy Run bridge was being rebuilt.
The next 2 months should be interesting.
I think you mean, the period between the election and the end of the legislative session should be interesting. I wouldn't expect much at all to happen before the election.

#51837  by Bill R.

RDGAndrew wrote:
it really is hard to fight for an agency that seems so unresponsive and institutionally lethargic.
Yes it is. As Matt Mitchell has stated on occasion, the culture of the institution has to change. SEPTA never bothers to take care of the little things, so public support for the big things is hard to come by.

We can argue about funding, waste and too much or too little service. The fact is that SEPTA seems more out of control now than at any point since the Lou Gould - Bill Stead affair. Leadership comes from the top and Faye Moore has failed (miserably) to provide it.

Beyond the obvious deterioration of adherence to service standards during her tenure, we should consider her comments during an interview on WHYY's Radio Times. Simplified, the tone of her message was this: It's not my fault, there is nothing I can do, and Harrisburg should send money to make it go away. It was one of the most startling abdications of responsibility from a leader in the Delaware Valley (and, remember, we are dealing with a lot of corrupt government entities here) that I've had the misfortune to hear.

Faye Moore must go. She may have been a good treasurer (I don't know), but (IMHO) she has risen to the level of her incompetence as defined by the Peter Principle.

Now in case someone out there wants to accuse me of being racist or sexist, let me say this: As a long time transit advocate, I had the opportunity to deal with Shirley DeLibero during her tenure @ NJ Transit. While I didn't always see eye to eye with her, I can tell you that she at least knows what it takes to run a transit operation on a day to day basis. And she was fairly effective at using influence to get what she needed.
So being black and female is no obstacle to running a transit system as I see it.

Faye Moore shows me none of this ability. If she were white and male, her management ability would be just as poor.

Let's hope that somebody soon shows her the door, and that she doesn't let it hit her in the a__ on the way out.

#51879  by Irish Chieftain

it really is hard to fight for an agency that seems so unresponsive and institutionally lethargic
An agency, or a governing body three hours west of its operational range upon which it relies for funding?

Any agency is only as good as its highest-up officers, and also as good as the funding it gets. Agencies like SEPTA have to meet what the public wants—and if that is not told to all parties concerned, then the lethargy will continue because it will merely seem like a convenient reaction to perceived apathy.

#51919  by Lucius Kwok

I would have to agree that at the current level of funding, SEPTA can't do everything that is expected of them. But I would have to also agree that great leadership can make a difference. For example, the Center City Commuter Tunnel would never have been built if it weren't for Mayor Frank Rizzo. I know there are many in the city who didn't like him, but you have to give him credit for that.

I would also point out that in contrast to states such as New Jersey or Massachusetts, Pennsylvania is overwhelmingly Republican, even in the culturally liberal suburbs of Philadelphia. These are people ideologically opposed to taxes and government spending. Combine that with a Republican-controlled House of Representatives in Washington, and even the most charismatic leader at SEPTA would have an uphill battle to wage for funding.

#51992  by jfrey40535

I don't exactly know the difference between the operating budget and the capital budget. I know what they are, but what is the difference in how the funding is allocated? What pays for capital projects? Where does that money come from. As far as I'm concerned, its all the same pot.

If the capital budget is the same one that put those million dollar art sculptures atop Frankford Terminal, then there is definitely abuse going on. Regardless of what budget paid for that, that money could have gone to improved service. How do metal art sculptures in Frankford improve transit quality? If they wanted to make the place better looking, they should have planted trees and flowers to help erase the ghetto look.

Not to mention, the $65+ million that was spent for the never-to-run Rt 15 trolley could have erased this year's budget defecit. I hate to say that, but the thing is never going to run.

#52003  by Matthew Mitchell

jfrey40535 wrote:I don't exactly know the difference between the operating budget and the capital budget. I know what they are, but what is the difference in how the funding is allocated? What pays for capital projects? Where does that money come from. As far as I'm concerned, its all the same pot.
Nope. It's definitely two distinct pots, and it's important to understand the difference. The operating budget pays for running the buses and trains and trolleys (e.g. diesel fuel, conductors' wages, Amtrak trackage rights, staffing cashier booths, police ...), and for routine maintenance of vehicles, tracks, and stations (cleaning, snow removal, painting, ...).

