• Amtrak Vermonter / Montrealer

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by theozno

jp1822 wrote:I have been on the Vermonter southbound a few times during what I guess one would all "peak period" riding and have seen Amtrak add a coach into the consist. For the southbound trip, that means the order of the train is electric engine - coach - business cass/cafe - coach - coach etc. It sort of displaces the positioning of the regular business class/cafe car. I've always taken this train and enjoyed the comforts of the 1/2 business class (2-1 seating) and 1/2 cafe section. However, according to previous posters on this thread, looks like the business class section is now replaced with a full business class car. Very much preferred the former business class (quieter, more intimate, less people etc.).

If Amtrak is displacing these 1/2 business class (2-1 seating) and 1/2 cafe section Amfleet cars, where are they going? Out of all of Amtrak's Amfleet cars, these cars, to me, are the best that Amtrak has to offer. Rumor was at what time that these cars were going to be more like "premium class cars" - offering similiar amenities as to what one found in an AmClub car.
I'm on 150 this morning using my AGR points :) we have a 1/2 buisness class 1/2 table cafe car on the back of this train. as for the Vermonter it did run Yesterday and on time despite the worst Flash Flooding that the Montpelier VT has seen in a long time
  by BuddSilverliner269

I would only see 54-55-56-57 between NYP and DC and recently I have seen 6 cars on most trains. What happens when it gets to New Haven or between New Haven eastward I dont know..
  by BigLou80

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:I would only see 54-55-56-57 between NYP and DC and recently I have seen 6 cars on most trains. What happens when it gets to New Haven or between New Haven eastward I dont know..
The coaches get really dirty, that's what happens when it gets north of New Haven lol
  by Stephen B. Carey

I saw the SB Vermonter today in Berlin, CT. What surprised me was that it only had one engine on it today #201 to be exact. Is this a regular thing or did they take the other engine off in Springfield or something?
  by shadyjay

Vermonter is not operating north of Springfield due to scheduled CSX track work. Good thing, too, because earlier in the week there was a derailment on the NECR in Amherst, plus yesterday's tornado damage has, I'm sure, affected the route as well.

As the train is solely operating from Springfield to Washington DC, only one locomotive is required.
  by Stephen B. Carey

Oh wow, I didn't know that. I walked around the station and there were no signs saying anything about the service change. Any idea when the Vermonter will be returning to its regular schedule or has the recent weather changed the plans?
  by shadyjay

Vermonter bus-titution was to end today (6/3). I have also heard that starting in the next few weeks, there will be significant long term bussing on the Vermonter due to ARRA-funded track work in Vermont. I've heard the crews will be working 3 weeks straight, then a week off. I'll post details/dates when I have them, but its looking like a lot of bustitutions this summer on the Vermonter route.
  by Jeff Smith

Quick question: when I saw the above post, I searched for Amtrak news releases regarding the bus-tition. Nothing came up on my regularly scheduled Google News alert, so I was surprised.

Is there some magical spot on the Amtrak web-site where they issue service advisories that I can't find?
  by shadyjay

For some reason, this latest bustitution was not advertised with a service alert on amtrak.com. It was asked about a week or so ago why the "8000-series" train number on amtrak.com reservations starting the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. Going ahead in time a week or so on reservations saw the resume of service on Friday 6/3. Also noting a service alert for the Lake Shore Limited on the B&A during the same period and knowing that the Vermonter also uses this line for 15 miles, and we're able to determine the reason.

Looking at the Amtrak status maps at http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/Amtrak ... tatusMaps/, we can confirm that there was no 55 this morning, but 56 is operating, although running about 30-40 minutes late at present.

Hopefully Amtrak will announce with a "service alert" any longer-term changes in transportation modes this summer.
  by Dick H

Both Vermonters north of Springfield are showing as "sold out" on Monday (6/6),
which is Amtrak's way of saying the trains are cancelled with no bustitution.
  by theozno

85 People North of White River JCt. holy cow! sounds like a lot
  by Station Aficionado

Just curious--anyone have a sense of whether Dartmouth students are significant part of the ridership at WRJ? It's such a short distance to Hanover, NH.
  by shadyjay

I do know that WRJ is the 2nd busiest station along the line (in Vermont, that is) and with Dartmouth nearby, no doubt it can attract a good amount of ridership. I know before school breaks, ESX (the Burlington stop) can put on or take off sometimes over 200, and did pretty recently.
  by shadyjay

Looks like June 18 is the tentative start date for long-term bustitution of the Vermonter. By long term, I mean somewhere in the neighborhood of 65 days.

Let's see if Amtrak actually puts out a "Service Alert" on their site this go-around.