• Animated ads in Red Line tunnels

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Robert Paniagua

Now, we got both South Station Tunnel ads up and running, on Monday afternoon, Apr 11 when the "Royal Caribbean" ad was running.

by CRail

The harvard square ones were still off this morning

by Robert Paniagua

Now, the South Station Tunnel Ads have been truned off as of Monday the 2nd, I guess their contract must have expired at 12:00 AM on May 1, since I last saw them on and running on Friday, 4/29.

by CRail

The one after harvard was never turned back on. the ad is still the same too, (you can see it blury if you pay attention).

by Robert Paniagua

When I rode in this morning on the northbound South Station Tunnel, I looked hard at the turned off ad and saw that it had different scenes in it, and it was the "Royal Caribbean" ad this time, I didn't see any red colour in the filmstrip area, so I knew that it wasn't gonna be Target.

I'll take a look at the South Station Southbound Tunnel this afternoon and see if they swapped that ad too.

by Robert Paniagua

I took a look at the Southbound South Station Tunnel Ad, and I saw it got changed from it's Royal Caribbean signage too, so maybe it's something new then that I could see this evening on the way home from work...

And guess what I saw this morning folks, the NEW ad in the Northbound South Station Tunnel, featurin the big "Hummer" truck. All black and white, and really looked awesome :-)

by octr202

The Harvard Ad was back on this morning, with the Hummer H3 ad. Now, and I even own a truck myself (albeit more reasonably sized), but did someone actually tell the folks at Hummer where their ad was going? Cambridge? That had me laughing this morning...

by Robert Paniagua

The Southbound South Station Ad is also Hummer H3 as well, so looks like Hummer is the main and only sponsor for the Red Line tunnels.....
  by Robert Paniagua

Latest update in the Northbound South Station Tunnel Ad:

As I was seeing the Hummer H3 ad roll on, I paid hard attention to it, and saw that some of the panel's backlits weren't working, especially towards the end, so the ad kinda was messed up after a few of those panels didn't lit up. However, the Southbound SS Tunnel's ad, all panels were lit.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

how many total ads are in the red line?

by Robert Paniagua

Just four for now, both directions at the South Station tunnels, and the approaches south of Harvard tunnels, in both directions. However, In the "Next Stop, Ad Buzz" article I read, they said that the ad program may be expended. That would be niiice for me, I like to see those commerciald flashing in those tunnels.

by octr202

There's only one at Harvard...south of the station (just after the crossovers) inbound side only.

Its performance is sporadic at best. This week I've only seen it on once. Its so close to the crossovers that if the train hasn't accelerated immediately from the slow order around the curve and to the crossovers, it doesn't go off (they have a radar gun built in to the ad to make sure the train is at the right speed for the ad to look right...otherwise it doesn't turn on).

I've often wondered why they didn't install it further down towards Central, but maybe there's stuff on the walls there that we just can't see.

by 7 Train

I wouldn't mind in-tunnel advertising, but what the NYC Subway has been doing lately is a bit more innovative (in my mind) in advertising: wrapping an entire car interior in a single advertising theme. The S (42 Street) shuttle was wrapped for the HBO show Deadwood in March.

by F-line to Dudley via Park

octr202 wrote:There's only one at Harvard...south of the station (just after the crossovers) inbound side only.

Its performance is sporadic at best. This week I've only seen it on once. Its so close to the crossovers that if the train hasn't accelerated immediately from the slow order around the curve and to the crossovers, it doesn't go off (they have a radar gun built in to the ad to make sure the train is at the right speed for the ad to look right...otherwise it doesn't turn on).

I've often wondered why they didn't install it further down towards Central, but maybe there's stuff on the walls there that we just can't see.
There's an emergency exit on that tunnel wall a little further down towards Central Square which I think is the reason why the ad had to be placed where it was.

by ST214

I have been reading about these adds for a long time and i finally saw them today. All i have to say is AWESOME!!!!! Gives you a reason to look out the window!!! I saw both inbound and outbound adds beteween SS and Broadway. Both were running the H3 add.

Now, this is a program i would like to see expanded!!!!