The capital budget pays for one-time expenses like buying trains, building stations, and rebuilding the El. The best way to understand is to view a copy of the capital budget on http://www.septa.org and see the kind of stuff in it.

Now there's something of a gray area containing stuff like heavy overhaul of vehicles, lease payments, and operating expenses related to a capital project (like running extra buses while a major project shuts down a rail line). Those expenses may be shifted from one budget to another, depending on which has more funding problems. This is an old practice, and one that SEPTA has by necessity been good at--the treasurer's department, where Faye Moore worked before being named GM, is one of the few parts of SEPTA that functions pretty well.(^)

Now, the two biggest sources of funds for the operating budget are the farebox and the state. The counties also contribute a share, and the feds contribute a small and decreasing share. You can look up the exact numbers in the budget--they're quite easy to find.

For the capital budget, the largest source of funds is the federal government, with the state paying the next largest share, and the counties the least. Fare revenue goes entirely to the operating budget and not to the capital budget(*). The exact breakdown depends on the particular expense and the particular federal program funding it, but the typical split is 80% federal, 16.7% state, and 3.3% local.(#)
If the capital budget is the same one that put those million dollar art sculptures atop Frankford Terminal, then there is definitely abuse going on. Regardless of what budget paid for that, that money could have gone to improved service. How do metal art sculptures in Frankford improve transit quality? If they wanted to make the place better looking, they should have planted trees and flowers to help erase the ghetto look.
I'm not sure on this, but I presume there was a city quota mandating the art spending, as there is on other major construction.
Not to mention, the $65+ million that was spent for the never-to-run Rt 15 trolley could have erased this year's budget deficit. I hate to say that, but the thing is never going to run.
Nope. The 15 infrastructure is definitely a capital expense, and the deficit is in the operating budget. Raiding capital funds to pay an operating deficit, especially a structural deficit, is bad public policy, and except in certain circumstances (like part of papering over last year's deficit) is gonna get you in trouble.

^--I'll tactfully reserve comment on how much of that translated into effectiveness as General Manager.

*--with the exception of the bit of the operating budget that gets paid as facilities rent to the City of Philadelphia--the City plows that into the capital budget as part of their share of matching funds.

#--assuming this split would apply despite clearly stated DOT policy that the feds would pay no more than 60% of the cost of a New Starts project is what caused FTA to reject SEPTA's Schuylkill Valley Metro plan.

#52030  by jfrey40535

Regardless of how the money it divided up, it still comes out of our pockets as taxpayers since our taxes subsidize operations as well as fund capital projects. And we pay taxes on it regardless if we use the system or not.

Its crazy that we spend any money at all for art sculptures yet when you get on the El after passing through the Frankford Art Complex:
Almost every window on the El is etched up
The seats look like a breeding ground for the next bacterial pandemic
The floors are covered in soda
The cars smell like fried chicken
Outside of peak hours the trains run every 10-15 minutes, with trains showing up packed with nowhere to sit
The stations smell like a bathroom at a seedy bar
The existance of transit police on non terrorist threat days are more legend than practice.

Yet: Every time I visit 1234 there are plenty of people in suits walking around the halls talking about the Eagles
The bathrooms look like something out of a casino at Atlantic City

There is some serious lack of effort in making the system attractive for anyone. I pay nothing to ride them and I even aviod them like the plague. What do they think $2.50 a ride is going to do?

If nothing else, if the state and feds are handing out money for captial projects, they should at least be able to have some say in what that money is being spent on.
 #52103  by Mdlbigcat

Quite frankly, if I was a state legislator [especially from Philly] I would demand more accountablity from Management. To start, I would DEMAND the resignation of Faye Moore,, and the disbandment of the SEPTA board, and institute something else. Maybe an elected board [like it is often done in school districts] might be a solution. This would make SEPTA more accountable to the riders and taxpayers. Now in PA unfortunately, politics and corruption tend to go hand in hand, but it it worth a try, since this bull s#%t has reached the cliff, and really I hope that it will go over, so we can start over.

This constant crap from SEPTA is one of many reasons I left the City [along with other Quality of Life Issues], and is one of many reasons I would love to leave the area. But since that is impossible, I have to contend with a consolation prize, living in NJ.